The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Paper Butterfly Effect (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
awesome124
View Profile
New user
Denver/LA
39 Posts

Profile of awesome124
tbaer
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania
2006 Posts

Profile of tbaer
http://www.magicgeek.com/dancing-butterflies-505.html

I don't know if this is the same thing or not. At 0.30 you can see the red butterfly just hanging in mid air by his shirt.
randirain
View Profile
Inner circle
Fort Worth, TX
1653 Posts

Profile of randirain
Yeah... I have only got it to work about as good as the guy in the video does... not very good.

Randi
awesome124
View Profile
New user
Denver/LA
39 Posts

Profile of awesome124
Yah I see that but the girl in the video does that w/out the fan but more gracefully, hmmmm brain teaser here
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5453 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
No great brain puzzler here. It is called a puppet. The girl is not controlling the butterflies the off screen person is.

A one person version normally uses a fan. The routine with necessary props was sold by Supreme back in the 70’s as the “Chinese Flying Butterflies.” It can be found in print elsewhere (I’m away from home and don’t have access to my library).

“Merlin’s Classic Workers” (a 2 DVD set put out by Bill Abbott) shows the work on the one person version of this trick. It is about the only place I know of that shows how to perform it clearly.

At one time this was the trick that was the prelude to the “Snow Storm in China”. The two tricks together and well preformed make a beautiful, silent routine.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
awesome124
View Profile
New user
Denver/LA
39 Posts

Profile of awesome124
Great, thanks for your insight Harry.
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
I believe Jeff McBride sells a one-man version of this, and I am pretty sure I have seen it recently on a number of dealer sites, usually listed as "Butterfly Snowstorm."
donrossmagic
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of donrossmagic
Jeff McBrides version is called butterfly blizzard and is available at Yourmagic.com its about 45 dollars, but all the materials are high quality and Jeff teaches you how to do it on the dvd.

Don
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan's Beautiful Sunrise Side
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
Quote:
On 2011-05-21 20:56, donrossmagic wrote:
Jeff McBrides version is called butterfly blizzard and is available at Yourmagic.com its about 45 dollars, but all the materials are high quality and Jeff teaches you how to do it on the dvd.

Don

Anything Jeff does is usually top-notch. I spoke with him briefly a few months ago as to which throw coils are the best to use. He was very cordial.

I do the regular snowstorm, but not the butterly version...seemed like the butterflies would be more difficult to p**m.
Mike Maturen
World of Wonder Entertainment
The Magic and Mayhem of Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

AUTHOR OF "A NEW DAWN--Weekly Wisdom From Everyday Life"

member: International Magician's Society
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1334 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
I have played with 2 cheap version of this. I have seen pepole perform this badly. I have also seen great performaces of this. They all seem to based around the Jeff McBrides version. The props are good and the little tips in the DVD is great.

In short buy the Jeff McBrides version. its whatv I plan to do.
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!