The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Matchbox Penetration-How to make gimmick tight (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Daniel Clemente
View Profile
Special user
Mount Joy, PA
790 Posts

Profile of Daniel Clemente
I just received on here the Spain version of matchbox penetration. The version where most American matchboxes are just slightly smaller then the block of brass...one thing I noticed on mine since it was lightly used was the gimmick was loose...those who have this version know what I'm talking about...well I slid the gimmick all the way out, removing it from the block, and took some clear nail polish. I lightly coated the inside track of the brass block, let it dry for a few mins and viola! It's silent, smooth as could be and the gimmick is tight!! Just wanted to pass on this tip that worked great...for those who want to spark this effect back up again. I tried it several times today using The Danny Orleans method. Fried people!!
Daniel Clemente
View Profile
Special user
Mount Joy, PA
790 Posts

Just to ad to this...it takes a very light coat of the polish...to much and you will get your gimmick stuck and could be difficult to get out...
mtgoldstein
View Profile
Veteran user
Houston, TX
325 Posts

Profile of mtgoldstein
Great info. Thanks, mines been sitting in a drawer for years just for this very reason. I'm not familiar w the Danny Orleans method. Do you have a source or some info on it?
Tnx. Mark
Sammy J.
View Profile
Inner circle
Castle Rock, Colorado
1786 Posts

Profile of Sammy J.
Just search YouTube for Danny Orleans and you will find performance footage of his wonderful routine!

Sammy
Sammy J. Teague
Daniel Clemente
View Profile
Special user
Mount Joy, PA
790 Posts

The routine is genius! He takes the effect and changes it from a penetration to an appearance...I love performing it. I only wish that our American matchboxes would fit the Spain version. It's just a tad to thick
Leo Reynolds Jr
View Profile
Special user
864 Posts

Profile of Leo Reynolds Jr
Thanks for the tip on the block getting loose.

I found out Staple Boxes will fit the block a 1000 box of staples come in a small box at our K-Mart. Looking for a prestation idea for the staple box.You might have to glue end flaps down. Also try e-bay for matchboxes from Europe. Danny Orleans sold me some a while back not sure how many he has.

Best
Leo Jr
Pedro Nieves
View Profile
New user
Chicago, IL
52 Posts

Profile of Pedro Nieves
Hello everyone!

I just wanted to touch base with anybody interested in the Original Matchbox Penetration "Cerillas Bloques" to let you know that Magic Inc. in Chicago just bought the manufacturing and distribution rights from Selecciones Magicas. Jose Llacer came up with the concept and the original Brass Block Penetration in 1995, and since then it has become a modern day classic. Unfortunately many "versions" of the trick have come into the market since. Most used a simplified manufacturing process that unfortunatelly is not as mysterious in the workings (split-down-the-middle).

So, since Llacer and Selecciones Magicas were no longer making these, we decided to give it the royal treatment! We bought the rights, and are now making them in the USA (right here in Chicago). We also made 2 little adjustments that make this even quieter than the original, and that keep the secret hidden even when the piece starts to tarnish (no more half circle on the short side).

As a bonus, when you buy this from us you will get a copy of Danny Orlean's Magic Alchemy routine, which in my opinion is the best routine for this trick. It takes it from a puzzle (how did the match go through the block) to MAGIC! (where did the metal block come from, and how did it get here?). Because of this, it throws the scent in the opposite direction of the original routine, and makes it a truly mystifying magic effect. This is the routine performed by both Marco Tempest and Steve Cohen in television appearances across the world! As a side note, you can only do this routine with the Original Matchbox Penetration, and not with any of the modern versions.

So, if you want to see Danny's routine, feel free to check it out on our site (same link as before):

http://www.magicinc.net/MagicBoxPenetrat......ion.aspx

And if you have any questions about this new version, the workings, routine or anything else relating to this, please do not hesitate to ask, either here or through PM.

Cheers,

Pedro Nieves
Magic Inc.
blackstone99
View Profile
Regular user
169 Posts

Profile of blackstone99
Thanks
Will check it out