The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Ring off Ribbon Basic and Pure (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3519 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
I saw a truly magical ring off ribbon/rope this week.
Maybe it was magic, that's what you'd think too.

--Spectator’s ring went on the ribbon.

--No fuss, no false moves, no this nor that (I know all those)

--Then, pull, and the ring is off and handed back.

--No routine, no phases, just one perfect moment.

I was so stunned I didn’t even ask about it.
If you’re doing this, let me know what you’re doing... please.

Magically, Walt
music
View Profile
Special user
631 Posts

Profile of music
Walt,was the ribbon or shoelace striped?
Axelchen
View Profile
Elite user
Germany
413 Posts

Profile of Axelchen
...or do you know Warren Stephens? His method looks also very clean, ribbon hangs on/in the ring, then a pull, and the ribbon penetrates the ring.

Axel
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
There is a gimmicked Chinese coin that works like that. You put it on the string, then pull it off.

I think it cost about $50.
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3519 Posts

I work with the gimmicked shoelace, thanks, but no it wasn't that.

What I need is to use a borrowed ring, so the coin is out, I like the effect though.

The Warren Stephens sounds great and close in effect, is it published or sold?
Any more details on that?

Thanks for all the ideas!
Walt
Martino
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, UK
929 Posts

Profile of Martino
The first phase of Jay Scott Berry's routine sounds like that. You can show the ring "hanging" on the ribbon and then take it off. I think there is a Ray Grismer move where it looks like the ring is genuinely on the ribbon before you remove it. I use it in my own routine all the time.
"There's a difference between not knowing how something is done and knowing it can't be done!" - Simon Aronson
Axelchen
View Profile
Elite user
Germany
413 Posts

Profile of Axelchen
I don´t know where it is to find, I have his lecture-notes from 1981, but translated in german language. Besides this lecture-notes, sorry to say that and it only due to my ignorance, I never heard of him, but there are some really clever ideas in these lecturenotes. Actually it´s ring and ribbon routine, no fingerring, but the little preparation that is needed could be done while peforming, I think. I never did it but it should work.
Questions? feel free to pm me.

Axel
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3519 Posts

Thank You!

It looks like an early phase of Jay Scott Berry’s routine is the exact solution I was looking for.

Funny, it’s been sitting in by video collection for about six or seven years now, and it not occur to me to that he’d done that and it was right there.

My mom used to say “it’s right there, if it had been a snake it would have bitten you!”

Glad I asked,
Walt
Martino
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, UK
929 Posts

Profile of Martino
Happy to help! Another satisfied customer!
"There's a difference between not knowing how something is done and knowing it can't be done!" - Simon Aronson
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
I'm just a few years late to the show.. but is this his "Symphony on the Ring and Ribbon"?
If so, it seems to use moves that can be found in Wilson's Ring Leader; but the routine is Berry's

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking