The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Doing Wedding Proposal Using Magic - How and What to Do? (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
zhuanan
View Profile
Veteran user
383 Posts

Profile of zhuanan
Dear Fellow Magi:

Need your advice on how would you think one can use magic for wedding proposal.
The criteria/plot needs to include the following:

1) Performer starts off with performance of magic (the Girl Friend of performer is not aware and does not expect a proposal at all at this stage, she just watches the magic, like in the past);
2) Surprise revelation/ production of the wedding ring (without ring box);
3) The Girl Friend of performer is pleasantly surprised, and had a feeling on what is coming, but performer has not proposed using the ring;
4) The performer suggests performing another piece of magic using the ring;
5) The lady happily agrees;
6) The performer does the magic, and oops, the ring seems to be destroyed/vanished but no where to be found;
7) The performer in trouble, the lady watches;
8) The performer tries to bring back the ring but instead produced a ring box - performer explains that the ring box contains the ring (but...pls read on);
9) Performer asks the lady to watch closely when he opens the ring box, but oops, nothing is in the ring box, the ring remains un-found, performer in trouble again;
10) Performer tries a few times and then finally located the ring from an impossible location
11) The lady gasps, performer proposes to her, and she agrees

What effect would you recommend in:

1) Producing the ring;
2) Vanishing the ring;
3) Not able to locating the ring;
4) Producing the ring box
5) Locating the ring at final stage.

Appreciate your comments.
Thank you!
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4770 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
Wedding Ring Redux in Kingdom of the Red is perfect for that occasion. It doesn't include all your criteria but it combines magic, poetry, and emotion in an amazing two minutes of entertainment. It's in Ch.23. It is also performed and taught on the companion DVD. It requires practice but there are no impossible moves. A ring, a rope or cord. No gaffs or extras.

Larry Smile
rklew64
View Profile
Inner circle
1265 Posts

Profile of rklew64
Really, Do you have to?!
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4248 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
A girl will want to remember and treasure her proposal in the years to come.

Unless you are *sure* she will like this, DON'T DO IT!
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
rklew64
View Profile
Inner circle
1265 Posts

Profile of rklew64
If you are compelled to Perform your proposal - I say wear tails and a rocking cape and as a kicker, do some mentalism effect as the closer.
puggo
View Profile
Inner circle
2022 Posts

Profile of puggo
This has been discussed before, so it could be worth a search. Many would advise not to use magic to propose unless you are REALLY sure, I would agree.
Having said that, if you are going to use magic, how about the 'Keep It Simple S.....' approach, e.g. rose production with the ring in the rose head / on the stem. If this is one of the most special moments in a lifetime, how would the lady remember / describe it?
Option a: "well first this happened, them that, after some byplay, this turned into that before vanishing into.."
Option b: "he made a rose appear out of nowhere and there was a beautiful ring inside the petals..."
Could be a case of clarity of effect?

Whatever you do, best wishes!

Charlie
rklew64
View Profile
Inner circle
1265 Posts

Profile of rklew64
Would like to know the response!
SmileAndNod
View Profile
Veteran user
316 Posts

Profile of SmileAndNod
I performed a wedding for my brother and he wanted me to magically produce the rings. What I did was the appearing candle, light candle, reach into flame (with flash paper) and make ring appear.
cardking
View Profile
Regular user
Ottawa, Canada
138 Posts

Profile of cardking
If you're going to, just stick with the production. No need for a whole routine, the focus is on her not you. Do ring flash....if you must.
cardking
View Profile
Regular user
Ottawa, Canada
138 Posts

Profile of cardking
If you're going to, just stick with the production. No need for a whole routine, the focus is on her not you. Do ring flash....if you must.