The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Presto Ring Tony Clark ? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
presto77
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of presto77
Hi Guys,
Do you know if the Presto Ring by Tony Clark has a rubber band on the key to fold, so the ring goes on?????

prest 77
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
is where I'm trapped, because of my
4071 Posts

Profile of Michael Peterson
I don't think you will get an answer on this. You're asking a question about a marketed effect, & that would be exposure.

Mike
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5454 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Presto77, I thought you found this version of Ring Flight there in England and were in the process of buying it. At least, that is what you said on the other thread you started on the topic. In fact, at this writing you have five posts, and four of them are inquiring about this product.

If you want to know how it works, you’ll have to buy it.

Let me say that the trick is ingenious; it does not use magnets, hooks, reels, rubber bands, fake body parts, or flashing light for misdirection. The key is instrumental in Tony’s handling, but is totally normal in every sense. In fact, you could replace it for a similar key that goes to something you lock (like your house key or lock on the chain to secure your motorcycle).

I was somewhat wrong in my analysis saying that this is same method as Jeff Stewart’s “Ring Thing”. In fact, while the effect is the same, the method is different. I will say that Jeff’s version is more deceptive at some level than Tony Clark’s version. However, Jeff’s version has not been made or sold for a decade now (I make my own).
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
presto77
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of presto77
Hi Guys,
Thanks. Yes, a Dealer in the U.K. HAS one, but not sure if it is Tony Clark's?
But thanks, guys. He said it has rubber bands; not sure if it is Tony Clark's one.
Sorry, Harry, you have been a star *********.

presto77
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5454 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Presto77, thanks for the compliment! Especially since I have done nothing but try to help you. Ah, then, my dear old sainted Mum said, "No good deed goes unpunished."

As to the dealer! Be warned of him/her. Tony Clark's "Presto Ring Flight" is clearly packaged as such. It says in simple English "Tony Clark's Presto Ring Flight" right on the front of the package.

He is totally wrong if he suggests that Clark's prop uses rubber bands! I've listed above what it does not have.

Here is exactly what you get: a small plastic package about 6" by 3.5 inches by less than .5 inches thick. In it you get one sheet of glossy paper (7-inches by 10-inches) that is folded to show the label of the trick (its name and effect and a line drawing) and when unfolded has seven (7) color photos of the handling. There is a second sheet of paper (8.5 by 11) that has the basic routine printed on one side and a "bonus" "Card Flight" trick using the prop on the other side.

Then, there is the prop. It is a wire key ring on a leather fob. The wire ring is about 1 and 1/8 inch in diameter, and the fob is oval in shape about 3 inches long and 1 and 5/8 inch at its widest. The fob has an oval plastic coated metal medallion hinged onto one side. The one I have has the American flag embedded under the plastic (I don't know if other designs are available - I suspect not).

Finally, there is a simple key blank (uncut key).

That's it. If the dealer product does not meet that description, then he/she isn't selling you Tony Clark's product. Beware. I was being totally honest in my last two paragraphs describing the prop. There are no rubber bands involved, nor need there be.

If you would like, I can photograph the actual prop and send it to you via email. PM me.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I have one, and I wish I had invented it.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5454 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Pete, have you seen Jeff Stewart's “Ring Thing” version? It is similar in concept but with a different gaffus. I believe it is a bit easier to use and is more deceptive in general. I also think that taking the ring off looks better (looks like you are actually taking it off a spiral key ring). Still, it’s horses for courses. Still, Tony Clark’s is a good idea and works. The big plus, of course, is that it is readily available!
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
And a bargain price.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
jayder
View Profile
Regular user
scotland
196 Posts

Profile of jayder
Hi there,i just bought presto ring flight at an auction.Mine didn't come with a key.Can somebody tell me what the key is for.The instructions don't mention a key either.I know it mght not be allowed to mention on the site so maybe I could pm someone.cheers.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5454 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Key is not central to the routine. It is there just to show that this is a key ring. Put a couple of your own on the rey ring.
jayder
View Profile
Regular user
scotland
196 Posts

Profile of jayder
Thanks Harry.I just seen the key mentioned and couldn't figure out why I needed it for the trick.Cheers.
Pauldela
View Profile
Special user
U.K
882 Posts

Profile of Pauldela
Mine is for sale if anyone is interested.

It's a great litte ring flight - PM me if you want to buy.
KPPfeiffer
View Profile
Loyal user
206 Posts

Profile of KPPfeiffer
The description of the effect reminds me of Steve Dusheks Ringer, which I used years ago. Its off the market, but Steve sold me one some years ago and so it may be possible to get one. The problem so to speak: if you lose a part -which happened, when I wore it as my daily key fob - the game is over.
If anyone knows the difference/advantages, I would appreciate it.
Klaus-Peter
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5454 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Klaus-Peter, Steve Dushecks Ringer and Tony Clark’s Presto Ring Flight are very different in appearance and (more importantly) methodology. Ringer was a better (more elegant) solution to the Ring Flight effect. Tony’s version has nothing to get broken or lost (you know what I mean). However, there is a bluff in taking the ring off the key ring. Honestly, the spectator cannot remove the ring. To allow the spectator to do so simply tells him the method.
KPPfeiffer
View Profile
Loyal user
206 Posts

Profile of KPPfeiffer
Thank you Harry! You are always a fountain of knowledge and advice, willing to share.
I would like to try out the Jeff Stewart version, which seems off the market, or?
Best
Klaus-Peter