The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Kennard`s Mystery Box (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
ropeadope
View Profile
Elite user
Mississippi
453 Posts

Profile of ropeadope
Taking precautions before I invariably lose the ring. Would like to have backups anyway.

Does anyone have a source for the special ring supplied with the box?

Thanks,
John
Nothing is better than more.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Buy another Mystery Box they are cheap enough. These are cheap imports and thus do not have source for parts.
Get on here for $10.00 bucks.
http://www.elmwoodmagic.com/full/close-u......8268.htm
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2736 Posts

Profile of RS1963
No sense in going to the trouble of buying another prop that is unless you want to have a back up which isn't a bad idea. As for the ring go to a store such as Jo'Ann's and you more than likely will find what you are looking for. Plus will be quite a bit cheaper than buying to entire effect again.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5453 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Look for the small Café' curtain rings at a fabric store. Take a magnet with you to insure that they are ferrous metal. You can find them in packs very inexpensively. You’ll have more than you need.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9500 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Wondering, ropeadop, why would loose the rings? I can see loosing a gimmicked coin... just asking.
But yes, it's always good to have spares. I carry two shows in my car, just in case.

My second observation is that people are constantly desiring new magic which doesn't look like magic and the link above shows a red box.
Attached is a pic of a wood box. But where on earth can you find either model other than in a magic show? Who would have a box that a little magic wand goes through but a magician? it's not a pencil sharpener, It's not a jewellery box... it's a magic prop.

Me. I don't care if the box has polka dots as long as the performance is entertaining to the audience. So why do some people want to perform tricks that don't look like magic when.... that's all they could be. A ring penetrated a wand inside a red box or a walnut box. They both do the same trick, it should be the performance that counts.

- - - - -

As the saying goes. There are two men sitting at the bar on a Friday afternoon. Both are drunk out of their minds. One is homeless and the other is wearing a thousand dollar suit. What;s the difference? Nothing really, they are both drunk. The owner does not care what they wear as long as they are spending money. To the owner a drunk is a drunk.

(Sitting back with my coffee and waiting for enlightened opinions) Smile

Click here to view/download attached file.
ropeadope
View Profile
Elite user
Mississippi
453 Posts

Profile of ropeadope
Have found a source at Wallyworld (imagine that). Found several ferrous small rings of various colors in a small packet that will work.
There are a couple of rings in the packet that can be passed off as brass.

Thanks for the magnet brought into the store tip Harry.

I guess the only difference of two unknown guys in a bar who are both drunk would be their appearance by manner of dress Jay. Is it deeper than that? BTW enjoying my coffee also here at the Café.

Have fun,
John
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5453 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Glad you found what you need. Hope you arn't swiming there on the mighty Mississippi!
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1084 Posts

Profile of BCS
John... thanks for doing the detective work and finding a source for the ring. I have had one of these since 1972, I have never lost the ring (but have worried about doing so)... I have lost more than a wand or two.

Mine is the EZ Magic brand that is red with green felt... it was always presented as a ghost box and that ghost are attracted to brass rings... with this story no one ever questioned the red box... no one knows if a ghost box is red or not.

As Harry has hinted... stay dry and safe,
Bruce
ropeadope
View Profile
Elite user
Mississippi
453 Posts

Profile of ropeadope
Ready in southern Ms. wih my scuba gear! It was left over from Hurrican Katrina. LOL! Thanks for your concerns.

Have always wondered how the box worked. Very clever! Bought one on E-Bay recently & later bought one here at the Café for a friend. His was one of the older red boxes from EZ Magic also, mine was a knockoff of his & made in India.

As Jay says, it could be nothing else but a magic prop, so it begs for a patter story of some kind, rather than I can do it you can`t attitude. Just HAS to have some kind of presentation for entertainment. I like the Ghost Box presentation Bruce, my friend who has the other one decided his would be another prop from his Invisible Flea Circus & I decided that mine would be a Leppercaun Shower stall with a "Gold" ring.

I will mainley be using mine just as a display here at my house. Of course people will always ask what it is when they see it which naturally breaks the ice for a demonstraion. It just doesen`t seem to be a presentation piece anyway since it is not eactly portable. However to be a little more portable you could make it more compact by cuting a swizzle stick to carry inside the box along with the ring of course. Since the plastic swizzle is so flimsey & short you can bring it out the door by pulling it out the door with forefinger on one end and thumb on the other with the ring trapped between fingers on ss or stick. Looks jus tas good as the puling it out from one end.

Been having fun with it.

John