The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: IT for clumsy people (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Hugh Entwistle
View Profile
Regular user
177 Posts

Profile of Hugh Entwistle
I am so clumsy with IT and I can never seem to get the hang of it, I bought the Tarantula but it broke and knotted together all the time, are there any ITR that are more easy to control and hard to break?
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
The easy answer is No! What you are describing, is that you are not practicing enough. IT takes weeks to get the feel and handling down so you cannot claim your are clumsy. All you need is patients and practice, if you are not willing to suffer a little for your art, then chose something else.

Also, never present this type of trick if the conditions are not right for presenting it. This is a special occasion trick.

So if you are really serious, fix your Tarantula and keep practicing.
Ekuth
View Profile
Inner circle
Floating above my
1538 Posts

Profile of Ekuth
Were I you, I would abandon the Tarantula and get yourself a hank of W****y N***n.
Practice with it until you have a feel for the thread with a static hookup.
Then move to kevlar thread and finally to an ITR.

THEN take out the Tarantula and decide if it's worth using.

Starting IT work with a Tarantula is like learning to drive in a drag racer.
"All you need is in Fitzkee."
ralphs007
View Profile
Inner circle
1087 Posts

Profile of ralphs007
Quote:
On 2012-05-01 09:50, wmhegbli wrote:

Also, never present this type of trick if the conditions are not right for presenting it. This is a special occasion trick.

How true. One of the biggest problems with IT. You put in tons of practice and if the condition aren't right forget it.
"You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him".
James D. Miles
Hugh Entwistle
View Profile
Regular user
177 Posts

Profile of Hugh Entwistle
Quote:
On 2012-05-01 10:39, Ekuth wrote:
Were I you, I would abandon the Tarantula and get yourself a hank of W****y N***n.

I have no idea what that means? If it compromises the secret could you PM me.
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2736 Posts

Profile of RS1963
As has been said already. Practice lots and lots of practice when it comes to working with I.T. regardless of if your using something like an I.T.R. or not. I never thought I would get the ability to work with I.T. well enough to actually perform with it. I was mistaken on that. Granted I had the advantage of working for Houdini's and having to demonstrate the U.F.O. for hours on end day after day. But I know that after all the years I spent there if I ever wanted to work with I.T. in my own act I could very easily do so.

My best advice is practice everyday for a month or more and you will get the hang of using it.

I had worked on the Fred Kaps Floating and Dancing Cork off and on for years and never felt like I could do it. But as I said knowing what I know now I would have no problem getting started and actually use it if I decide to do so.
whiteoakcanyon
View Profile
Special user
899 Posts

Profile of whiteoakcanyon
If this is something you want to achieve don't give up. Not all threads or thread reels are the same. Although I have not personally worked with Vectra thread it is supposed to be strong. I purchased Magic Balay's DVD Centrifugal which includes an ITR and it was a very positive experience. I broke the thread a lot initially but with practice it all came together. The DVD walks through everything you need to know about the ITR. Highly recommended!
mickym
View Profile
Loyal user
236 Posts

Profile of mickym
I would recommend this site:
http://www.emagicsupply.com/index.php?ma......5ea7a51e
where you can find various levels IT items.
Micky
scottjenkins
View Profile
Loyal user
218 Posts

Profile of scottjenkins
W****y N***n? Only thing I could think of was Willy Nelson, and that can't be it! Can you pm me too and tell me what it is?
Thanks!
Scott Jenkins
Magician Member of the AMA
Joe Porper's partner!
jskalon
View Profile
Special user
Shorewood, IL.
869 Posts

Profile of jskalon
Willy Nelson. Thanks for the laugh Scott!
Jack Skalon

"That's my story and I'm stickin' to it"
rriggs
View Profile
New user
La Fontaine, Indiana
21 Posts

Profile of rriggs
The Titan Reel from Sorcery Shop works quite well. It has become one of my favorite ITRs. It uses Vectra thread.
killaklownkris
View Profile
New user
Great Britain (Manchester)
45 Posts

Profile of killaklownkris
Quote:
On 2012-05-01 10:46, ralphs007 wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-05-01 09:50, wmhegbli wrote:

How true. One of the biggest problems with IT. You put in tons of practice and if the condition aren't right forget it.

This is so true,one of my first it tricks I learn was shimshI's it work and has took me years to perfect,but I never use it,maybe for competition one day as levitation is one of the most powerful tricks ever done.
:0)