The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Color Changing Knives Advice Required (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
truesoldier
View Profile
Inner circle
1191 Posts

Profile of truesoldier
Hi Guys

I am working on a color changing knife routine but have noticed that there doesn't seem to be much written about the subject. Therefore I would really be grateful if some of you could point me in the right direction as to where I can read up on the subject. I have heard that there is a booklet called Merrils Knife book, but I can't seem to track it down. Any help/pointers would be really appreciated.

Thanks
Leo Reynolds Jr
View Profile
Special user
864 Posts

Profile of Leo Reynolds Jr
Try this Chameleon Knives DVD - Joe Mogar you can get it from Elmwood Magic

http://www.elmwoodmagic.com/full/Magic-T......3975.htm

Hank Lee shows that book on there web site but not sure if they have it.
truesoldier
View Profile
Inner circle
1191 Posts

Profile of truesoldier
Thanks Leo, I've just read the description and it sound great. Thanks so much. If anyone else has any other suggestions then please keep posting them.

Thanks
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5488 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
Mogar's work is terrific. Also, check out Whit Haydn's "The Intricate Web of Distraction."

Best of luck!
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Scotty Yorks' Fred Kaps cc knives and Ascanio's World of Knives and some Tamariz work... there is MUCH on the subject (more than anyone needs IMHO).
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Angelo the Magician
View Profile
Loyal user
Vienna(Austria/Europe)
217 Posts

Profile of Angelo the Magician
Search in youtube "Bill Malone" knives !

Angelo
Hansel
View Profile
Inner circle
Puerto Rico
2492 Posts

Profile of Hansel
Scotty York's routine its GREAT! Try it!!!
Follow Me...
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Hansels-Comedy-and-Magic-Show-929625643774678/
Youtube: HanselSP
Twitter: @HanselSP
Instagram: HanselSP
Wayne Kawamoto
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of Wayne Kawamoto
I know that you asked for written materials, but there's a great DVD with routines from well known pros:

Color Changing Knives (World's Greatest Magic)
http://magic.about.com/od/magicreview/fr/042508colorknif.htm

Be warned that some of the routines requires a specific knife set. Despite this, the DVD offers a variety of routines that will help spark ideas.

-Wayne
www.Magic.About.com - Magic News and Reviews
Author: "Picture Yourself As a Magician"
Bill Citino
View Profile
Special user
Doylestown, PA
837 Posts

Profile of Bill Citino
I've done some research on the subject in the past. I've found all of this thus far (some names have been already mentioned above):

-Merrill's Knife Book
-Mogar's Chameleon Knives DVD
-The Magic of Matt Schulien Book
-Scotty York's routine on the Greater Magic Bar Magic DVD-Scotty's routine is somewhat based on Schulien's routine
-Tamariz' routine. This is on his Greater Magic DVD
-L&L's World's Greatest Magic DVD has routines of Daryl, Bill Malone, Johnny Thompson, Rene Levand and Steve Draun.
-The new Ascanio book Vol. 4
-Whit Haydn's routine.
-If memory serves me I believe there is a routine in the Art of Close-Up Magic as well but I'm not entirely sure about that.

They're all the resources I can think of off the top of my head at the moment.

-Bill
truesoldier
View Profile
Inner circle
1191 Posts

Profile of truesoldier
Thanks for all your suggestions Guys, it's really appreciated.

Bill, what a great list. I have tried getting hold of Merrill's Knife Book but nobody seems to have it in stock at present. I have also heard great things about Whit Haydens Routine and if his other works are anything to go by then I am sure that this will be fantastic. From your list and experience does anything stand out head and shoulders above the others?

Thanks Agiain To All of You.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Once you know the principle it would be fun to play with the props you have and create your own routine.
Bill Citino
View Profile
Special user
Doylestown, PA
837 Posts

Profile of Bill Citino
Quote:
On 2008-12-11 13:31, truesoldier wrote:
Thanks for all your suggestions Guys, it's really appreciated.

Bill, what a great list. I have tried getting hold of Merrill's Knife Book but nobody seems to have it in stock at present. I have also heard great things about Whit Haydens Routine and if his other works are anything to go by then I am sure that this will be fantastic. From your list and experience does anything stand out head and shoulders above the others?

Thanks Agiain To All of You.

My personal favorites are Scotty York's routine and Bill Malone's routine. I've been playing around with the color changing knives a lot and am working on my own routine that doesn't use all the knives but that's neither here nor there. Those two routines are my favorites from what I've looked at.
Donal Chayce
View Profile
Inner circle
1770 Posts

Profile of Donal Chayce
In addition to his "Chameleon Knives" DVD, Joe Mogar sells the book ("Merrill's Knife Book") that you're looking for.

You can also find it here:
http://www.vikingmagic.com/?key=1340&nd=full
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Here is a bit of reading. Since you seem serious about the knives, apart from the litterature below, you can also read Keith Clark, The encyclopedia of cigarette tricks. The size and shape of the knives enables to use many sleight or effects which were devised for cigarettes and are forgotten.

Ascanio, Arturo: Ascanio's World of Knives: Ed : Marshall Johnson. 1975, 95 pages The English translation by Jose De La Torre of “Navajas y Daltonismo”  Excellent resource, but out of print. World of Knives presents complete instruction, from an explanation of the knives, what makes a good color changing knife, moves, and complete routines. The Spanish edition contains more than the English translation. p 13 Volume 1; p 14 A Few Words About Knives: The parts of the knife described (Ascanio uses a knife with a ring at the end). The parts of the hand described. Terms described; p 16 What Knives Should You Use? Symmetric. Flush Blade. Ring. Size no longer than width of hand. How to make/get a gimmicked knife; p17 Equipment Needed: The routines utilize one red normal, one white normal, one white red gimmick, one white green gimmick, one green yellow gimmick, a bunch of miniature knives; p 19 Chapter I The Paddle Move or "Turn": intro; p 19 Classic Paddle Move (Modernized); p 21 Rules (General Rules for All Paddle Moves): naturalness, not exaggerated slowness, small hand rotation, etc. p 23 Variants of the Classic Paddle Move; p 23 Cleaning Paddle Move: knife held between end of 1st finger and tip of thumb; p 24 Passing the Knife from One Hand to Another; p 26 Appearance by the Pinkie: a push through the fist move; p 27 "Turn" With the Ring Finger: during the push through; p 29 Ultra Fast "Turn": a quicker than the eye move; p 33 Chapter II The Color Change: The Color Change: intro; p 34 Classic Color Change: through the fist; p 35 Half Turn When Introducing the Knife (Ascanio): in the fist; p 36 Bringas' Color Change (Mariano Bringas): in the hand; p 37 Color Change in a Spectator's Hand (Lewis Ganson); p 39 One Hand Color Change: through the fist; p 42 Color Change with Normal Knives: color changes using two normal knives; p 45 Chapter III Several Passes; p 45 Manipulating the Knife as a Cigarette; p 46 Push Through Palm with Ideas; p 48 Two Fu Manchu's Passes: Holding the Knife at One End, Holding the Knife at Two Ends; p 52 Stealing With a Pull; p 53 Knife Changes; p 53 Change of a Normal Knife to a Gimmicked One: switching a palmed knife for a tabled knife; p 54 Fast Change (Ascanio): inside the jacket; p 56 How to use the "Fast Change": ideas; p 59 Chapter IV Tips and Ideas; p 59 A Good Method to Tell the Sides of the Knife At the Touch of Your Fingers: using the ring; p 60 How To Distinguish One Knife From Another: using ring positions; p 61 A Knife Classifier (Lewis Ganson): construction of a simple holder; p 62 Two Examples of Patter (Fu Manchu): first is a pseudo-scientific color formation patter, 2nd is about traffic lights; p 65 Chapter V Psychology; p 65 Psychological Aim of the "Turn": making a strong presentation; p 66 Three Psychological Procedures: The Sharp Knife: opening the blade; The Breath on the Knife: rubbing a color change; p 67 A Psychological "Turn" (Fu Manchu): a comedic showing of the knife as plain; p 68 After the Color Change; p 68 Psychological Aspects of the Color Change: lengthy discussion; 73 Chapter VI Routines: Previous Words: advice; p 74 A Fred Kaps' Routine: A white knife changes to red, and it is shown that two knives were used. The knives transpose in the hands, then another change happens under a handkerchief. Uses two regular knives and one gimmicked knife; p 79 A Short and Easy Routine: Jose adapted this from Kaps' routine; p 81 Knives and Color-Blindness (Ascanio): A white knife to be vanished turns green. 2nd knife is shown. White knife turns red, green knife turns yellow. Red knife turns white, and red knife is found in sleeve. Ends in a shower of tiny knives climax. Uses green-yellow, green-white, red-white, normal red knives, and a number of tiny knives; p 91 Alternates: three variations presented

Bennett, Doug: Extra Sensory Deceptions

Bernard, Bobby: Videonics Program #04 Bobby Bernard Vol. 2. Includes a color changing knife lesson along with some coin magic and a lesson on sleeving. $25.00 Denny & Lee's carries the Videonics line

Bergeron, Bev: Ken Brooke's Magic, The Unique Years 1980. Includes Ken Brooke's Penknife Routine, p. 50

Bertrand, Jean-Luc. No smoking. marketed item. A very efficient routine. The knives have been replaced by Bic lighters. The moves, thanks to Ascanio, Tamariz etc... are well done and the routine is well structured, offering a very climax as well.

Bobo, Jean-Baptiste. Watch This One. This is just a move for the color changing knives, not a full routine.

Brahams, Anthony: Karl Norman: Forty Years at the Forks (see also Karl Norman's Here's How, below). Color Changing Knives..

Carney, John: Greater Magic Video Library Vol # 8: Colour Changing Knives with a few original moves never seen despite their prefection. Stevens Magic

Casaballe, Docteur Carlos : L’Anti-Rotation Cardini Club Revue. (French This is a very smart and very underground move. It takes the concept of double rotation but applies it by rotating the hand around the wrist as the knife is secretly turned.
Cavailles, Marc : Marcus Routine Arcane n° 19 and 21 : Marc Cavailles assembled a clever routine using two gimmicked knives. The colour changes and then a sucker explanation is offered. The knives travel from one hand to the other, then Marc performs Fred Kaps’ effect with the silk and finishes with a climax using de la Torre’s micro knives. Not a revolution but a sound structure with a wise choice of classic spectacular effects.

Clark, Keith. Encyclopedia of cigarette tricks. For the sleights enabling a clean hand to hand transfer.

Corbier : Journal de la Prestidigitation N° 308, 1976 P. 218-219: Corbier’s penknives routine by Rémi VERLET. Four knives are used two white ones, a black one and a black and white one.

Dalal, Sam: Three Color Changing Pen Knife (White - Black - Red) Electrofun, India
de Cova, Alexander: Close-Up Session Volumes 1, 2, 3 and 4. (In German). Includes tricks with color changing knives. Read review at: http://www.fmf.nl/~magic/cova.html

De La Torre, Jose M.: Color Changing Knives...And More. 1976 Marshall Johnson
4 panel Instruction Sheet for Jose's Studio Color Changing Knives (with knives) 1 Effect: White knife turns to red, then back to white. A second knife is shown, and the knives change places in the hands. P 1 Preparation; p 1 Routine: described in detail; p 3 Sleights to Be Used; p 3 The Paddle Move: Classic Paddle Move; p 3 Appearance by the Pinkie; p 4 The Color Change: Classic Color Change; p 4 Care of Your Pocket Knives; p 4 Advertisement for Ascanio's World of Knives and Smash Climax knives

Draun, Steve: The Draun Knives. Channel One magazine. Another excellent routine, found in the pages of Channel One magazine, Issue 3. Provides some very subtle moves that work well, and a full routine using three knives (two gimmicked, one regular). Steve uses Mogar knives. Recommended.

Duraty. Magie Pour Les Amis, 1975. p.105 to 112: Le canif de Bagdad . Excellent three knives routine using sleights by Juan Tamariz, Bob Ostin, Alex Elmsley and Arturo de Ascanio. The knife changes color several times to end up, after a sucker explanation, being multicolor.

Eason Doc: After all these years DVD.

Elliott, Bruce: Classic Secrets of Magic. 1953, llustrated by Stanley Jaks, Harper & Row - Galahad Books. p 32: Chapter 4. The Very Peripatetic Paddle: The paddle move with knives, matchsticks, business cards and dice.

Elmsley, Alex: Collected Works of Alex Elmsley V1 by Stephen Minch

Enardoe: Color changing knife. by E.O. Drane Co (anagram of Enardoe). Effect: A pocket knife is shown on both sides. The knife is placed in the fist, and when shoved out, the handle has changed color. This is repeated and the color changes to the starting color. The magician explains that a second knife is used, and produces a 2nd knife from his pocket. The "invisible switch" is demonstrated by holding the two knives in opposite hands far apart. With a flick of the wrist, both knives trade places. Requirements: props explained: the knives have a “puzzle” feature and can only be opened by someone in the know. The knives were a bit wide and flat. This is good to prevent “show”, but make them a bit more difficult to perform the secret move than some other knives on the market. Although the Enardoe knives are no longer made, a similar set is currently on the market by Phillis Morris; Note: about colors; Section 1: Showing Both Sides of the Knife; Section 2: Causing the Knife to Change Color; Section 3: Changing Back to Original Color; Section 4: Causing Two Knives to Change Color; Patter and Performance; Explanation of how to open/close the knives

Frank, Gary: Classic Color Changing Knives and Paddle Routines. 1993. 21 page leaflet, no photos. Gary Frank worked with Dr. R.D. Merrill and is mentioned in Merril's book. Gary's booklet can be purchased alone or with set of knives. 6 Basic Paddle or Knife Moves: explained; p 7 Push Through Color Change: Knife placed in closed fist, when pushed out changes color. ; p 9 Turn Around Color Change: Visible color change while knife is rotated in fingers; p 11 The Switch: A simple "through the fist" exchange; p 13 Silks and the Knife: Two colored knife (one color each side) is shown and rubbed with a silk the color of one side. The knife turns to that color. A silk of the other color is used, and the knife changes to that color. The knife is then restored to the original two colors; p 15 The Visible Color Change Knife Routine: Simple routine for the "Visible Color Change Knife", which shows the color transition in process (part of the knife one color, the other part another); p 17 Advanced Move for the Visible Color Changing Knife: A very visible color change (nice); p 19 Advanced Routines for Two Identical Knives: Two knives held in one hand, palm up, each a different color (say white and black). Instantly they change position, are shown both sides, and instantly change again. One knife is now held in each hand. Knives now change hands instantly

Ganson, Lewis: Routined Manipulation Vol 2 1951, p.12 à 20. Colour Changing Knives. Nine pages of sleights, moves, and full routines for the colour changing knives. & The Art of Close-Up Volume I: Paddle trick chapter includes p 150 Colour-Change Knife Routine (Niberco): A two knife routine using a gimmicked knife and a regular knife of a completely different color. There are thus two color changes, and you are left clean at the end. (easy sleeving approach) ; p 153 Simplex Knife Routine (Rink): A three knife routine using a gimmicked knife and two regular knives. The colors of the gimmicked knife match each of the two regular knives. For example, a B/W knife, Black Knife, and White Knife. At the end, the knife under the handkerchief switches places with the knife in the pocket, and you are left clean & Colour Changing Pocket Knife Trick. 1999 D. Robbins & Co., Inc.; Electrofun, India (Sam Dalal). 11pages manuscript from "Routined Manipulation Part II", with props.

Garin, Jean. La Magie des Canifs [Penknives magic]. Ed Georges Proust. Under the pretense that there was no really complete work on the penknives in French language, Jean Garin gathered a fairly complete summary of the writings on the subject (types of knives, knife holder, basic to advanced manipulations, namely Tamariz’s ones) An original routine however is due to Ludow and a practical way to present the knife through fingers add to the compendium.

Green, Paul: Take a Stroll With Me Lecture Notes: p 19 Includes the Color Changing Knife routine that appeared in Genii Magazine. Translated in French as Les canifs changeant de couleur Arcane n° 85  A white/white and a white/black knife. The routine is a sort of ice breaker in the style “did you by any chance loose this knife?” This idea is attributed to Ron Wilson.

Griffin, Gerry: Video Magic Lessons Vol 1. California Magic & Novelty. Effects include the Color Changing Knives (see Gerry Griffin Teaching Tapes)

Hall, Trevor. Testament of Ralph W Hull. Chameleon Knives

Haydn, Whit: The Intricate Web of Distraction. Excellent, fully explained color changing knife routine. As usual to Whit's style, includes comedy patter. This is a three knive routine using the gimmicked knife and two others, one of each color. Explains moves, including a couple of unique variants, a nice close vanish, and the routine. & The Intricate Web of Distraction. Each and every move is explained in full detail including all the patter used by Whit in his routine. Chef Anton's School for Scoundrels

Jensen, Jon: Monte Too: The Monte theme applied to other props such as bills, lota bowls, trash cans, film canisters, chewing gum, coins, craons, matchboxes, color changing knives and magic coloring book.

Kaps, Fred. Journal de la Prestidigitation n° 302, 1975. P. 10 et 11: Fred Kaps’ knives routine using a handkerchief and described by Ascanio in Navajas y Daltonismo French translation by Rémi Verlet.

Keith, Jon: Impromptu Close-Up Magic Instructional Video Tapes. Color Changing Knives (with special handing that will fool Professionals Magicians) See Jon Keith's website.

Klingsor. Le canif à travers la veste (knife through jacket). The effect is using a normal penknife with an additional half blade fitted with a sharp thin pin actually piercing the jacket. (if using a blade with a small flat part at a straight angle and a magnet it should be possible to create the illusion that the jacket is being cut)

Lancaster, Lou: Commercial Close-up Magic. This great collection of classic close-up magic includes the color changing knives (two knife routine).
Lavand, Rene: Magic from the Soul Slow Motion Magic Volume II: Includes a section on Color Changing Knives; essays, and much more.

Leech, Al. Don’t Look Now. The Smart Slant of Misdirection. Includes a classic and well structured knife routine.

Leech, Al: Manipulating With Leech: Published by Magic Inc. 1952/1981 30 Pages. Includes Bob Lotz' Color Changing Knives and a Flip Over move (among other non-knife effects). The Bob Lotz' routine is a good one, using four knives: gimmick, two regular knives (one each color), and with a tiny knife climax.

Lees, Walt : Best of Close Up. with the finale production of a Doll small fork.

Lichter, Millard: FunTASTIC Knife Routine Book. 12 phase color changing knives routine consisting of changes (many color), transpositions, transformations, triple climax, complete comedic script, and photos. Explains painting, moves, routine, and analysis.

Malone, Bill: On the Loose DVD Vol 4 includes Walk Around Knives Bills color-changing knife routine. Perfect for the strolling magician when no tables are available.

Martinez, Daryl: New Millennium World Tour. 1999 - 24 pages. p 22 Daryl´s Color Changing Knives: using a unique color changing knife complete with fingerprint & Foolers Doolers DVD 3. Misdirection knives. Daryl Color Changing Knives routine is presented to the audience as an alleged lesson in misdirection.

McDaniel, Robert: Technicolor Changing Knives: as appearing in Genii magazine, Volume 63, number 2, Feb 15, 2000. A four knife routine with silks. Also available from Joe Mogar (see Mogar knives, below).

Masashi, Dr.: Magic of Japan, Greater Magic Library V45. Includes Dr. Masashi Neo: Neo's Knives.

Mentzer, Jerry: Knives. Another Close Up cavalcade p 126. Classic routine.
Merrill, R.D.: Merrill's Knife Book: Full book on color changing knives. Over 50 photo illustrations and 64 page text covering new routines, flourishes, and moves for this effect. A bonus chapter by Al Cohen is included as well as a bibliography of knife effects that you can search out in various books and magazines. Everything you would want to know about color changing knives. Contains everything from the basic routines to the most advanced flourishes and moves. The Merrill knives are a classic, and his book is very thorough. I like the Spanish version of World of Knives a little bit better, but Merrill’s book is still in print.

Minch, Stephen: Collected Works of Alex Elmsley V1: Over 110 original Elmsley tricks and sleights including a color changing knife routine for three knives.

Mogar, Joe. Joe Mogar's Chameleon Knives DVD

Morris, Bud : I Am Curious (Magic). A 1970 Magic Limited (Lloyd Jones) 54 page booklet. Includes Color Changing Knives Revisited. Based on comedy and fun presentations. Out of Print

Niberco, Nic: The Gen Vol 15 # 4 August 1959 p 100 reproduced in The Art of Close-Up Volume I by Lewis Ganson.

Norman, Karl: Here's How. 51 pages. 1985 Collector's Workshop. Card on the Ceiling, Change for A Quarter (torn & restored card transposition), Coin in the Bottle, My Coin Collection (CSB & Okito box), Symphathetic Matchboxes (commercial props), Multiplying Rabbits (using 3 adults & 6 babies), Polish Rocket gag, Impromptu torn/restored Cigarette, Bill in Cigarette, Color Changing Knives (uses 4 knives, adapted from Schulien's routine), Ring Flight (commercial prop), Linking Pins with handkerchief, Karl Norman's Three Shell Game Routine (uses brass cups, can use regular shells as well), Carnival Loop Routine (Chain of Chance; with comedy, fake knot, etc.).

Nu, Alain: Close Up Sketches: Switch Blades is a Color Changing Knives
Pinner, Richard: The 8th British Close-Up Magic Symposium Book. A novel colour changing penknife idea.

Rink: The Art of Close-Up Volume I by Lewis Ganson. Rink's Simplex Routine, using one gimmicked, and two regular of each colour.

Roberts, Peter. A colour changing and multiplying penknives.

Skinner, Michael, Classic Teach In DVD. This DVD contains all three of the Classic Teach-In videos in one volume. Includes the Color Changing Knife routine. Original videos were produced in 1998. The color changing knives is an approximately 15 minute presentation of Skinner's commercial color changing knife routine with standard and not-so-standard moves.

Swinford, Paul: Lecture notes 1975. Colour changing knife.

Tahoe, T.C. Thoughts, A Lecture To Think About. Colour Changing Knife. Present the effect as a test. Show the B/W knife black on both sides (paddle move with the knife held in Spellbound position) asking what color it is. They say black and win the first test. Take both hands behind your back placing the knife in the same fist sticking out by half of its length (black side showing). Bring the fists back asking in what hand it is in. They pass the second test. Put the knife on the table black side showing. Do the gag of making an OK sign with the right thumb and first finger asking “Can you poke your head through this?” when they say no use your left first finger to poke your head through the hole of the right hand. They fail to the third test (but it’s a gag and you have been gaining a lot of time misdirection on the black knife). Pick up the knife and ask about its color again. Pass it through the fist changing its color “Close it’s white But … it’s not your fault, it’s bad lightning here” Palm up right hand picks up the knife, showing white, protruding from the fist and hold it by its middle between thumb on top and first finger under. Paddle move to show it white. “If you turn it this way it looks white” rotate the knife between the fingers and paddle move. “but if you turn it this way it looks black” Rotate between the thumb and first finger changing its showing side and paddle move. The left takes the knife by its end back in Spellbound position. The color is now changed back an forth between the left thumb and first finger in a rapid sequence. “I should have explained this before You see this is black. Black is a dark color.” Show black on both sides. “Remember black is a dark color” Turn the knife genuinely to show white and paddle move. “… and white is a light color … now if it where black it would look like this … but if it were white that’s how it would look … and if it actually was white you could take it and…” The middle and third finger moves down for taking hold of the knife between them and the thumb. The first finger pushes the knife down as the thumb and middle and third finger do the paddle move. “ …change it to black…” Paddle move with the knife sticking down. “But that’s only if it where white” Genuine turn. “But it’s not. It’s black” Genuine turn and paddle. “Actually it’s black and white” Show both sides without paddle. “Would you like to try?” Hand it over and “Now I shouldn’t do this but since it’s only a test I’ll show you how it’s done. But if you tell anyone it’ll be like cheating OK? OK!... The knife actually has four sides! Let me show you…Side one is white, side two is white, side three is black, side four is black. And now for the last question of the test, do you know why it’s black? Because if it where white…” Show white side “…you couldn’t do it.”

Tamariz, Juan: Sonata: Two sections one section of this great book is devoted to magic with penknives. & Translated in French under the same Sonata title (Ed Georges Proust) . 40 pages It takes 9 knives to perform all the routines. & Greater Magic Video Library # 41. Color Changing Knives

Tarbell, Harlan, Course In Magic Vol VII p 209. Color changing knife routine. This routine is the standard one, using a two knife set (one gimmicked)

Thompson, Johnny: Commercial Classics DVD (Volume 4). Color Changing Knife - Thompson's routine is simple, direct and concludes with an unexpected third color change.

Warlock, Peter: Come a little loser The Penshawe Press. Knifed by Roy Walton is a full routine with the color changing knives.

Wilmarth, Phil: The Magic of Matt Schulien Magic Inc.: Nice colour changing knives routine. This one uses four knives, including several gimmicked. It also uses comedy. Magic Inc.

Yedid, Meir: Magical Wishes. Includes a Color Changing Knife Interlude (not a routine) as well as lots of other coin, card, and other magic. Meir Yedid Magic

Young, Mark K. The Amazing Jumping Arrow. Same principle as the colour changing knives but an arrow moves up and down a rod. The principle could be used for the Swiss army knives (Victorinox) logo having a wider variety of effects. First the logo moves up and down and then the knife changes color (Niberco supply from sleeve, and pocket ditching of the other a la Slydini/Gary Kurtz). If not interested in the Swiss army knives, any small (preferably meaningful in the frame of the plot) decal would do.

York, Scott: Lecture Notes. Covered in these notes are Scotty's theory on performing magic, Color Changing Knives, Greater Magic Video Library DVD # 49 Bar Magic Scotty York’s Color Changing Knives.

Zavis, William: Videonics Program #15 William Zavis Vol. 2. Color Changing Knives, complete in every detail.

Posted: Dec 12, 2008 1:45am
Now having studied these I made a routine with a script and a persona.

A precious knife is taken from a chain getting to my right pants pocket.
Then the knife is placed in my left jacket pocket (to illustrate the risk of losing it) but is reproduced in a different color in the right hand.

This is repeated five time explaining each time what makes that color useful in a knife (I use Swiss army knives, but I'm thinking of changing for beautiful Joe Mogar's knives of various color).

Then sucker explanation with Scotty York's knife under the watch band and one paddle move (the only one in the routine) to make the Swiss Army Knife logo go down on the knife... and further down...

Then the knife vanishes and for the climax the chain which end was initially replaced in the right pants pocket, is pulled up and the original precious knife is reproduced at the end of the chain (a solution that Gaetan Bloom found for me in a discussion and never published anywhere).
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
truesoldier
View Profile
Inner circle
1191 Posts

Profile of truesoldier
Hi Lawrence

Thank you so much for taking the time out to provide me with such an in depth response, it's really really appreciated.

This is very helpful as it provides me all the information I need in order read up on the subject, thus in turn helping me to put together a routine and presentation of my own.

Thanks Again For All Your Help
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10974 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Wow that was awsome Lawrence, but you forgot one of my favorites, Michael Tucker
he has a wonderful routine.
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Laurence: You are a fountain of information. I don' know how you do it.... My memory is fading, but I "think" a move of mine is in one of the later Tarbell volumes. It's the roll down. You have the CC Knife on you palm, crosswise, and by dropping the hand the knife rolls down toward you fingers. The thumb comes down on it stopping it. It goes so fast the opposite side color is not noticed.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5965 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Here's where I got my copy of the Merrill book: http://www.magicgettogether.com/mm5/merc......de=Books
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5488 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
Wow! Lawrence... thanks for that.
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17429 Posts

Profile of joseph
Lawrence posted:
"Martinez, Daryl: New Millennium World Tour. 1999 - 24 pages. p 22 Daryl´s Color Changing Knives: using a unique color changing knife complete with fingerprint & Foolers Doolers DVD 3. Misdirection knives. Daryl Color Changing Knives routine is presented to the audience as an alleged lesson in misdirection."

If you can find the knives, this is a great routine, and can be found on Daryl's
Fooler Dooler dvds....
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...