The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: P.K. ring super charge. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Bryantacious
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of Bryantacious
I have a P.K. ring (magnetic) and its quite useful. But I was wondering if there was a way of restoring/super charging these things. Possibly by wrapping it with a copper coil with an electric current? If anyone has tried this, thinks it might work, or knows a better approach let me know. I would hate to break it.
MikeyM71
View Profile
Regular user
Chesapeake, OH
153 Posts

Profile of MikeyM71
I'm almost positive you can't do anything to change the properties of the ring, or any other magnet for that matter. I could be wrong.
<BR>Mikey M.
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3713 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
Mikey, so are so right.

A permanent magnet and an electromagnet are two completely different animals. Do you need to restore the magnetic field? A PK ring is a permanent magnet, and is designed to stay magnetized. If it has lost its power I'd be really surprised, but maybe somebody else that's had this experience can chime in.

If you just want to supercharge it, or make it stronger, this can't be done. You have to buy a stronger magnetic ring (i.e. N50).

Jim
remote guy
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
534 Posts

Profile of remote guy
Some magnets lose their power if they exposed to heat. Once that is done I don't think there is a way to restore it.
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10974 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Always store magnets and rings ect, on metal this will keep them at fully charged.
and they will not loose their magnetism
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Bryantacious
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of Bryantacious
I am not trying to restore it just trying to make it more powerful (sorry for the confusion). But apparently this cannot be done, I suppose I will have to invest in a new one if I want that power.

I was unaware of that Vinsmagic, thank you for the advice.
Stuart Coyle
View Profile
New user
Australia
62 Posts

Profile of Stuart Coyle
You'd need a fairly powerful electromagnet to match the power of the modern permanent magnets, thus lots of turns of copper with enough diameter to pass a rather large current. Magnetic fields add up, but they have to be aligned to each other properly. Align them the wrong way and you are just cancelling out field. That said, of course the magnets are going to try to align themselves. So it might be feasible(starts scribbling some arcane notes...)

Several things will cause 'permanent' magnets to lose their field: heat, shock and exposure to varying magnetic fields like AC power etc. I doubt anything in the home would have enough power to affect a rare earth magnet significantly.

I had the fortune of playing with some really powerful electromagnets in the lab at university. More than once did someone forget to remove their personal possessions before entering...credit cards, watches, mobile phones ZAP! Now that's magic!
cataquet
View Profile
Veteran user
England
363 Posts

Profile of cataquet
Sorry to correct you, vinsmagic, but a neodymium iron boron magnet (which is what all PK rings are) will NOT loose its magnetic force if it doesn't have a keeper. That used to be the case with older magnets, but these new ones don't need it.

There are two ways to increase the magnetic force of a magnet: (1) add more magnets, and (b) direct the magnetic force. In the case of a PK ring, #1 is ruled out. However, if your ring is more than about 3 years old, I suggest you get a new one as more powerful magnets are available. As for #2, by directing the magnetic force, you can effectively making a magnet lift almost 1.5x as much (many parameters go into the effective increase). However, again, this is not practical in a PK ring.
Harold Cataquet
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
RE: directing the field, Supermagnetman offers rings with the field directed across the diameter of the ring, as well as the usual "doughnut-shaped" field. There does seem to be some difference.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
mmreed
View Profile
Inner circle
Harrisburg, PA
1432 Posts

Profile of mmreed
Curtis Kam has it right... supermagnetman.net has N50 rings and also diameter field rings.

The N50 ring is VERY STRONG... but... and a STRONG but... it looks HORRIBLE! It doesn't look like a ring. it looks more like you are wearing some odd machine part!
Mark Reed
Wedding and Event Entertainment
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10974 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Cataquet thank you for the up date I havent been in school in over 50 years you are correct thinks have changed.

vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
dsacks
View Profile
Special user
609 Posts

Profile of dsacks
Why try to supercharge the ring -- maybe you can accomplish want you want by disguising a strong m****t in other ways -- for example, in a card case? Let your imagination go wild ;-)