The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Care and feeding of ITR (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Sleightofbrain
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of Sleightofbrain
I learned a bit of magic as a kid...just inherited a good bit of kit from a relative and figuring out what works...

I've got a few Indian TR and a T Genie. ( and a working Spider Pen).
The elastic broke in three of them over the span of a few hours.
What elastic do you recommend?
One of my instruction manuals at least attempts to explain how to repair them....yikes.

OR as an alternative, would I better off buying a fresh one and in a model that is less problematic?

By the way...I've rigged a few strands of IT to practice without the ITR

THANKS
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3713 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
Practice with the spider pen. It's an excellent IT device, however it does require a lot of patience. If you want to work with a reel, get an ALPHA reel. The thread is exposed and they are very simple to re-thread if the thread breaks. Take your other reels and throw them away. Just my 2 cents.

Jim
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Having about 30 years IT experience, I also have no use for an ITR. I've had and used at least half a dozen different ITR's. If you can use one, great! Myself, I'm finding that Vectra is said to be the strongest IT, but I still just use regular W****y N***n serger thread.

ITR's all suffer from thread breakage. Nature of the beast...

Doug
nonvpro
View Profile
Inner circle
1844 Posts

Profile of nonvpro
One of my favorite all time effects utilizes a reel. The effect I'm referring to is my handling of the "Haunted Deck" similar to Nicholas Einhorn's "Spooked" but with a different hook-up system for the reel and reel placement location. I perform my Haunted deck routine no less than 6 times per evening 3 evenings a week and seldom break the thread. I've been using the same reel now going on 6 months. My reel of choice is Sorcery's "Original Thread Boss" which utilizes "Wooly Nylon" thread. Here is a link for it:

http://itrmagictricks.com/I._T._R.__tm-O......nfo.html

However, there was a lengthy learning curve in conjunction with a much improved reel attachment system and location.
Sleightofbrain
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of Sleightofbrain
Thanks for the tips!
Will hopefully save me hours of frustration....would rather practice Smile