The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Feedback on my linking rings/ ring&rope routine (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
strat1227
View Profile
Regular user
Florida
189 Posts

Profile of strat1227
Hey guys, working on my routine of linking rings and ring&rope tricks. This is my first draft of the routine so feel free to nitpick anything you see that you think can be improved.

I'm still learning all the moves so while I won't complain about "get better at ____ move" comments, they'll be mostly pointless since I'm actively trying to get better at ALL the moves lol.

Anyway, let me know what you think

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HT2jO354fEI

Best,
Alex
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
OK, the question is, "How do your audiences like it?"
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
strat1227
View Profile
Regular user
Florida
189 Posts

Profile of strat1227
Quote:
On 2012-07-15 01:48, Pete Biro wrote:
OK, the question is, "How do your audiences like it?"

Haha well for better or worse, I'm the type of person who can't perform something until I'm really happy with it first. So I wanted to get some feedback from you guys on the routine before really polishing it 100%, then I'll be ready to (hopefully) wow some people Smile
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3669 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
If you haven't done it for people yet you are missing the most valuable feed back. I like a lot of it.

I seems a little long as it is.

Perhaps you could break it into shorter pieces that you feel more comfortable with and get something out there so you begin to get a feeling for what goes over and how to play that up.

Birds gotta fly...

Magic needs to amaze to really become Magic. People will breath life into this routine.

-Mary Mowder
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Okay, here is my assessment. Very good! All you need is a few things. Remember, the rings have to be handled by a spectator. So work into your routine handing the rings to someone during the sequence.

The rope through neck should have a little more snap in it.

Your rope is to long for the size ring you are using, cut a foot off the rope.

Keep the rings at chest level more during the whole routine.

As you learn the routine and commet it to memory, you will then be able to concentrat on the audience, and the each link and penetration more, so work on emphasizing each penetration more through voice inflection and performing some slowly and other quickly. In other words to keep it interesting, vary it in different ways with your personality.

There is no need to shoot your arms out and get in the face of anyone, that is seen as an attack on the person. If you lean in toward them, with a smile on your face and soften your voice, this will help emphasize a move or hand them a ring or bring it in close to their eyes, you move in also, don't shoot things out at them. Remember manners count when dealing with people.

You have several false finishes or climaxes, so go for the applause. Then find a catch sentence to begin again or as you introduce the rope.
taiga
View Profile
Veteran user
Chicoutimi, Qc
317 Posts

Profile of taiga
Do yourself a favor... Whenever it will be possible, get a bigger set of rings! You work well with them, but you would benefit from bigger accessories. The second part of your routine (ring+rope) need more effects and a better pacing! Why finish your routine by tying the rope around your neck? You have done a good job, now you need to refine everything. Bravo!
strat1227
View Profile
Regular user
Florida
189 Posts

Profile of strat1227
Thanks for all the comments guys!!

I'll take them all into consideration as I polish this routine, and I'll report back here once I present it a few times Smile

If anyone else has any comments or suggestions I'm all ears!
Motley Mage
View Profile
Special user
572 Posts

Profile of Motley Mage
You've got the mechanics of most of this down very nicely--though I agree with Bill that your rope through neck is too "loose." I find if I tilt my head back I can actually grip the rope a bit with my neck as I "strain" to pull the rope through my neck. Otherwise, what you really need is a more enthusiastic delivery, which (as others have pointed out) will only come with performing live. Interacting with the camera is great for practicing moves, but the reactions of real people will help you more with pacing and delivery and give the routine life.
Hugh Entwistle
View Profile
Regular user
177 Posts

Profile of Hugh Entwistle
I loved your linking rings except you need to emphasise your penetrations, in particular when they unlink, I suggest you play around with seperating them, it can become much more visual than it already is with a few extra motions. Your rope routine is boring (sorry), I would suggest doing a brief ring on rope and then continue onto a profs nightmare or fiber optics routine. I don't know if you wanted to actually base the whole routine on the 'linking rings' but I was quickly bored with the rope routine and there are many rope routines that are more visual. Your rope through neck needs to be more quick. (Pop it off rather than slip it off - give it a sharp jerk when removed.)

I'm not sure what setting you had in mind but after your linking ring routine you could introduce Ninja + and pass it around while you introduce a flashy rope routine (regardless of whether it will be ring on rope or just rope)

I loved the 1st half of the video though!