The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Continuous banana production (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
mattmagic149
View Profile
Loyal user
Austria
215 Posts

Profile of mattmagic149
Hey guys out there!

I want to perform at my close up show a continuous banana production. It should always look the same because it should end up like a running gag.
It would be great to produce the bananas out of a snack box or a paper bag. I want to produce about 6 bananas.
I thought of a a mirror box or something like that.
I also thought of body-loads or of picking up some bananas from underneath my close up table.
In my opinion the method should be as often different as possible so that it is difficult to detect, but the result has to be the same.

I am looking forward seeing your ideas.

Many thanks,
Matthew
Practicing is like a bank, if you don't put anything in, you won't get anything out!
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10968 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Check out Dan Garrett, he uses bananas, pickles, from a paper bag.
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
mattmagic149
View Profile
Loyal user
Austria
215 Posts

Profile of mattmagic149
Where can I have a look on that?
Practicing is like a bank, if you don't put anything in, you won't get anything out!
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
10968 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
DAN GARRETT has video or dvd called kid conivery it is on there. I am positive this is what you are looking for, or go o Dans web site/

vinny
Come check out my magic.

mattmagic149
View Profile
Loyal user
Austria
215 Posts

Profile of mattmagic149
Do you mean his KidShow Konnivery?!?
Nice tip, but I don't won the video. And I think it is a little bit expensive to buy a video altought I don't really know if that material is what I am really looking for. Or is that only my point of view?
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
10968 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Tell you what if you are willing to pay for the postage I will send you the video for free....how qbout seven bucks for packing and postal
if this is fair send money to my pay pal vinnymarini.com
vinny
Come check out my magic.

mattmagic149
View Profile
Loyal user
Austria
215 Posts

Profile of mattmagic149
I am curious about your solution vinny!!
Has anyone another guess?
I am happy about every solution you'll give me..
DanGarrett
View Profile
Regular user
Atlanta, GA
169 Posts

Profile of DanGarrett
This is exactly the reason I don't release my new stuff on DVD any more. Not worth it to me if it's just going to be passed around or posted on YouTube, etc., for free. I prefer to just keep it to myself, and save it for those who attend my lecture. For the rest of you, sorry you have to suffer for the sake of a few...

Maybe you would like to check out my DVD's. There's a ton more stuff on them than just the banana trick. I also make the bananas for sale, and you don't need to buy the DVD for that.

However, to get my free e-catalog you must email me with a request for one.
DanGarrett@aol.com

Thanks!
Dan Garrett
www.dangarrettmagic.com
SAM National President 1994-1995
MIMC with Gold Star - London
email request to dangarrett@aol.com to receive a free catalog
mattmagic149
View Profile
Loyal user
Austria
215 Posts

Profile of mattmagic149
Sorry if I didn't point that out: sponge bananas are useless to me. To me sponge props have a little "childish touch" and that's not what I want to achieve.
I need to produce real ones. But vinny: many thanks for your effort.

Matthew
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
10968 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Hi Dan I was not selling your material I just wanted to help,, I also mentioned to Mattmagic that it was on your site.. and for him to visit your site.
I am sorry if I offened you, I know magic is your livrly hood just thought the old vhs tape that I have is no longer available.... or out of print...
once again I apologize
vinny
ps The vhs taped is not available to him I retract my offer
Come check out my magic.

Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4770 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
Withour using apparatus you can do a a perpetual appearing banana (or other fruit) using the Sylvester Pitch.
:pepper:

Larry
Tim Dowd
View Profile
Special user
...Making the Magic Happen!
942 Posts

Profile of Tim Dowd
Hey Vinny, anyone who publishes an effect on any media should expect it to be "passed around." I was a software engineer for years and all my code was "shared" within my peer group... the only way to stop this is to not publish your work but give it away to people who deserve it (you choose who that is) Dan is right... keep it to yourself.

I really appreciate you Vinny... you really like to collaborate and help magicians anyway you can... never apologize for being you...

I hope we can meet one day...

Your fan..., Tim.

To try to stop any "Bad Blood" if I use an effect in my show from someone else... I purchase the rights to perform...

Ask Bill Abbot, Lou Serrano, Joshua Jay, Daryl, Ben Harris, Denny Loomis, Marko, Anthony Lindan, Scott F. Guinn, Jay Sankey (OK I stole his stuff), David Stone, Timothy Dowd (steal his stuff regularly)...
Timothy Dowd
...Making the Magic Happen!
http://www.timothydowd.com
These are my points of view; I accept no responsibility for your interpretation of what I just said...
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
10968 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Tim, thank you for saying thst. I only was trying to help. I hope some day o meet you as well
vinny
Come check out my magic.

Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Does anyone remember Paul Daniels doing the banana trick for young chimpanzees. That was the best rendition I've ever seen for this trick. Hilarious and a teaching on ad libs by a true master.
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Now you are talking... Paul Daniels' and the live monkeys is ones of the FUNNIEST things you will EVER SEE... magic or otherwise.

Paul is one of the greats in magic and the way the MAGIC CASTLE treated him was a disgrace.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
As far as producing bananas close-up. What is ment by close-up, as you mentioned a mirror box. Mirror boxes are generally not used Close-up.

Mentioned also was a Close-up table, is this a small snack tray table or a large table, square or round or half circle?

Will you be sitting or standing, behind the table or to the side or in front?

Will you be strolling with the table have it stay in one place.

Do you object to silk cover for the production or does it have to be bare handed?

What is your criteria as we offered sponge items and you rejected them immediately.

There was a famous magician who produced glasses of whiskey from his coat, after the second one it became a mystery. This could also be used in this type of production.

As this is an open forum, we cannot go into details, but you do have over 50 posts so maybe you could ask a more detailed question as to your requirements in the banquet section which is more private.
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
You could use

- "Hat Box" type productions could produce a few bananas
- Square Circle could produce about 6
- the method in Eggs from Nowhere, could produce as many as you want; see Wilson's Complete Course
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
mattmagic149
View Profile
Loyal user
Austria
215 Posts

Profile of mattmagic149
@ wmhegbli:
I mentioned a mirror box, but what I meant was a modified mirror box build into a snack box. But I found out that it wouldn't be a good solution to me. Because I need to produce the bananas separately and not all at once.
I rejected the idea with the sponge bananas because I want to create a running gag where every spectator gets a banana for anything he or she helped me and so the banana is kind of a gift.
I will do it at my evening show so I just have to do it once an evening and we have a large self-build blackjack table.
I haven't decided yet if I will sit or stand, but better would be standing, but if necessary I will sit down.
I am definitely behind the table so loads from underneath the table are possible.
In my eyes the production shouldn't be bare handed because I thought of locations/items in which the banana could appear. And to me it would make sense if the banana appears in an brown bag (kind of a lunch bag) or a snack-box. But I am really open to any ideas. I won't stick to all of my ideas/conditions.
I also thought of producing the banana from a sketch block. But I think when I produce about 5 or 6 bananas there will be so much dead time, where nothing happens.
And I forgot to mention that between the productions, I am doing some other stuff, but every time I come to the point, where the spectator helps me he gets a banana as a "gift".

To your idea of moving into the banquet section: I am not sure if I know how to do that but if you can tell me, we can move over immediately.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Mattmagic149,
I see you dismissed Dan Garrett's item without even knowing what it is. Dan Garrett's item is an old single production of a banana at the fingertips. One banana appears after another. They can be put in a sack or hat any container. Then you can hand them out later as your assistants leave the performing area. Dan's Banana's are hand made by him and look really good. Get a box trick like the Dagger Rabbit appearance. So you can show the box empty, then do Dan Garrett's Banana trick, then show the box full of Bananas, and hand them out like you want as mentioned below.

I must say, I cannot see a magical way to produce several banana that would be entertaining and surprising.

If all you want to do is give a give on a running gag, then just do that. There is a tag line older than me, "Have a Banana" it is from the old vaudeville days and I believe was used in an old movie with the Max Brothers.

After you are finished with the assistant, then just pull out a banana and give it the kind for helping. Use the old line "Have a Banana", it should get laughs.
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2735 Posts

Profile of RS1963
Quote:
On 2010-07-29 15:08, DanGarrett wrote:
This is exactly the reason I don't release my new stuff on DVD any more. Not worth it to me if it's just going to be passed around or posted on YouTube, etc., for free. I prefer to just keep it to myself, and save it for those who attend my lecture. For the rest of you, sorry you have to suffer for the sake of a few...

Maybe you would like to check out my DVD's. There's a ton more stuff on them than just the banana trick. I also make the bananas for sale, and you don't need to buy the DVD for that.

However, to get my free e-catalog you must email me with a request for one.
DanGarrett@aol.com

Thanks!

Very valid post. That is why quite a few magicians are releasing less of their own material. I don't understand why someone would want to make copies of DVD's lecture notes etc then pass them on to others. People that do that are morons.

If anyone gets offended from my saying that. Oh well! I have to add if the shoe fits (Being a moron) wear it.