The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Gypsy Thread HELP!!! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
GeorgeSantos
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego, CA
1106 Posts

Profile of GeorgeSantos
I learned the Gypsy Thread effect from one of Wayne Houchin's videos. I practiced a lot until I was ready to perform it. Everything went well during practice sessions. When I performed it, the thread TANGLED when I was pulling it apart to show the restoration!

Can someone help me on how to prevent it? I did the prep as taught in the method. I never failed during practice. Why do you think does this happen?

Any suggestions?
"David Roth is the greatest coin manipulator in the entire world.."

-Dai Vernon "The Professor"

I AM A FILIPINO MAGICIAN
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5695 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
If you rush the set up, it will tangle. Also what type of thread are you using? That matters quite a bit as well.

The BEST thread to use is the Glo Thread that was made just for Gypsy Thread. It is bright yellow and shows up great. It's also UV sensitive, so it will show up great on stage.

I have not had it tangle on me in well over 10 years...
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
GeorgeSantos
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego, CA
1106 Posts

Profile of GeorgeSantos
I use the 100% Mercerized Cotton for this effect. I also use the figure of 8 prep.

I'd like to perform this before I do the effect "Thread," and that's why I use the 100% Mercerized Cotton.

Thanks for the suggestions, Chris. Smile I appreciate it.

I AM A FILIPINO MAGICIAN
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
The European guys, Fred Kaps, etc., all used BASTING THREAD. Breaks so easy. Marconic, in his book, showed a simple way to prep the thread. I haven't done it in years, but never had any trouble.

A thought... Did you get "sweaty" when you debuted it? Maybe you were a tad nervous?
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6146 Posts

Profile of motown
Perhaps you didn't wind up the thread properly. On the WGM Thread DVD, there are a few methods shown which may help.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
GeorgeSantos
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego, CA
1106 Posts

Profile of GeorgeSantos
I did not get sweaty... I guess I just had a problem with the prep. Practice has been smooth, though.

I AM A FILIPINO MAGICIAN
Michael J. Douglas
View Profile
Inner circle
WV, USA
1645 Posts

Profile of Michael J. Douglas
I've used different threads, dental floss being my favorite. Billy McComb suggested using basting thread, but I haven't been able to find any except online; most folks in sewing shops around here haven't even heard of it. I forget the brand he used, but I don't think it's made anymore anyway. I use his set-up, which uses the figure 8. (A nice thing about dental floss is if you're short on time, you can just ball it up and the wax holds the bundle together.) He also had a great tip of not just pulling the thread to restore, but bouncing the thread up and down while pulling helps knots from forming.
Michael J.
�Believe then, if you please, that I can do strange things.� --from Shakespeare�s �As You Like It�
TC Ryder
View Profile
Elite user
Florida
494 Posts

Profile of TC Ryder
Check out Dragon Thread by Mike Wong. Nice routine and you can get the thread from any fabric shop. It comes with a good instructional DVD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0lZZaYtiZo

TC
www.realcoinmagic.com

"Real Coins for Real Magicians"