The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: What is the name of this trick? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
gilbreath76
View Profile
Loyal user
279 Posts

Profile of gilbreath76
Andy Lau, star of Infernal Affairs, which is what The Departed was based on, is a big time magic enthusiast. I saw him do this ring trick on a Chinese variety show. I'm strictly a card guy, so I have no clue when it comes to rings or anything else. I can imagine what the gimmick is, but would like to know if there was a name. Thanks in advance!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Thi1mIYEacU

Long time ago, I don't recall the name, but I played around with something called the ellis ring? But you'll notice in this video, the lady is holding the chain, not the performer.
Krazyjay
View Profile
Loyal user
One hand typed all
264 Posts

Profile of Krazyjay
I don't know the original name, but this looks like it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/MAGIC-TRICK-Hangman-......294%3A50
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5454 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
That is an old ring and rope move. I don't really think that it has a name per se. It is almost self working (more a knack than a move) a little flip and you're done. I first learned it when I was about 12 from an old library book on magic for kids.

It is interesting to see it performed and sold as a stand alone trick rather than a segment in a longer ring and rope/string routine. It's not much of a fooler. A casual glance at the end product shows the method (as you can clearly see in the final display in the clip).
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
gilbreath76
View Profile
Loyal user
279 Posts

Profile of gilbreath76
Thanks Krazyjay! Ahh!!! I don't understand Chinese and I didn't really focus on the fuzzy youtube picture. I didn't realize it's only a knot. I thought the ring really penetrated, which got me thinking this is one heck of a mechanical marvel! Looking at the Chinese video again, yes, it is a knot and based on the eBay price, I'm guessing there is no mechanical gimmick involved. Still very puzzling, I will buy one for the heck of it.

Thanks again!
gilbreath76
View Profile
Loyal user
279 Posts

Profile of gilbreath76
Quote:
On 2009-07-22 09:25, Harry Murphy wrote:
That is an old ring and rope move. I don't really think that it has a name per se. It is almost self working (more a knack than a move) a little flip and you're done. I first learned it when I was about 12 from an old library book on magic for kids.

It is interesting to see it performed and sold as a stand alone trick rather than a segment in a longer ring and rope/string routine. It's not much of a fooler. A casual glance at the end product shows the method (as you can clearly see in the final display in the clip).

By any chance, do you know of any close-up books are dvds that may have this item? I'll try and look for a book of close-up magic. Might as well try and get more bank for the buck. It does seem like if I go grab a chain and ring right now and mess around with it, I can probably accidentally figure it out. Hehe..
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5454 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
I think a version is on one of Aldo Colombini's videos. I'd have to dig to find a printed reference. I've Pm-ed you
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
fbnc
View Profile
Loyal user
Memphis
227 Posts

Profile of fbnc
Search youtube for ring and chain, I think there are tutorials on this as well.
As stated above its an old move, more of a knack. The weight of the ring has a lot to do with the sucess of the link. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhcKmU85HgU
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
I found the method described in Magic Step-by-Step, by Tom Russell, but I could not get it to work with a loop of string (as suggested in this book). Most seem to thing that the metal "ball & chain" seen in the videos, works best.

Someone at a country fair was selling this. As I remember his method was to hold the ring between the thumb and a finger, but letting the ring rest on top of that finger, like resting on a ledge. He would then just move his thumb away and let the ring fall.

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
Ron Vergilio
View Profile
Special user
Murrieta, CA
835 Posts

Profile of Ron Vergilio
It's sold by many magic shops.

Here's a link... http://www.trickshopmagic.com/chained.html

"Chained Ickle Pickle"

-Ron
May the magic in your life never disappear

*** Lou Serrano's Steel Ball Routine ***
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
That's George Blake's "Toss On" move. It's been explained many times and is used in a number of R&R routines, including Eric DeCamps' and my own routine which is available as a PDF on my website.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page