The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Mesika Invisible Thread (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
yabi
View Profile
New user
Cherry Hill, NJ
92 Posts

Profile of yabi
Greetings all,

I am new to IT and have recently picked up Mesika Invisible Thread which comes in a reel with 30 ft of IT. The concern I have is that the thread is very noticable. The thread is very dark and can be seen from a long distance. I tried splitting the thread, but I believe it's already split. As I said, I am new to using IT so I might not have all the terms down. I believe I might have purchased the wrong type of IT, which is ok as long as someone can recommend to me the right stuff to purchase.

Am I missing something or do I make the wrong purchase?

If it helps to know the effects I am going for, floating objects like bills and cards.

Thanks for your assistance.
mmreed
View Profile
Inner circle
Harrisburg, PA
1432 Posts

Profile of mmreed
It should be already split - if you are using IT in bright light, it can be obvious.

The key to IT work is to control your lighting and backset.

Check out some of the work by Justin Miller - he does great thread work and his effects will help you get an idea of the environmental needs when using IT.
Mark Reed
Wedding and Event Entertainment
yabi
View Profile
New user
Cherry Hill, NJ
92 Posts

Profile of yabi
Quote:
On 2008-06-23 13:27, mmreed wrote:
It should be already split - if you are using IT in bright light, it can be obvious.

The key to IT work is to control your lighting and backset.

Check out some of the work by Justin Miller - he does great thread work and his effects will help you get an idea of the environmental needs when using IT.

I was playing with it with a night light last night and it was clear as day. It looks like a piece of thread from clothing. Maybe I can take some shots with the camera to show you what I mean.
pwolverine
View Profile
Regular user
Melbourne, Australia
112 Posts

Profile of pwolverine
Mesika's thread can be visible under certain conditions. I've used his kevlar thread (the little round dispenser) and under some conditions it really is visible,
but if you control your lighting a bit and avoid wearing black it can be quite invisible. that's the tread I use with my Losander's Dancing Wand.

I'd recommend the DVD Reflections by Yigal Mesika and Finn Jon. They talk a bit about lighting and the conditions you need for thread work. Or simply keep trying.
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3712 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
Or get some different thread.

Jim
WayneCapps
View Profile
Special user
Charleston, SC
769 Posts

Profile of WayneCapps
I have found the Mesika thread is a lot thicker than most. It is good for heavy objects (soda cans, sun glasses, etc.) but can be VERY visible in bright light. I recommend going to a craft story and picking up woolly nylon. You will have to strip it but that is the IT that most companies sell. PM me if you need more info, I have been using IT for years and am familiar with most products on the market.

Wayne
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3712 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
Agreed - working with IT should be frustrating - simply because you can't see what you're doing. If you can see the thread, it's not really IT, is it?

Jim
pwolverine
View Profile
Regular user
Melbourne, Australia
112 Posts

Profile of pwolverine
Wooly Nylon is good and very thin. However, it's not very elastic (it has a little give). If you want a good elastic thread, try Infinity Thread or Silk Worm. They are both good and can be stripped into thinner threads. Give them a go. Mesika's Elastic Thread is still fantastic stuff, and his Kevlar is also amazing for real close-up situations.
Sid Helkule
View Profile
Inner circle
Australia
1481 Posts

Profile of Sid Helkule
I also just bought some of Mesika's Elastic IT, and I was wondering if someone could point me in the direction of some good knot tying techniques? Mine seem to come apart quite easily. I too am new to using IT, any help would be greatly appreciated!