The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Linking key and key ring (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
MagicJuggler
View Profile
Inner circle
Anchorage, AK
1161 Posts

Profile of MagicJuggler
I've been fidling with a linking key on key ring routine that I've developed from scratch, and I'm mostly happy with what I've come up with so far. I was wondering if anyone can point me to any other sources of routines that have used this idea, as I'm trying to solve a couple problems at key (no pun intended) points in the routine, and would love to see what's currently in print.
So far I've got a very clean link and unlink where the key and ring can be inspected immediately before and immediately after (using a gaff). I've also got an idea for an ungaffed link and unlink, which ends with the key instantly linked on the ring which can then be handed out in linked condition.

I would appreciate any help,

Thank you.
Matthew Olsen

I heard from a friend that anecdotal evidence is actually quite reliable.
funsway
View Profile
Eternal Order
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
10003 Posts

Profile of funsway
In many of the available written works on Rings you will discover subtle clues and hints not apparent on any DVD explanation.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Are you talking classic Linking Rings or a finger ring and a house key?
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
MagicJuggler
View Profile
Inner circle
Anchorage, AK
1161 Posts

Profile of MagicJuggler
House key and key ring (the kind that keys go on). The idea so far has been to start with the key on the key ring, have a spectator remove the key (both are normal ungaffed objects) which allows inspection and drives home how difficult it is to get keys on and off those things. Then I do a penetration where the key just melts onto the ring. The two are displayed clearly linked, and then with a shake the key falls off the ring, and the key and ring can be immediately handed out for inspection again. The first link and unlink are so far the strongest that I've come up with, but I'm looking at ending it with a link and unlink that I figured out that is done without the gaff, and ends with the key legitamately linked onto the ring that they can inspect, or even take home if they wanted to.

I'm just looking for some good materials that are along the lines of what I'm working on, so I can have something to help me work out the bugs and streamline the handling. I have a couple moments in the transition from one moment to the other that aren't where I want to be yet. I'm also trying my best to figure out how to make this as practical as possible with a very quick or instant reset so it will be ideal for walk around, which is what I do most. (Current reset is at about thirty seconds, but I think with an improved structure this could be reduced to next to nothing.)

So any titles of any books, or routines that have been published that include moves or ideas or handlings that sound similar or useful would be greatly appreciated.
Matthew Olsen

John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Have you looked at some of Sankey's stuff? 3 ring circus and leaving home, for example.
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
MagicJuggler
View Profile
Inner circle
Anchorage, AK
1161 Posts

Profile of MagicJuggler
I've got 3 ring circus, and that has been a big help. I have not seen leaving home though... I'll have to check it out. Thanks.
Matthew Olsen

Christopher Rinaldi
View Profile
Veteran user
347 Posts

Profile of Christopher Rinaldi
Quote:
On 2010-11-02 06:33, MagicJuggler wrote:
I've been fidling with a linking key on key ring routine that I've developed from scratch, and I'm mostly happy with what I've come up with so far. I was wondering if anyone can point me to any other sources of routines that have used this idea, as I'm trying to solve a couple problems at key (no pun intended) points in the routine, and would love to see what's currently in print.
So far I've got a very clean link and unlink where the key and ring can be inspected immediately before and immediately after (using a gaff). I've also got an idea for an ungaffed link and unlink, which ends with the key instantly linked on the ring which can then be handed out in linked condition.

I would appreciate any help,

Thank you.

Jay Sankey came out with something very similar to what you've described waaaay back in the mid 80's, I perform it occasionaly but have lost the booklet long ago so I do not know the name of the trick. You should contact Sankey.
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Magic for Dummies has as related effect called Ninja Key Catch, and linking pretzels

Sankey's Anytime Anywhere has a linking key on keyring that I think is similar to leaving home

100% Sankey: Spookey: Keys unlink and re-link to a key ring.
Sankey Unleashed: LEAVING HOME: key on/off shoelace
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
baobow
View Profile
Special user
516 Posts

Profile of baobow
Greg Wilson has a great routine on his On the Spot dvds called Florida Keys.

Kevin Parker has a routine called Nexus which is neat:-

http://kevinparkerproductions.com/nexus.html

It is on sale for only 3 dollars atm.
MagicJuggler
View Profile
Inner circle
Anchorage, AK
1161 Posts

Profile of MagicJuggler
Thank you for all of your responses, I think I may have enough to complete the routine now. I've figured out another strong link and unlink on my own, but I'll definately check out these sources. I've no illusions of originality with the concepts I've been working with, but if I can get the routine where I want it I'll have to get some video of the performance so I can get some feedback on the performance and handling.

Again, thanks for the help.
Matthew Olsen

Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
I seem quite late to this post, but Bob Solari put out an effect some years ago called Link-Key. Most, if not all of what you describe, can be accomplished with this set, and more by experimenting. It really is a great effect.

As referenced above, Leaving Home is a wonderful routine by Jay Sankey and if you have not checked it out yet, you should.

I hope this information is useful to you.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
R. Paul Wilson has a killer "Lost Keys" being made by Joe Porper.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com