The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Switching Device Ideas Welcome (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
disneywld
View Profile
Special user
Denver, CO
615 Posts

Profile of disneywld
I'm trying to come up with a better method than I've been using to switch a small stone for another of similar size. The stone is about 1/2 inch in diameter. Right now I am using a cloth bag (If you know what I mean), but have found this to be not right for the trick, so I have resorted to good old sleight of hand. For my story to work, I'd rather use a mechanical switch such as a box, tube, etc. Any thoughts?
The Magic of Christopher Manos
www.christophermanos.com
Sammy J.
View Profile
Inner circle
Castle Rock, Colorado
1786 Posts

Profile of Sammy J.
Hi Chris!

Maybe a Himber portfolio from the "Ambitious Card" would work!

http://www.theambitiouscard.com/aitem.cfm?itemid=86
Sammy J. Teague
djurmann
View Profile
Inner circle
thinks time to practice and stop writing
1481 Posts

Profile of djurmann
Stage or close-up? Also is the stone flat or round?

If stage with a flat stone you could use a false envelope maybe.

D
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3713 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
Use a Devil's hank. Have the "second" stone inside the hank and prefolded. Drop the first stone in the hankerchief, and if it's close-up have someone hold it. Or even hold one hand on the hank and one on the stone through the hank. The switch is already done.

Jim
ldl1017
View Profile
Elite user
475 Posts

Profile of ldl1017
Doesn't Ammar do a Gypsy Switdh with a peanut? This could easily be adapted to a small stone.
Lou
“I am, as I've said, merely competent. But in an age of incompetence, that makes me extraordinary.”
Billy Joel
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6146 Posts

Profile of motown
I remember seeing flip do somthing with a rock on one of his DVD. I believe it also used flash paper.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6146 Posts

Profile of motown
Also, go to Youtube or Google and type in:

Precious Gems Lecture notes, by Diamond Jim Tyler, and check out the video that comes up.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
funsway
View Profile
Eternal Order
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
10005 Posts

Profile of funsway
Y have a number of switches for small objects developed over the years and detailed in "Ball, Cup and Me" and "Sleight and the Family Stone." PM me with more specifics about what yiu are attempting to achieve and I'll send you something.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
disneywld
View Profile
Special user
Denver, CO
615 Posts

Profile of disneywld
The 1/2 inch gem/stone is a bit oval. I like Diamond Jim's routine, but I want it to be examinable - sort of. The gypsy switch could work with some heavy paper. Hmmm. I thought something along a box or even a pill container or tube. I tried the hank, but needed to ditch the stone. It did not fall into my theme.

I will be using a stone/gem approximately 1/2 inch in diameter. It is to be passed out for examination (I mean a real examination) then handed back to me. At this point I want to drop it into a switch bag/box/tray/can, etc. This is to be placed on the table then all hands will encircle the box for a few moments. The box is opened, and the rock/gem has changed.

Keep your thoughts coming, this is very helpful.
www.christophermanos.com
brody
View Profile
Inner circle
Omaha
1313 Posts

Profile of brody
Bruce Elliot book. THE BEST IN MAGIC. Coin switch by John A.M. Howie, called REWARDS, I think. Uses ungimmick hanky, yet no (or little) sleight. Beautiful thing.

PM me if you want more info.
disneywld
View Profile
Special user
Denver, CO
615 Posts

Profile of disneywld
I'll grab my Elliot book - it's on the shelf.
www.christophermanos.com
raywitko
View Profile
Special user
western Pa
527 Posts

Profile of raywitko
Maybe you can use a pea can trick to switch.
Ray
Sometimes it seems there are more than one of me.

Tabman USA
magicdmv
email me at [email]fursclass@magicdmv.com[/email]
disneywld
View Profile
Special user
Denver, CO
615 Posts

Profile of disneywld
Ray - that's exactly what I did do! Works perfect. I had another effect which was similar to this one and got a PM on how to deal with the larger gem.

Thanks everyone for all the thoughts, time and ideas.
www.christophermanos.com