The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Chinese Magic Sticks (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
skyfire
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of skyfire
I am interested in the Chinese Sticks, but I am on a budget these days. Could anyone reccomend a good quality set without spending a couple of hundred dollars on them, and where to order them. I was thinking more in the neighborhood of anywhere's under the one hundred dollar mark. Thanks...
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
The only Chinese Sticks that meet your price requirements is the Loftus/Empire Chinese Sticks. They sell for around $35.00.

You can purchase them from http://www.stoners.com

Click here to view attached image.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
They look pretty good. Get the Chinese Sticks video/dvd from http://www.stevensmagic.com and see some good routine ideas.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Albie
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of Albie
I would like to get a set of makame sticks. Does anyone know anyone who would like to sell theirs?
if so you can email me at albiesezlnick@earthlink.net
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
2150 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
I'm also going to suggest looking for a copy of Martin Lewis' video Making Magic. I have it on VHS. He details how he makes the chinese sticks from paper so he can do a very convincing finish where he tears them up and tosses the pieces out to the audience. Simple enough presentation, but a wonderful way to convince people there's no gimmick.

-Patrick
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
Quote:
On 2011-07-07 14:55, Albie wrote:
I would like to get a set of makame sticks. Does anyone know anyone who would like to sell theirs?
if so you can email me at albiesezlnick@earthlink.net

Check out the Magic For Sale or Trade section on this forum. You might find some on there, but they may become hard to find outside magic shops that still have some sets left. I love my Mikame sticks! Good hunting!
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan's Beautiful Sunrise Side
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
I have a set for sale right now on E-Bay. They are made by Funtime Magic, and are a red wood-style finish. They are 14" long with gold cords. Very nice set of sticks.
Mike Maturen
World of Wonder Entertainment
The Magic and Mayhem of Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

AUTHOR OF "A NEW DAWN--Weekly Wisdom From Everyday Life"

member: International Magician's Society
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5451 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Albie once you have 50 posts you will allowed into the for sale section of the Café'. Until then enjoy the Café' and contribute.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
Quote:
On 2011-07-07 19:27, Harry Murphy wrote:
Albie once you have 50 posts you will allowed into the for sale section of the Café'. Until then enjoy the Café' and contribute.

Yes, sorry I forgot to mention that. Thanks for that add-on Harry.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5451 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Albie of all the Chinese Sticks available I believe that the Mikame version is not the best or most desirable. My biggest complaint is that they rattle loudly when used. In small venues it is quite noticeable. Cheap toy (magic set) versions are much more preferable.
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
Quote:
On 2011-07-08 11:54, Harry Murphy wrote:
Albie of all the Chinese Sticks available I believe that the Mikame version is not the best or most desirable. My biggest complaint is that they rattle loudly when used. In small venues it is quite noticeable. Cheap toy (magic set) versions are much more preferable.

I concur, but the quality is very, very good. BUT, as I always say, quality does not necessarily mean practicality, and if something is not practical for use, then the quality has no bearing.
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
I have noticed that many of the wooden sticks are noisy. The cheap plastic ones seem to be more quiet, but are usually too small (especially for stage), and don't look nearly as nice.
Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5451 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
If you look at the sticks that wmhegbli mentioned above you will find they are actually lined with a plastic tube. In fact most well made wooden sticks are so lined (except for the crummy Mikame versions) and are silent in use. I have five sets of wooden sticks all by different makers some dating to the late 60s and all are lined and silent.

The cheap plastic ones I have and often use are 12 inches long and can be seen in most moderate size venues (especially with the tassels I've put on them). The smaller versions work well in small venues like parlors or pubs.
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
I probably had seen the Mikame ones then. Thanks.
Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com