The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: What is best resource for Gypsy Thread routine? (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Corbett
View Profile
Inner circle
Indiana
1163 Posts

Profile of Corbett
Looking for good referrals.
Scott Fridinger
View Profile
Special user
Gloucester Pt, VA
893 Posts

Profile of Scott Fridinger
There is a World's Greates Magic on the Gypsy Thread routine, may be a good place to start.

Contents are:

The Hindu Thread Trick – Daryl
Gypsy Thread – Geoffrey Buckingham
Gypsy Thread – Bob Read
Torn and Restored Flash Thread – Henry Evans
The Gypsy Thread (Street Style) – Cellini
Shakespearean Thread – Eugene Burger (performance only)

Also, Gary Outlett has a VHS on the effect which comes with Glow-thread, it is still listed at L&L's site.
www.JustGreatMagic.com
Sleight of Hand, Sleight of Mind
Floyd Collins
View Profile
Inner circle
Ohio
1633 Posts

Profile of Floyd Collins
Sam Sandler is soon to release a DVD on this, his method was thought to me personally and I have to say it is by far the best method for doing the thread that I have found. Works every time like a charm.

Maybe give him a PM and see when the DVD will be out.

Cheers
Floyd
No one said it would be easy, or did they?

Check out my all new book "Chicken Scratches" visit my lulu store for more information.

http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/thecenterstage

http://www.collinscomedymagic.com
rick727
View Profile
Regular user
Houston, TX, USA
188 Posts

Profile of rick727
Richard Hatch's version is superb. You can get it The Friends of Roger Klause DVD set:
http://www.lancepierce.com/
Practice what you present.

Present what you practice.
puggo
View Profile
Inner circle
2022 Posts

Profile of puggo
Quote:
On 2009-12-30 14:29, dinger136 wrote:
There is a World's Greates Magic on the Gypsy Thread routine, may be a good place to start.

I'll second this as you get to see quite different styles..
Charlie
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
It seems to me, once you know and understand the methodology, it would be best to work out your own handling and presentation. I haven't done it for some time, but if I were to revive it in my repertoire I would consider using dental floss.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3667 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
I have found that if you pre-apply Sortkwik to the part of the thread that you are going to break, it makes it much easier to roll the pieces up and eliminates finger licking (eeww!). I just drag it across the open surface of the canister... but you can also apply some to your finger and pull the thread between your finger and thumb. If you make up a bunch in advance, they'll last at least a month (if you keep them in a inclosed place).

That's my Happy New Year's gift to you all!

-Mary Mowder
dcjames
View Profile
Special user
577 Posts

Profile of dcjames
I agree with Pete. Dental floss makes for a very clean presentation and the wax is a charm for reattaching the pellet...
“Magic is very easy to do - poorly.”

Tommy Wonder
The Books of Wonder
Volume 2
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2735 Posts

Profile of RS1963
The Teach in Series by Lewis Ganson also had a booklet on this effect. With versions and ideas from Ali Bongo, Pat Conway. Al Baker, Marconik,
Hansel
View Profile
Inner circle
Puerto Rico
2492 Posts

Profile of Hansel
Gypsy Thread – Geoffrey Buckingham
Follow Me...
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Hansels-Comedy-and-Magic-Show-929625643774678/
Youtube: HanselSP
Twitter: @HanselSP
Instagram: HanselSP
Mac_Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
Miami, FL
1435 Posts

Profile of Mac_Stone
Quote:
On 2010-01-01 16:03, RS1963 wrote:
The Teach in Series by Lewis Ganson also had a booklet on this effect. With versions and ideas from Ali Bongo, Pat Conway. Al Baker, Marconik,

Available as a download at Lybrary.com
JordanB
View Profile
Special user
dallas, tx
626 Posts

Profile of JordanB
If you want to use floss, then you will want to check out Lonnie Chevrie's routine. It is on the first volume of his DVD. He was the one who pioneered using dental floss for gypsy thread.
KC Cameron
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, North Carolina
1944 Posts

Profile of KC Cameron
What about the geek version using paper straw wrappers, as in the "Geek Magic" video?
(Putting up your nose adds that extra element of class!)
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6145 Posts

Profile of motown
Arthur Tivoli has a nice presentation of Gypsy Thread on his DVD.

The most important thing is to learn how to wrap the thread properly and then work out a performance that fits your personalty and style.

There's a lot of excellent presentations that many have already mentioned.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2735 Posts

Profile of RS1963
Quote:
On 2010-01-04 17:24, CaptainKid wrote:
What about the geek version using paper straw wrappers, as in the "Geek Magic" video?
(Putting up your nose adds that extra element of class!)

That isn't a version of gypsy thread. Not even close.
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1334 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
Quote:
On 2009-12-31 13:58, Pete Biro wrote:
It seems to me, once you know and understand the methodology, it would be best to work out your own handling and presentation. I haven't done it for some time, but if I were to revive it in my repertoire I would consider using dental floss.

Good point always learn as much as you can then develop your own.

I looked at a lot of versions. The one that really helped me was Geoffrey Durham version it simple to set up has a nice tip on breaking thread also it use Chadwicks mending cotton which come on small card packets so great to put 10 in an inside pocket. There is a problem for guys in the US to get this cotton so do a search and see how it’s going.

The one thing I found hard is coming up with a good script or patter but almost have it sorted.
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
djkuttdecks
View Profile
Special user
Portland
662 Posts

Profile of djkuttdecks
I think I recall seeing a basic video lesson on Theory11.com for like 5 bucks. But it will teach you the basic routine if you just need a quick place to start.
-Lee
Skotster
View Profile
Regular user
Belle Vernon, Pennsylvania
109 Posts

Profile of Skotster
I learned from Lonnie Chevrie DVD set. I can't remember if it was Wanted or Captured DVD. His version is the dental floss version.

that is the first one I learned. I deduced from that method the way to do it with standard thread. I wish I performed it more because I love the trick, I've just been stuck without a good patter that suits my personality
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6145 Posts

Profile of motown
GYPSY THREAD

DVD / VIDEO:

Arthur Tivoli In Tivoliland - “Coco Channel”

Bev Bergeron On Tape - “Broken Yarn”

Daryl’s Fooler Doolers Vol. 2 - “The Hindu Thread Trick” (Al Baker), *also on L&L WGM DVD

Dragon Thread (Mike Wong)

Friend’s Of Roger Klause Vol. 1 (Richard Hatch) - “The Mystery of the Jadoo Wallah”

Greater Magic Video Library Vol. 30 (Billy McComb) - “Gypsy Thread”, *performance only

Magical Voyages Vol. 3 (Eugene Burger) - “Shakespearean Thread”, *performance only, also on L&L WGM DVD

Magic Academy Disc 5, Vol. 22: Enchanting Cabaret Magic 2 (Billy McComb) - “Gypsy Thread”

Magic That Can Be Performed Anywhere (Cellini) - “Gypsy Thread - Street Style”, *also on L&L WGM DVD

Piet Forton’s International Magic Lecture - “Gypsy Thread”

Something More than Illusion Vol. 3 (Henry Evans) - “Torn and Restored Flash Thread”, *also on L&L WGM DVD

The Gypsy Thread (Gary Ouellet)

Wanted! The Outlaw Magic of Lonnie Chevrie Vol.1 - “String’em Up” using dental floss

World’s Greatest Magic - Gypsy Thread: The Hindu Thread Trick (Daryl /Al Baker), Gypsy Thread
(Geoffrey Buckingham); Gypsy Thread (Bob Read); Torn and Restored Flash Thread (Henry Evans)
*Gypsy Thread - Street Style (Cellini); Shakespearean Thread, *performance only (Eugene Burger)

PUBLICATIONS:

Billy’s Gypsy

Lewis Ganson’s Teach-in Series: Hindu Thread

Lewis Ganson’s The Art of Close-Up Magic, Vol. 1 - “Easier Gypsy Thread” (Norman Rhodes), pg

Magic Menu, Vol. 1, Issue 5 - “Waxed” (Charles Green), pg

Professional Secrets: A Life in Magic (Geoffrey Durham) - “Gypsy Thread”, pg

Spirit Theater (Eugene Burger) - “The Thread of life and Death”, pg 156-163

Tarbell Vol. 7 - “Impromptu Broken and Restored Thread” (Milton Tropp), pg

The Eternal String (Max Londono)

The Experience of Magic (Eugene Burger) - “Cosmic Thread”, pg 107

The Fine Art of Magic (George Kaplan) - “The Gypsy Thread Trick”, pg 305

The Linking Ring Vol. 83, #5, May 2003 (John T. Sheets) - “The Ancient Gypsy Flosses Both of Her Teeth”, pg
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Magic1
View Profile
Elite user
Los Angeles
408 Posts

Profile of Magic1
Whoa. Great post and thank you for the bibliography Motown! Awesome