The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Bruce Cervon and Al Koran linking finger rings (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
thurstonlives
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of thurstonlives
Hello!

I supposse taht this question is specially for Mr Pete Biro...

Where can Al Koran's linking finger rings routine found? I recently bought a book ao Al Koran in wich the first image was Al performing the linking finger rings with the pencil and there is no mention at all in the book! The book is Al Koran Legacy.

Since that my curiosity has increased in this effect and I have read that Bruce Cervon developed an incredible routine. Had he put it on video or book before he unfortunately passed away? (Pete this section is for you)

Thanks a lot.

David
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5451 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
The Al Koram linking finger ring was sold as a separate item with all the necessary props.

You got a booklet of insturctions, two rings (one gaffed), and a gaffed wooden Pencil. If I remember correctly it was a Repo 71 release.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
thurstonlives
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of thurstonlives
Thanks Harry!

What is Repo 71?

I have readen that a new edition of my book "Al Koran Legacy" has it included. Anyway I think I did a great deal as it cost me just 10$ and is pretty new.

Can be still bought?
jskalon
View Profile
Special user
Shorewood, IL.
869 Posts

Profile of jskalon
Jack Skalon

"That's my story and I'm stickin' to it"
thurstonlives
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of thurstonlives
Thanks jskalon,

I have read that Pete Biro's review. Says that is SIMILAR that Al Koran's but not the same. Wich Im looking for is the one with the Koran's pencil. The last unlink is powerful! Has this pdf that handling?
jordanl
View Profile
Veteran user
325 Posts

Profile of jordanl
Repo(repro?) 71 is/was a British magic dealer.
jskalon
View Profile
Special user
Shorewood, IL.
869 Posts

Profile of jskalon
Well this version is based on Koran's and does use a pencil. I'll admit that I haven't seen the original Koran version. Soryy I don't know for sure.
Jack
Jack Skalon

"That's my story and I'm stickin' to it"
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
The pencil was a cheap way to do the final unlink. I guess you could make it work. Koran gave me the real work on this using a very complex mechanical pencil. I gave this to Bruce Cervon who KILLED WITH IT... and the secret was between the two of us for years.

DThe Stevens tape (maybe now DVD) on the Linking finger rings also has my method with a simple trailing TH***D that some say is better than the pen or pencil.

Then when I re-designed a linking finger ring tht is similar to the Diaconis design (Himber ring) but works way easier I decided it was time ro release the real Koran method, which he gave me when I wrote his lecture notes.

This is available from http://www.porperoriginals.com

The Trickshop routine is close and OK. One might want to look into Ron Wilson's Uncanny Scot book, that has a no switch routine.

Anyway the Koran routine as originally published, along with my version is include in the instructions form Porper.

Koran's original simple routine was marketed by Harry Stanley's Unique Studio in London, which was bought out by the lads at REPRO 71.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
shooz
View Profile
Loyal user
Mercer, PA
269 Posts

Profile of shooz
Also,Osterlind has a linking finger rings using a pencil on an older tape [V.H.S. is what I have]. It's a good routine with the pencil used in a creative way.
Hope this helps.
Shooz
With you in thought(s)

Scott Shoemaker... Shooz
thurstonlives
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of thurstonlives
Thanks Pete for the reply!!

Two questions:

Quote:
On 2008-03-21 22:29, Pete Biro wrote:
The pencil was a cheap way to do the final unlink. I guess you could make it work. Koran gave me the real work on this using a very complex mechanical pencil. I gave this to Bruce Cervon who KILLED WITH IT... and the secret was between the two of us for years.

This means that has never been published the Al Koran's mechanism? There is no way to make it by my self? I would really like to purchase your marketed effect but In my opinion what I don't like is the beautiful pen that comes since it does not suit me. I had the same problem with the "perfect pen" years ago. I was a teenager with a non casualty pen in my pocket...
A pencil or a more common pen would fit me better.

Quote:
The Stevens tape (maybe now DVD) on the Linking finger rings also has my method with a simple trailing TH***D that some say is better than the pen or pencil.

Do you refer to the GREATER MAGIC TEACH-IN DVD - HIMBER RINGS DVD?

Thanks Pete
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5451 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
You can make the version that is in the notes. It takes a wooden pencil and something found in most homes (where someone sews). While it is not the ultimate solution that Pete mentions it does work just fine!

Osterlind's solution also uses a pencil and it can be examined. His is a clever use of an item that would be found on a pencil. You can even also use Osterlind's method and use a ball point pen. He put out a small pamphlet explaining this trick.

Pete’s clever version (also very simple to make) is on the Himber Ring teach in video. It is typical brilliant Pete Biro thinking! Best part is it costs nothing (well you might have to buy a pencil but I'll bet you already have everything you need right now).

And don’t forget, you don’t need any of these extra gimmicked props to perform this trick. A simple swizzle stick (drink stirrer) or pencil, the Himber ring, and a lot of practice and you will have a fooler that will serve you for years!
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
thurstonlives
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of thurstonlives
Thanks a lot for your support Harry!

Quote:
You can make the version that is in the notes. It takes a wooden pencil and something found in most homes (where someone sews).

I have been looking for that notes, I purchased the book Legacy since someone told me that the book had the routine but not in my book (I have suspicious that is a false book as is spiral softbound like all Osbourne's editions). Where to find the notes is a mistery for me! No way! I have contacted with a lot of shops!

I bought Osterling's DVD set when it was released but I lend it to a friend of mine since I didn't do so much mentalism. Im surprised how much mentalism effects has been introduced in my act but always in a very magical way.
Before I started the topic I have been researching on the effect and had no luck. The most near I have been to Al Koran rings routine is the one with the linking rings not the one with the finger linking rings.

I would buy the description to someone here at the Café.

Do we have a second hand market? If not it would be interesting. I have been near a year to find Todd Karr's book on Germain and for example I have all osbourne books or Steinmeyer's Device and Illusion or Modern Art and I would trade them for other books like Bamberg's or The Silence of Chung Lee Soo.

Posted: Mar 25, 2008 4:54am
Hello!!

There is some news right here!

Im working on the Al Koran's original routine. At last I can say that I have it! Im reading it, studying it, loving it...

I have to thanks Pete Biro and Martin Breese for their support.

I have to say that I have bought the Ghostly Linking Rings since I saw them recently in Madrid. The quality of this product is simply amazing. I dislike the gold pencil since it does not fit me but the ring is also unbeateable by any Himber Ring so that's why I bought them.

On the other hand I have to say that Martin Breese is releasing a new version of Al Koran's Legacy but with much more new revised material. One of the routines included inside the book will be the "Linking of three borrowed rings" that describes the original gimmicked pencil as well the entire handling.

So my routine if going to use the Ghostly Ring and the original Al Koran's pencil since it suits me better than the provided by Joe Porper and Pete Biro.

One interesting thing for all the lovers of this routine would be that Joe Porper comercializate only the ring. I suppose that the pen one day will suit me but what no have sense is including a non gimmicked ring in the set. The only reason to provide it is just because you would provide your own ring in the routine but there is a lot of finger sizes so is easier to unmatch your finguer size than match it and always will generate a suspicious no matter how long the spectators inspect the ring. As I sayd the original routine is "Linking three borrowed finguer rings"!

So soon will be two original sources of the trick. Select the one that most suits as Im doing and...

GOOD LUCK!
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Thurston, for one good example of what to do with the ungaffed ring, see Ron Wilson's "The Uncanny Scot". It's not presented as if it's your ring.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Actually the mechincal pencil Porper makes is not that fancy looking and you could paint it to look like a pencil easily. I think maybe you worry too much about what the pencil looks like. Just try it and you will find all the attention is on the rings... nobody watching cares about the pencil. (it is often mis-called a pen, but is fashioned after a plain looking mechanical pencil).
MichelAsselin
View Profile
Veteran user
20th century, 3rd dimension
326 Posts

Profile of MichelAsselin
Roger Klause has an incredible handling. I use it in conjunction with the Osterlind finale.
" , ? ; !!! "
- Marcel Marceau, Feb 30, 1945.
thurstonlives
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of thurstonlives
Quote:
On 2008-03-29 21:36, MichelAsselin wrote:
Roger Klause has an incredible handling. I use it in conjunction with the Osterlind finale.

Where can be found?

Quote:
On 2008-03-29 13:09, Pete Biro wrote:
Actually the mechincal pencil Porper makes is not that fancy looking and you could paint it to look like a pencil easily. I think maybe you worry too much about what the pencil looks like. Just try it and you will find all the attention is on the rings... nobody watching cares about the pencil. (it is often mis-called a pen, but is fashioned after a plain looking mechanical pencil).

Yes, I might that is possible but I would like to be sure to not destroy the pencil at all. If I paint the pencil would not the mechanical be affected by the paint. Wich paint to use is better?

Quote:
On 2008-03-29 05:20, Curtis Kam wrote:
Thurston, for one good example of what to do with the ungaffed ring, see Ron Wilson's "The Uncanny Scot". It's not presented as if it's your ring.

Is not that book prtty difficult to find Kurtis? Wich is the effeect?

Thanks to all
You are marvelous
Tod Todson
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
1296 Posts

Profile of Tod Todson
From this link, it would appear that Repro Magic is gone, temporarily if not permanently:

http://www.talkmagic.co.uk/ptopic22427.php
Mystifier, Youth Speaker
<BR><BR>
danatasmagic
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of danatasmagic
Hi! This is Mike Danata from Mike Danata's Magic Studio in the U.K. Just to let you know, that in the last few days we have acquired all remaining stock plus all copyrights still owned by Repro Magic, who have now sadly ceased trading, due to health issues.

The copyright to the book "Legacy" by Al Koran has transferred to Martin Breese Publishing. The rights to sell the trick known as Al Korans Linking Of Three Borrowed Rings, has now transferred to Mike Danata's Magic Studio.

Actual stock of the book Legacy will be with us in a week or so, these are the last remaining copies from Geoff's stock (as published by him).

We also now hold the rights to many other items that originally came from the Harry Stanley Studio, rights that Geoff purchased many years ago when he started up Repro 71 .............

All good wishes

Mike
John
View Profile
Regular user
153 Posts

Profile of John
This thread started with the name "Bruce Cervon" but no one picked up on that in the duscussion. I own the Porper/Biro "Ghostly Finger Ring" and am interested in the Cervon routine, subtleties and "convincers." Does anyone know if these are available in any form?
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Cervon's handling and audience/management along with his incredible skill with the finger rings are not in print or available anywhere.