The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Ring and string (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
What is the best ring and string effect gimmicked or not that is not hard to learn and perform.
todd
randirain
View Profile
Inner circle
Fort Worth, TX
1654 Posts

Profile of randirain
Original Swing-a-ring as far as gimmicks go.

But just learn the moves for ungimmicked routines.
They're not that hard.

Randi
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
Thanks randi
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3669 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Jay Sankey has an Effect called leaving home. It uses a key but it can easily be done with a ring. It's a little knacky but very visual.

Don't be too concerned about how hard something is to learn if you like the Effect. Regular practice adds up and if something is a little daunting very few people will be doing it. It's one way to differentiate yourself from other Magicians.

-Mary Mowder
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6146 Posts

Profile of motown
Quote:
On 2011-11-09 00:28, bowers wrote:
What is the best ring and string effect
gimmicked or not that is not hard to learn and perform.
todd
What type of ring are you talking about?
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
Thanks mary motown I like the effect put out by jay leslie ultimate ring and string. I don't mind practicing but between work family and shows I don't wont something that takes a long time to perfect.
todd
volto
View Profile
Special user
603 Posts

Profile of volto
I keep revisiting this area because rings are great for impromptu. Mark Leveridge's routine on his 'Master Routines' DVD is great. Ungimmicked, four moves (magically on, magically off, threaded on, magically off, threaded on, magically off in their hands). Ungimmicked - so you can use a borrowed ring - and although it involves moves, with only four moves to master it's not too hard to learn. It's very clean.

Alternatively Greg Wilson's "ring leader" DVD has a load of stuff on it, but I found it a little impenetrable. It's more like an encyclopedia of moves than a single strong, coherent routine. It does have a lot of moves, though.

Scott F Guinn's "Symphony for ring and string" is worth a mention too, as another excellent, coherent and visual routine.

If you liked "ultimate ring and string" because of the chinese coins then maybe "charming chinese challenge" by Troy Hooser would be worth a look; it's also an ungimmicked, very practical routine.

Or, have you considered a Jardine Ellis ring? The Kreiss Magic "Hexagonal Ellis Ring" set is pretty neat, if you can justify using a strange hexagonal ring. This ring is good for the ring on/off the spectators thumb under the silk, too. It comes with the traditional Ellis ring and another component that's handy for ring and string. Then there's the Amazering from Joe Porper, which is great for linking finger rings and ring on glass stem, but I think ring on string isn't its strong suit.

Of all of these, I think Mark Leveridge's routine just edges it on the cleanliness and simplicity. The fact that you're using their ring and the finale is in their hands sells it for me. You can always add on the Regal Ring chain or another "impossible location" for a big finish.
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Volto,

I respect your opinion and your magic knowledge is considerable but I feel compelled to comment on your observation of Ringleader. Wilson describes it as a modular routine and I have performed various phases of it as one-offs and also the full fledged routine. Wislon DOES offer a lot of moves and in that I agree with you, but I think it is rather misleading to state that there is not a single strong coherent routine.

YMMV of course.

Ahimsa,
Vlad
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
I ordered the streaming video of Eric Decamps at Elmwood Magic. It was only 5 bucks. It's a a five segment routine with a ring and a string.very nice moves in it.
todd
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Hold the phone!

Are we talking about finger ring and string, or harness ring and rope? I also balk at the notion of "best"; so I'm going to mention resources that you can check out, and decide which is best for you and your audience.

The easiest/cheapest intro to harness ring and rope would be Fulves self working Rope Magic. You could put together your own routine. More extensive/expensive would be from Daryls Expert Rope Magic (vol 2 or 3?), and the book, Encyclopedia of Rope Tricks, or Tarbell!

For finger rings,
- there are various forms (and numerous sources, including the newer version of Wilson's Complete Course) for a Sefalalgia (sp) type effects (ring comes off a string while under a handkerchief, but the ends are visible),
- or Tarbell V1 p137 has a wonderful effect where the ring comes off, even though the spectator holds the ends!
- Magic for Dummies has a wonderful effect where a ring comes off a loop of string that is looped over the spectators thumbs. So simple, but it really mystifies the people I've done this for.
:

Enjoy! This is a fun area of magic for myself.
John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
Thanks for the information john.
volto
View Profile
Special user
603 Posts

Profile of volto
Hey Vlad - likewise, I enjoy your posts. You've pointed me at a lot of cool stuff and you clearly know your onions. Smile

Anyhow, you're right, I wasn't fair on Ringleader. There is a main routine, Greg demonstrates it right at the start and it's excellent. The DVD is an amazing source for moves; the teaching is great and Greg is one of the few magic teachers that it's actually fun just to sit back and watch. I guess I should have said that although Ringleader has been one of my best purchases, I found the main routine didn't really fit my style so I cobbled together my own routine from the (many) moves taught - a process I found difficult (hence "impenetrable" in my comment).

I should explain why the main routine, as presented, didn't suit me. The presentation focusses on the ring being in peril and the comedy that comes from that. There are also a few "sucker" moments. The implicit explanation is trickery rather than magic. Now, I know that's Greg's style and it works brilliantly for him, because it's the theme of his act and he has both the pickpocket chops and the chutzpah to pull it off, but I'm just not that kind of guy. If I tried it, my volunteer would either burst into tears or hit me. The problem is that if you remove both the "ring in peril" and sucker elements completely, you pretty much hamstring the routine; you have to drop the first 'sucker' phase and without the false explanation that follows, the over the shoulder part is hard to get into. The ending on your finger still works though. On the other hand, Leveridge's routine works as a straight magical presentation. The ring can go on and off by magic rather than trickery, there's not much sense of danger and the ring ends up in their own hand.

So I guess I should've said - Ringleader is great but the main routine didn't fit my style, so I wound up using it as a reference for moves. But you're right, it's not fair to say that ringleader is impenetrable - it isn't, the teaching is great. And it does have a clear, central routine. This is kind of a 9/10 versus 10/10 thing, is what I'm trying to say. Thanks for calling me out on this; I'd hate anyone to avoid Ringleader because I wasn't clear. You're right, my comment wasn't fair. Hope this explains where I was coming from a little better. Smile
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Volto

I'm glad you clarified that. I too see Ring Leader as very good for learning MANY moves, but wasn't sold on the routine itself.

Do you know if Leveridge's routine is in any other place, such as the L&L DVD? which has at least some things from Leveridge.

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
volto
View Profile
Special user
603 Posts

Profile of volto
Hi John, yup, it's on a couple of L&L dvds. If you mean the L&L finger ring DVD, it's on there. I actually ended up buying this routine in several ways:

1) The World's Greatest Finger Ring Magic DVD, from L&L.
2) Mark Leveridge "Master Routine Series" DVD, again from L&L and on Mark's own site ( http://www.markleveridge.co.uk/ ).
3) The Master Routine Series book, again from Mark's site.
4) Ring and String Deluxe, which has more in-depth teaching and two more moves. Again, from Mark's site. I bought this after getting the standard routine down pat and it's well worth the extra purchase, even if you're just doing the standard routine; there are a couple of extra subtleties both with moves and in terms of direction of attention. The two extra moves are both stunners.

It's possible to buy just the standard routine from Mark's site for £5, if that's all you're after. But a lot of his stuff is brilliant -
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=111
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=111
"People gasp" is right... Smile
Feral Chorus
View Profile
Elite user
CA
496 Posts

Profile of Feral Chorus
The Leveridge routine is on L&L's Finger Ring Magic DVD, which also has the very good Dan Fleshman routine which hasn't been mentioned yet.

Along the Lines of Swing-a-ring is Fantasma's Linking Ring Through String. I prefer the Fantasma routine, the gimmick is well hidden and with very little audience management everything can be examined. The routine is easy to learn and perform as Bowers wanted. Don't believe me, see the Magic Friday review.

http://magicfriday.blogspot.com/2008/11/......_16.html
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Volto,

Great explanation and I can see now in re-reading your other posts why your argument makes sense. I too do not like the "trickery" aspect as it it doesn't "fit" me unless I am doing a monte, TSG, or F&L. THOSE should look tricky because they are small cons.

I like the fact that you took the modularity of Wilson's routine and made it your own. I would say my friend that is speaks to your knowledge and obviously impenetrability was not such an issue. Now come gimme a man hug!! LOL

I will have to check out the Leveridge routine you and others have suggested. I have the Master Routines series - but in print form - so I need to check if its there.

Ahimsa,
Vlad
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10974 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
A finger ring and string .....bob Millers relentless ring and string routine by far is the very best IMO it is on hisdvd and old vhs tape......
this was release way before gregory willsons Vhs
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Great news, Bob Miller's Relentless Ring is now available in DVD.

See here: http://www.bobmillermagic.biz/Relentless.html and only $30.00
Tim Friday
View Profile
Elite user
485 Posts

Profile of Tim Friday
In my opinion the most powerful phase is when the ring is pulled off the string, vanishes from the left hand, then magically reappears hanging from the string in the right hand.

I would think this should be the finale phase, however in the two routines I am most familiar with, it is in the beginning or the middle...
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2011-11-11 18:50, Tim Friday wrote:
In my opinion the most powerful phase is when the ring is pulled off the string, vanishes from the left hand, then magically reappears hanging from the string in the right hand.

I would think this should be the finale phase, however in the two routines I am most familiar with, it is in the beginning or the middle...

You have all our permission to re-arrange your routine in whatever order you desire. Nothing is set in stone. Let us know how the new arrangements works for you.