The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: My new handmade Wands (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Magician Shaun
View Profile
Special user
Huntington BCH, CA
924 Posts

Profile of Magician Shaun
I made these today. I have been searching the internet and the only really good wands I saw were Joe Porpers. They are nice, but $200 seems a bit steep to me. They are 5/8" in diameter and 13-3/4" long. One is made from Black Walnut and the other is Oak. The caps are Solid Copper. I found a place I can get Exotic hardwoods from and plan to make some more in the future. These are natural wood, no stain, just sanding and Tongue Oil. What do you guys think of these?
Magician Shaun
View Profile
Special user
Huntington BCH, CA
924 Posts

Ok, so the upload failed the pics are too big, here is a link to the two pics.
https://picasaweb.google.com/11180781469......rectlink

https://picasaweb.google.com/11180781469......rectlink

I will try to get some better pics up tomorrow after they finish curing. I will get them in the light without the flash...
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5695 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle

In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I like wands that look like a magicians wand, your end caps are kind of short. The end caps should be 1-1/2 inch in length covering the end.

Just my opinion.
Magician Shaun
View Profile
Special user
Huntington BCH, CA
924 Posts

Actually that is not a problem. I will make the next with 1.5" end caps and post it here. Seeking the opinions and criticism of other magi is the purpose.

I am hoping to make sone with stainless tips and another with brass.
I also had some ideas for exchangeable tips, with and without gimmicks.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5965 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
The caps don't seem to be a color that compliments the rest of the wand. There's a reason that some will spend serious cash for some wands. I think some magicians want a wand that inspires them. I use some nice wands, but they didn't break the bank. A little innovation can go a long way, in making wands that will be in demand.
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5695 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
I like wands that don't appear to be brand new/pristine. Eric Evans made me one with bullet casings for the caps and the wood on the wand is very warped. It has lots of character and I think it ran me about $70...maybe more.
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
Magician Shaun
View Profile
Special user
Huntington BCH, CA
924 Posts

These wands were created for use on the street. They will likely be handed to kids at times, dropped, banged, and scratched. I suspect that for a street wand, they will be excellent!
Greg Collett
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of Greg Collett
Good job. I'm also a drummer and I think the never ending search for that Perfect stick is akin to the hunt for that "perfect" wand. Keep up the good work
"He's a miracle waiting for us to happen."
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
2152 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
I think it is good to make your own wand if you don't find what you want at a price you can afford. You might consider turning the ends a little thinner and using a smaller diameter of tubing so the tips are even with the body of the wand. Or not.

My favorite wand has only two little turned grooves to deliniate the tips as different from the body. It is just one piece of wood.

If you get into turning at all, you might also make wands as pitch items, if that is something you like. Harry Potter style wands are fun and fairly easy to make.

-Patrick
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Nice! Are they chopped?

The only other feature I have looked for is a narrower taper in the middle. This changes the spin characteristics of the wand without weighting the ends. I have done a couple for myself, but am very new at turning the wood.

Jim
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
rklew64
View Profile
Inner circle
1265 Posts

Profile of rklew64
The caps seem out of place - to me, but great effort! What is important is that you are happy with them.
Magician Shaun
View Profile
Special user
Huntington BCH, CA
924 Posts

I have considered making the caps both longer or inlaid. The thing is, I wanted them to look different than what everyone carries. Also it seems that the "classic" magician's wand was first used by Robert-Houdin, an ebony shaft with white ivory tips,....From: Joe Lantiere, "Secret Art Journal";
"During the middle ages, conjurers began using wands to imitate their religious counterparts. They began assigning great powers to their instruments. Magic wands were commonly used by European conjurers by the 15th Century. In fact, a gaffed wand, loaded with a rolled-up playing card, was first mentioned in 1740.
Since the 19th Century, tarot cards featured early street-performing conjurers wielding wands. Nineteenth Century French magician Robert-Houdin was probably the first modern magician, i.e. the first magician to discard the robes of the wizard and perform a stage show in a formal gentleman’s attire. Early in the 1800′s, Robert-Houdin wrote of Italian magician Giovanni Bosco using a wand in his act. Bosco wiped the wand with a white handkerchief and tapped a copper globe above his head three times while saying the “magic words” : “Spiriti miei infernali, obedite.” Robert-Houdin also used a wand, black ebony centered with white ivory tips, the tips representing polarity & energy, in the past represented by the copper/steel/crystal tips.
This classic wand has remained with us today as a symbol of the magician’s power."

Mr. Mystoffelees,

Do you mean prepared for a "Chop Cup" routine? If so, not currently as I am not performing any type of Cup and Ball routine at the moment. Unfortunately after being away from magic for several years (about 6), I found that my set of Cups and Balls had been lost in a move. I do plan to order some neodymium magnets for some of my future attempts. I have also thought about creating changeable screw in ends that would be gimmicked. I would like to do both a magnetic tip and a ITR tip. I haven't thought of any other type of wand gimmick I would like to use but those first two could make amazing magic happen by themselves. I suppose if I go the route of making gimmicked tips I will need to increase the length of the end caps to 1.5", especially for the ITR end. I will of course design my own custom ITR for this purpose.

If anyone has any additional ideas as to useful wand gimmicks that could be concealed within a 1.5" long space and diameter of 5/8" I would be glad to hear them.
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1974 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
That action site we're not suppose to mention has 12" Gabon Enony turning blocks, four for $40.00.
Pen making sites have some interesting things too.
Also FWI http://www.alivans.com/custom/cart/edit.asp?p=96083
One of the last living 10-in-one performers. I wanted to be in show business the worst way, and that was it.
Magician Shaun
View Profile
Special user
Huntington BCH, CA
924 Posts

Ring master,

There are actually various sites that you can order both turning blanks and preturned dowel rods if you are so inclined. I think if you know the thickness of the wand you want to make, you can order the dowels in 3' or 4' lengths in the types of wood you want and then you will be able to easily complete the process on your own. It will save a lot of trouble in the long run.
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1974 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
Yes, personally I just made two mercury wands from round bar stock and shrink tubing from Ace.
Well under $10.00
One of the last living 10-in-one performers. I wanted to be in show business the worst way, and that was it.
Corbett
View Profile
Inner circle
Indiana
1163 Posts

Profile of Corbett
I've had a few wands made recently by this fine craftsman, http://www.jazzysnazzymagic.com

Great wands, exotic woods, made to order if you don't find what you're looking for, and it doesn't break the bank. I've had Bruce make 2 for me, both made to order with my choice of woods, size, aestetics, etc..
MagicJuggler
View Profile
Inner circle
Anchorage, AK
1161 Posts

Profile of MagicJuggler
I think this wand would look interesting if you put additional pink caps on the ends to make it look like a double sided pencil.

Oh, and if you want the best in wands, I'm talking real peices of art, you can't go wrong with Thomas Wayne's custom wands. (believe me, the man can do designs using inlay better than most people could do with a predesigned sticker) He's a good friend of Joe Porper and if I'm not mistaken was the one who encouraged Joe to make his own wands. Both men are consumate custom pool cue guys that are heavily into magic, so the transition from making cues to wands was just a short hop. Either one makes excellent wands and are extremely fine craftsmen.
Matthew Olsen

I heard from a friend that anecdotal evidence is actually quite reliable.
Corbett
View Profile
Inner circle
Indiana
1163 Posts

Profile of Corbett
I don't disagree with you MagicJuggler, but the average guy can't spend $150-200 on a magic wand. It's just not reasonable.
Magician Shaun
View Profile
Special user
Huntington BCH, CA
924 Posts

Aye especially one to bang on the table and cups...