The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Any insight into Spider-Pen? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
djswas
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of djswas
Hi All,

Has anyone used this trick? What I am hoping to find out is if it is very easy or difficult, and if it is MUCH, MUCH better and more discrete than the "UFO." I bought UFO and was not happy as lighting/environment had to be right, or it would be an epic fail.

Thanks!
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3712 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
The lighting has to be right on any IT effect. The Spider Pen is a tool, a way to keep your It all wound up and ready to go. You can pull it out and it retains a constant tension as you use it. It's difficult to do the hover card and many other effects - you almost have to anchor one end and use it that way. So, in answer to your question, the gimmick is almost invisible, but you're limited in what you can do.

Jim
djurmann
View Profile
Inner circle
thinks time to practice and stop writing
1481 Posts

Profile of djurmann
Hi Jim,

So I have a spool, but how it it connected to whatever is being levitated. The way I was taught was with a small piece of magicians wax but since that class...many many moons ago I have not used IT.

Danny
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3712 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
Wax is the way to go. There are many different hook-ups, depending on the effect you want to accomplish. There is a thread below in the secret sessions regarding IT work, this is where you need to go - go through and read every entry.

Jim
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
Spider Pen is by far in my opinion the most effective tool on the market for thread management. It also comes supplied with an extra loaded reel in the cap for a backup. It is very durable, but be sure to switch of the battery when not in use.
Enjoy,
R2
Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I gave up on it, every time I used it I broke it.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
MagicD48
View Profile
New user
93 Posts

Profile of MagicD48
I had this, but didn't really like using it. It was fun for a while but the novelty wears off. It was actually one of the effects that got me interested in magic as I had no idea what IT was at the time. Almost brings back the wonder when I think about the spider pen. Long distance levitations are no longer of interest to me. I'd rather subtle now, with the likes of loops. Or in your face extreme, using the tarantula for spinning ring. Each to their own.