The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: crazy mans handcuffs (my way of doing it) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
pyromagician
View Profile
Veteran user
Tennessee
312 Posts

Profile of pyromagician
Hey guys, I don't know if anyone has done this, if they have please correct me, I do a version of this effect where instead of using just your thumb and first finger with just 2 rubber bands I use my thumb, first finger and my middle finger and use 4 rubber bands instead of just 2, in other words, loop a rubber band from your thumb to your first finger, then another one from your thumb to your middle finger interlocking them in the same method as before it is more difficult and needs more misdirection but it is possible with work, does this make any sense? I don't know how well I described it
Gary

hey, look, a jumping hamburger - Smile
P.S. this is what part of the alphabet would look like if "Q" and "R" were eleminated
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3176 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
I grabbed a couple of bands and tried it, and it took me a long time to hook it up (but I am clumsy so that explains part of it..)

But at first go, I didn't quite get it. As the bands on my right hand (the one doing the move) ended up with both bands in the first fingers.

I will play around some more, it is curious but initially I would have to say that even if you can do it (and I am sure that you can) it wouldn't really have more impact than CHMC - In fact it seems to me that it is adding confusion to an effect that is powerful thru it's clarity and simplicity.

But as I said, that is my first impression and when I can actually pull it off, I may change my mind. But I love your thinking that says "how can we take it to the next level?"

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
pyromagician
View Profile
Veteran user
Tennessee
312 Posts

Profile of pyromagician
I have done this, I just posted it just in case one of you guys uses it, and does something great with it.
I perfer the 2 band method, but I occasionally use 4 to see the reactions

Here is a tip, do the secret move with just your ring finger not your ring and pinky fingers that's how I pull it off the best
it is a very difficult move to master, but, I think you guys can do it with work.
P.S. this is what part of the alphabet would look like if "Q" and "R" were eleminated
Steven the Amusing
View Profile
Regular user
San Francisco Bay Area
117 Posts

Profile of Steven the Amusing
By "the secret move" are you refering to the on-link or the unlinking move? I don't use my pinky in either one. I learned CMH by watching a fellow conjuror, not from a reference.
trevorsmagic
View Profile
Regular user
The U.K.
186 Posts

Profile of trevorsmagic
Hi guys, I am struggling with the C.M.H.C.
I have bought the Michael Ammar written instructions ..maybe I'm just thick but I cannot follow them, anyone know of a video demo showing the moves ....please
regards trevor Smile
Bernard Sim
View Profile
Inner circle
Singapore
1095 Posts

Profile of Bernard Sim
trevorsmagic, you can get Dan Harlan's video/DVD on Rubberband magic from most dealers. Besides CMH, there's other cool routines with rubberbands.
Bernard Sim
Mr. Ed
View Profile
Veteran user
California
337 Posts

Profile of Mr. Ed
Trevor you would most likely be interested in Dan Harlans Rubber band video # 1. If you are having trouble learning this from the written word then this will help you.

As for a demo on the internet check out
http://www.MagicSmith.com
there is a demo for Carl Andrews video that includes his presentation of this effect. Smile
He who laughs, lasts.
Nae Blis
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of Nae Blis
I can't get enough of the C.M.H's. After wowing people with the trick I add a third band. I place two bands around the thumb and forefinger of one hand and penetrate them with the third band. This adds more confusion to the onlookers and set's up for the real stunner.

I will again place two bands on the thumb and forefinger of one hand. Then I add a fourth band to the routine. Band three is placed behind the two stationary bands of the other hand while the fourth band is fed between the two stationary bands.

So the setup is complete when I have 2 bands setup on each hand and they are interlaced. I make sure there is enough space between the bands for people to clearly see there was no sleight of hand and that the bands indeed sort of linked. Then lot's of selling followed by the trick move and some more selling. Band three visably penetrates bands 1 and 2, and band four penetrates band 1. Sorry, this is hard to explain, but it simply blows people away.

After doing the Trick move, the 4 elastics become kinda tangled, looking sometimes if you keep them loose enough. But since the trick is already done you can slowly add tension to the elastics and the viewers can watch the elastics literally melt through each other. Nice effect.

I know some people like to keep C.M.H simple with just 2 bands (or one) Smile but, through experimenting I have received some strong reactions with this from adults and kids.
Then I follow up with some other band effects to keep 'em guessing.

Smile
It takes a big man to cry...... but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.
DoctorAmazo
View Profile
Special user
Florida
643 Posts

Profile of DoctorAmazo
Be careful, Nae...you'll put your eye out!
pyromagician
View Profile
Veteran user
Tennessee
312 Posts

Profile of pyromagician
steve---- the onlink
Telemus
View Profile
Regular user
Everett WA
128 Posts

Profile of Telemus
Interesting effect with the extra bands, I get more bookings after doing CMH, I mean it is really incredible. People really love the effect.
Geoff Williams
View Profile
Special user
St. Pete Beach, FL
617 Posts

Profile of Geoff Williams
Here's a nifty tip for CMH: make the setup look more difficult than it really is. In other words, if you're using two bands, take extra time to make the setup look pain-staking and tedious (more so than just lowering the 2nd band down the backside of the other and slipping your thumb in). Make the setup look like work!

This will make the penetration later appear effortless and even more incredible.

Try this and see if the reaction is even greater than usual.
"Saját légpárnás tele van angolnák."

(Hungarian for "My hovercraft is full of eels")
pyromagician
View Profile
Veteran user
Tennessee
312 Posts

Profile of pyromagician
good tip geoff
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3176 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
I agree with everyone here who says that CMH is a killer. But don't think that is all you do with the bands!

And I certainly understand what Trevor said about trying to learn from a manuscript. I tried for two weeks with hard copy instructions, and then did it in 10 minutes after watching the video.

Dan Harlan also has an effect with a single band on his Video (the Band Shark Vid I think) that he attributes to a gentleman in NJ, the band is stretched between both hands and then twisted a bit and the upper side of the band penetrates the lower one so they appear to have reversed positions. That is a pretty visible effect, but then you have the spec hold on to the lower band and you again penetrate and he is now holding the upper band. This bit of audience participation really gets a reaction!

And there are a ton of other very effective band tricks on his videos. I only have two of Dan Harlans band videos, but I have more workable band material than I will have time to put into my performances.

So, I am just saying that CMH is great, but, there are some other killer effects with bands too - and they aren't that hard.

Brodavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
Nae Blis
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of Nae Blis
Dan's Bandshark is due to arrive on my doorstep tommorow as a matter of fact, I can't wait.

I agree BroDavid, there are a ton of killer effects out there with rubber bands. After the CMH, I disappear one of the bands, this gets a solid reaction. Then I will break and restore the remaining band a couple of different ways.

One silly one that I have recieved surprizingly good reactions with is "rubber necking" from elastrix 2.

The effects is: A rubber band is shown to the audience, then it's stretched out and placed above the magician's head and pulled down over the head and face until it is visable around the neck. The the magician then pulls the elastic right through their neck and shows it. Sounds silly, but it's been a great stunner for me.

-Wade
It takes a big man to cry...... but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.
BillParky
View Profile
Regular user
Atherton,Manchester,U.K.
123 Posts

Profile of BillParky
Hi all
This is my first posting and I couldn't resist making a contribution to this thread for what is probably the simplest and most mind blowing effect of all close up magic. I learned CMH from Michael Ammar's excellent and very detailed description although it's very difficult to show in pictures what is actually happening. The inevitable reaction is always 'do that again!' and the beauty of it is - you can - again and again...
I have all three of Dan Harlan's Videos and unless I'm going crazy, Im pretty sure than CMH is not shown on any of them. In fact it's just about the only rubber band effect that isn't.
Bill Parkinson
trevorsmagic
View Profile
Regular user
The U.K.
186 Posts

Profile of trevorsmagic
Hey Bill, you the man. I'm still not quite getting it, even though I've the detailed booklet I need to just see it done so looks like I need to buy the video
.......trevor Smile Smile Smile
Mr. Ed
View Profile
Veteran user
California
337 Posts

Profile of Mr. Ed
Bill

Dan Harlans "Magic with Rubberbands Vol 1" has Rubber cuffs on it, it is the opening routine of the first vol.

And welcome to the Cafe. Smile
He who laughs, lasts.
Geoff Williams
View Profile
Special user
St. Pete Beach, FL
617 Posts

Profile of Geoff Williams
Hey, Bill Parkinson... YOU FOUND MY CARD!

Wow, way to go!

:)
"Saját légpárnás tele van angolnák."

(Hungarian for "My hovercraft is full of eels")
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
2000 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
There are many different ways you can go with CMH. I would have never thought of trying to do it with more than two bands. I think I agree with the earlier posters, more than two bands seems to convolute the effect. Maybe I see it that way because instead of increasing the number or rubber bands, I decrease them. After doing CMH twice in my hands, I do the third unlink with the spectator holding the rubber band. The off beat of that moment allows me to set up for CMH with a twist.

This usually throws the spectators for a loop. Smile Then, I tell them, that the bad part of having only one rubber band left is that there really isn't anything you can do with one rubber band, so I make the last one disappear up my nose. I thought at first that I would only do that for kids but I find that adults actually like that bit too. Go figure
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin