The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Porper Ghostly Linking Finger Ring and Penguin (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Ben Whiting
View Profile
Loyal user
Traverse City, MI
246 Posts

Profile of Ben Whiting
How is penguin selling this at nearly $200 under Porper's price?

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S12286

Are these Chinese knockoffs? Or do they have some deal with Joe and Pete and this is a great deal? I'd love to purchase the effect at this price but not if it's at someone's expense.

Ben
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
If they are dealing in the normal old time percentages of 60/40%. Then they are still making a good large profit even selling with that $173.75 savings to the customer. I have not known Penguin Magic to do unethical practices. They buy through wholesalers of magic, and run their business for quick sales and profit with inventory turnover. This is not how old magic stores used to sell magic, you use to pay their price and there was never never any sales on magic items.

The current China Knock off is selling at $35.00 so they should be giving a greater discount if they were selling one of those.

Of course no one but them knows, why not just email them and ask them - or use their "Ask Us" button. Of course they could not tell the truth, but then you have some grounds to get your money back.

I ordered one of the China Knock Offs just to find out if they are junk, I will get it is several weeks, and was plannning to post a review.
spetz
View Profile
New user
46 Posts

Profile of spetz
Quote:
On 2012-07-22 17:18, Bill Hegbli wrote:

I ordered one of the China Knock Offs just to find out if they are junk, I will get it is several weeks, and was plannning to post a review.

On the China Knock of Site the you can't spot the difference. They are probably using Porpers original footage. It would be very interesting if you would share some information about this.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Those videos are taken off the Internet of other magicians performing the trick. It in no way shows them using the "knock off" ring sets. So they may be using the Porper sets in the videos.

I ordered mine off ebay, as dealing direct is just to much of a hassle to get payment to them.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I had a difficult time with them copying the instruction sheets. Almost impossible to tell them from our originals UNTIL I DISCOVERED their paper size is metric and is about 1/8-inch shorter than ours. I bought Just a Key and it broke second time I used it. Their card clips copied with Joe Porper's name on them are junk, you can grab them and pull them apart.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Acar
View Profile
Elite user
471 Posts

Profile of Acar
Just to chime in and clarify, Penguin Magic has never sold (and will absolutely NEVER sell) a counterfeit product. We're only selling original, genuine Joe Porper magic. Our prices are set to both save customers money and also compete in our marketplace. Nothing more, nothing less.

Anyway, Joe Porper is a master craftsman. I'd rather try to counterfeit money than copy his magic Smile
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5454 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
I totally agree. It has to be the real deal or nothing for me! If I was going to get this item I would have no hesitation from buying from Penquin Magic.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3519 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
It looks like the fake rings have been taken off of eBay, that's great! Walt
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
That is because I bought them! Real junk!