The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Urgent interlace problem... is this normal? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Tim Hannig
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago area
1151 Posts

Profile of Tim Hannig
I'm a big fan of Sanders stuff, but am just wondering I might have received a manufacturing mistake.
I'm hoping to debut this in two weeks, so I was planning to use this time for practice and rehearsal.

The s****e that goes down your p**ts seems to be MUCH more narrow than what is on the dvd.

The top of my gimmick is only 3 1/4" and the bottom is only about 2".
When Richard shows his gimmick on the dvd, he can fit all of his fingers into the top of the gimmick.
My wife can't even do that on mine.

So, the problem is after installation, the ring is getting stuck and is not appearing where it is supposed to.

Instead, it just disappears completely unless I dance around like a madman. (even after trying the 2 step process described in the dvd.)

Did I just get a bad gimmick?
Author of PERFORM, the 2020 Magic Cafe Book of the Year

"I loved this book!" Ken Weber

"4 out of 4 stars!" Nick Lewin

"This will be a classic of magic!" Mark Pocan

performbettershows.com
blackdeck
View Profile
New user
Baltimore, MD
85 Posts

Profile of blackdeck
I also have had that problem. The hole at the bottom was pretty small aswell. When I sowed the s****e in my p*****s it was small. I just little slits in the bottom of it. it works better now. But you can have a different s****e made with any material
Steveblackwell
View Profile
New user
99 Posts

Profile of Steveblackwell
If the ring is not showing up, you might need a heavier ring. You could also modify the thing to make it bigger but you don't want it too big that the ring ends up on the floor.
Mediocre the Great
View Profile
Inner circle
Rich Hurley
1062 Posts

Profile of Mediocre the Great
I performed interlaced at a wedding reception just last night and it fried the audience.... they actually believed me when I told them Criss Angel was one of my best students!

Interlaced is one of my most powerful effects BUT it has taken a lot of rehearsal time to work out the details...

Sounds like your gaff is the right size. I don't think the size of the gaff is the issue here. I have found that size and weight of the ring is important. It must not be too light or too heavy.

Positioning of the opening and shoe **** is very crucial. you need the ring to come out of the opening as close as possible! How the pants crease hang is very critial. Not moving until the ring has engaged on the shoelace are also very crucial.

One challenge in rehearsing is it is when the trick fails, it's hard to determine exactly what goes wrong. For me, it took a long time to get over 90% reliabiltiy. Now, I'm 99% certain the ring will hit the mark, and that's acceptable to me considering how powerful this effect is!

Becuase I sell Ring Finale, I have a large inventory of rings. I practice with a wide variety of rings to make sure everything is properly aligned before I go into performance. In fact, I keep all the gaffs in a special case with a couple practice rings inside. I try not to rush the set up.

Feel free to PM me to discuss in more detail. Don't give up. Interlaced is a killer effect!
Mediocrity is greatly under rated!
--------------------------------------------

Rich Hurley aka Mediocre The Great!
www.RichHurleyMagic.com
Tim Hannig
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago area
1151 Posts

Profile of Tim Hannig
I think maybe my problem is the pants.

They are about as thick as khakis, so maybe they weren't loose enough.
(not quite as tight as blue jeans, but still tighter than dress pants)

Thanks for all the tips!

Still trying...
Author of PERFORM, the 2020 Magic Cafe Book of the Year

"I loved this book!" Ken Weber

"4 out of 4 stars!" Nick Lewin

"This will be a classic of magic!" Mark Pocan

performbettershows.com
Mediocre the Great
View Profile
Inner circle
Rich Hurley
1062 Posts

Profile of Mediocre the Great
That's the problem alright! Khakis, dockers, jeans and the like are not suitable. You need a loose fabric for sure! Once you get this installed in a pair of nice dress slacks, you'll be on your way.
Mediocrity is greatly under rated!
--------------------------------------------

Rich Hurley aka Mediocre The Great!
www.RichHurleyMagic.com
Rich B.
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia
632 Posts

Profile of Rich B.
Here is a little tip. I've been performing Interlaced for about 1 and a half years and have about a 99% success rate. When it fails its because I borrowed a ring that is extremely light or extremely heavy. That would be operator's error.

However, even though I rehearse the trick before I go out and perform, I ran into difficulty about 2 months ago. The ring...no matter what size, wasn't connecting...it seemed to get stuck. I had to do my best Fred Astair impersonation to complete the trick. After 2 gigs, I started to lose confidence.

I finally took a look at my pants gimmick and found a severe crease in it that was put in by the dry cleaners. I ironed it out and it works perfectly once again. So make sure you check the pants gimmick when it comes back from the cleaners.

Rich B.
Papasmurf
View Profile
Special user
NW Ont Canada
540 Posts

Profile of Papasmurf
It has been working great for me as long as it is not a wee ring.
It has also worked well with the specs key, if their ring is too small.
It has also helped that I use a larger stronger thing in my place of contact.

Eric
puggo
View Profile
Inner circle
2022 Posts

Profile of puggo
I have had this for over a year, yet have never used it in performance due to the ring sometimes missing the mark (I had no problem with the S****e), and only having 75% reliability. Another thing I found was that the shoe ******* sometimes moved about (in either of the possible locations). Having said that, this thread has inspired me to get the rig out again and start 'ironing' out all the problems and to practice to perfection... well at least 99%!
Thanks!
DonHarlan
View Profile
Loyal user
Richmond, VA
296 Posts

Profile of DonHarlan
I have interlace installed in all types of pants. I will tell you it took many trips looking around to find the right jeans and khakis. But it is possible. The only problem with jeans is the way your hand enters your P*****. This part is a little harder to sell but still seems to work ok with Sanders finger tip handling.
Another tip I have found the hard way is the length of pants is a really key factor, If memory serves that part was a little vague on the dvd. All in all great effect.
“Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business.”-Tom Robbins
<BR>
<BR>“One man's "magic" is another man's engineering".-Robert A. Heinlein
Wanderer2
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of Wanderer2
I had the same problem. I thought there was a defect with it when I saw how much smaller the opening is than in the DVD. I guess I'll play around with some different stuff. I can't wait to get this working though. I love the trick and the methodology of it as well.
Sander
View Profile
New user
45 Posts

Profile of Sander
I even have a worse problem. Even with the t****l not installed in my pants, but I just hold it in my hands, the ring + gimmick get stuck somewhere in between. Ironing the t****l didn't help. I tried to make the gimmick heavier by adding a magnet to it, but still doesn't work 90% of the time.
The effect seems very nice, but I can't get it to work properly... Any suggestions??