The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Practical Finger Ring Effects - (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
LoyaLover
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of LoyaLover
Hello everyone.

I've always felt that finger rings effect are the best impromptu magic that people should attempt. More often than not people expect a magician to do something with their rings.

Personally I'm fascinated by this prop. Its even more practical than a coin and it makes levitation effects much easier with that hole in the middle.

As with many young magicians, I'm usually restricted to the popular few tricks we see all over Youtube.

Was hoping that someone can shed some light on Practical finger ring effects. Preferably with sleight of hand.

I always like to routine my stuff with 3 phrases. This is what I do.

1) The Ring Thing
2) False transfer plus secret slide on
3) Floating ring (Yigal)

What other practical ring effects are out there? It'd be very very helpful if you can include a video of how its like. Many at times I end up hearing about an effect, but never getting my hands on one.

Thanks so much.

P.S: The Ring Thing and De'vo Ring are the few I've came across. Am hoping to try out the Ring Leader soon enough.
Mediocre the Great
View Profile
Inner circle
Rich Hurley
1062 Posts

Profile of Mediocre the Great
I love finger ring magic. If the spectator has stong emotional attachement to their ring, the impact is tremendous! The audience can not possibly care as much for cards, coins, sponges or ropes. If their ring is in play - you've got their heart srings!

Gregory Wilson's "Ring Leader" DVD is an excellent resource. Richard Sander's "interlaced" is a reputation maker. "Ring flight" is a classic and Bruce Cervon's handling for this effect is excellent.

I regularly perform Doug Malloy's "Ring to Wallet", "Interlaced" and my own improputu effect called "Ring Finale".
Mediocrity is greatly under rated!
--------------------------------------------

Rich Hurley aka Mediocre The Great!
www.RichHurleyMagic.com
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
"Rubber Ringer" – Bill Kalush. w/ elastic band.
"Stirring Silver" - Jay Sankey. w/ spoon.

Finger ring to key holder/ring/chain. There are a few methods and gimmicks.

"The World's Greatest Magic" series has a good finger ring DVD in the series.
elgranmago
View Profile
Veteran user
371 Posts

Profile of elgranmago
Have a look at "Ring, Rope, Wand" (Charlie Miller, Daryl) on Daryl's Fooler Doolers, Volume 2.

José
"It´s kind of fun to do the impossible". Walt Disney
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9998 Posts

Profile of funsway
Most of your basic coin sleights can be done with a finger ring. Practice those and you can add personal touches to the package tricks you are considering. There are dozens of good ring-on-string effects available -- some maybe at your own library.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
boxjumper
View Profile
Veteran user
362 Posts

Profile of boxjumper
Wedding Ring Redux is my favorite. In addition to the ring, you'll need a shoelace, string or cord and some sleights. It's in Barnowsky's Kingdom book and he performs it and teaches it on the DVD too.

BJ
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10964 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
One of the very best routines with a ring and string is Bob Millers "Relentless Ring and string" dvd.
also Steve Dusceck's "Ringer" no pulls ring and key chain..
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I am trying to find a way to make one of the props that go along with my Borrowed Ring routine. Basically, you borrow a ring, seemingly destroy it, then it re-appears in a FLASH... visibly... on the end of a telescoping pointer. Stay tooned for this one.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Donnie Buckley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Cleveland, Ohio
1123 Posts

Profile of Donnie Buckley
"Magic With Finger Rings" by Jerry Mentzer (1984) is a great book on this subject. Chapter 2 on Ropes, Rods and a Ring is fantastic.
LoyaLover
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of LoyaLover
Thank you all for your kind replies.

I am aware that coin sleights probably work the same way for rings. And actually I happen to be looking for more routines that requires probably things that I carry around. A key chain sounds pretty nice. A string too, yes that's what I'm anticipating.

Can I assuming that the only 2 popular finger ring manipulations are De'vo and "The ring thing"? Anything similar around? The name "Gold finger" kept coming up one time in my search for a ring trick. Anyone can describe the basic effect?
takeachance
View Profile
Inner circle
3787 Posts

Profile of takeachance
Gold finger is in Simply Harkey and the illusion is to pull your finger off so your ring falls off. A strange penetration effect. Another source of ring tricks is Stephen Ablett's Ring Tricks DVD. Very similar to Ring Things DVD but has some nice alternatives and different handlings and routines. If you like ring magic ( and I certainly do) its worth getting. Hope this helps
Red Shadow
View Profile
Inner circle
1788 Posts

Profile of Red Shadow
Stephen Ablett's 'Ring Tricks'
http://magicmystery.co.uk/dvds.html#Ring_Tricks_

26 Tricks with a normal ring.
nonvpro
View Profile
Inner circle
1844 Posts

Profile of nonvpro
Danny Rouzer had a routine similar to what Pete has mentioned. He made a ring vanish and reappear at the end of a telescoping pointer that had the end replaced with a hook. He placed a flash paper on the hook, lit it and in a flash the ring appeared on the hook. I remember seeing him perform this many times and it never failed to amaze the spectators.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Rouzer probably learned it from my lecture.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6144 Posts

Profile of motown
Gary Kurtz has a great one in his book and on his Dvd called Attraction. It involves the wedding bands of a couple.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
The Big Q
View Profile
New user
Sydney, Australia
49 Posts

Profile of The Big Q
I know it is more of a rubber band effect, but PINNACLE kills - the ring 'melting' off the band at the end floors them!
Michael Bilkis
View Profile
Special user
728 Posts

Profile of Michael Bilkis
Quote:
On 2009-10-03 21:14, The Big Q wrote:
I know it is more of a rubber band effect, but PINNACLE kills - the ring 'melting' off the band at the end floors them!

I second pinnacle.
MarkR
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of MarkR
Ring On Pencil/Pen from Mike Skinner ,John Carney etc Ring on Wand or stick
Various versions of Ring Flight.

Coin Through Ring in Bob and on the David Roth DVDs.

Dan Fleshman Ring and String Routine, Dan Garrett Ring and String Routine

Ring Flights - I have made up many ungimmicked Ring Flights a la Fred Kaps and others.

Depending on your performance restrictions you limited only by your imagination.

From penetrations to transpositiions, PK, Vanishes, and metamorphosis much can be done.

As always stay away from delicately set rings and the like. It'll just get into trouble.

Markr
BobMillerMAGIC!
View Profile
Regular user
MN
106 Posts

Profile of BobMillerMAGIC!
For anyone who is curious about The Relentless Ring & String Routine, and doesn't want to buy the video, I have a $5 ebook that illustrates the whole routine. And, as requested, it's all sleight of hand. no gimmicks.

Also, I'm looking for new, unpublished R&S moves to be included in my NEW Relentless DVD.
Do you have a move you'd like to get credit for? You also get an active web link from the DVD to your website, and you get a free copy of the new DVD.

If interested, PM me, or send me an email at Bob@BobMillerMagic.biz
PreDate: The NoMem Calendar Trick
http://www.BobMillerMagic.biz
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10964 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Guys do your self a big favor and buy the Video . You will see Bob perform his magic ,and IMO it is the best routine to date
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com