The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: My Lady's Other Ring-John Lovick-Joshua Jay-Talk about Tricks (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
rpierce
View Profile
Inner circle
New Hampshire - USA
1220 Posts

Profile of rpierce
For anyone who has this DVD and saw on Vol 2, John Lovick perform 'My Lady's Other Ring' he mentions that the fake directions to this trick where going to be printed 'For Real' in the September 06 Issue of Magic Magazine. Does anyone know if this is the case or if not what issue it did appear in, if at all? Any PM's would be appreciated.
Handsome Jack
View Profile
New user
Los Angeles
32 Posts

Profile of Handsome Jack
The fake instructions are actually in the October 2006 issue.
Eric Jones
View Profile
V.I.P.
Director of Product Development
2101 Posts

Profile of Eric Jones
This trick was worth the price of the DVD set for me. Well this, Rune Klan's Impromptu Hitman and I Dream of Mindreading. I've been playing with the routine since I saw Mr. Lovick perform it at a lecture recently. rpierce, If you decide to play with it, drop a PM my way. I'd love to bounce a couple of ideas concerning it your way.
“We're two tigers away from an act in Vegas.” Greg House M.D.
<BR>
<BR>http://www.ericjonesmagic.com
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
I saw John do this a while back at a convention and was blown away. I did not know it was on that DVD. I've been wanting it for a while, but now that seals the deal. I gotta put it on my list to Santa.
Corbett
View Profile
Inner circle
Indiana
1163 Posts

Profile of Corbett
Can someone tell me what this effect is, regarding John Lovick.
Doctor D
View Profile
Special user
565 Posts

Profile of Doctor D
Quote:
On 2008-03-17 09:39, Corbett wrote:
Can someone tell me what this effect is, regarding John Lovick.

This might sound confusing, but here goes nothin':

The performer invites a lady on stage to assist him in the trick and read the instructions out loud as he executes them.
Following those instructions, he borrows a ring from another lady, ties it onto a string and makes it dissappear. He then pulls out a ringbox and shows that it contains a ring... but not the lady's ring.

In an effort to make things right, he borrows the first lady's ring. This one is then shown to the second lady, who, surprised, exclaims that it is hers. After some comedic byplay, the performer pulls out the ring box yet again, showing that it still contains a ring... which belongs to lady nr. 1.

Phew!
squando
View Profile
Elite user
444 Posts

Profile of squando
For the record the Instructions are printed in Magic Mag. Sept 2006.
Frank
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5695 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
Talk about Tricks is a great DVD set. I Dream of Mindreading was worth the price for me! AWESOME!
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
Scott Fridinger
View Profile
Special user
Gloucester Pt, VA
893 Posts

Profile of Scott Fridinger
All of Lovick's stuff is great.

You will need 2 mags. October and September. One has the "Instructions" the other has the actual method explanation. He lectured in Tucson and was talking about he misprinting of the effect.

He sells several sets of notes, many of the effects mentioned are in there, so may be worth looking into.
www.JustGreatMagic.com
Sleight of Hand, Sleight of Mind
T.House
View Profile
Loyal user
279 Posts

Profile of T.House
Where can one obtain the Lovick lecture notes, other than by attending a lecture? Does he have a website with his products?

Thanks,

Bruce
Jeff Dial
View Profile
Special user
Kent, WA
533 Posts

Profile of Jeff Dial
You might want to email him.

http://www.handsomejack.com/
"Think our brains must be too highly trained, Majikthise" HHGG
T.House
View Profile
Loyal user
279 Posts

Profile of T.House
Thanks, Jeff.

Bruce
truesoldier
View Profile
Inner circle
1191 Posts

Profile of truesoldier
As everyone here agrees this really is a great routine. I would love to be able to get back issues of this with the fake instructions, alternatively I may type something up in a DTP package and make it look like a nice instruction sheet that was sent by mail order or something. (Then take it across to a stationary store and get in professionally binded)
Hansel
View Profile
Inner circle
Puerto Rico
2492 Posts

Profile of Hansel
I agree here with Eric Jones,This was probably the most valuable piece on the entire dvd set! If you don't have this dvds you would feel so happy to buy them!
Best always,
Hansel!
Follow Me...
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Hansels-Comedy-and-Magic-Show-929625643774678/
Youtube: HanselSP
Twitter: @HanselSP
Instagram: HanselSP
Caleb Wiles
View Profile
Inner circle
Indianapolis, IN
1132 Posts

Profile of Caleb Wiles
This is one of my favorite routines as well. I perform the effect as taught on the DVD with my own print out of the instructions pasted into the magazine. It's not pretty, but only the spectator on stage sees it anyway. Plus, I vanish the ring in a ball of fire. The instructions in the magazine talk about threading the ring onto a string.

At any rate, the Talk About Tricks DVD set has more than one item that would be worth the price of the set. I'm amazed at how much solid material is offered. If you're interested, I wrote a full review on my blog. Here's the link: http://calebwiles.blogspot.com/2010/09/t......alk.html

Caleb
http://www.CalebWiles.blogspot.com
Check out my Main Event project (DVD or Download).

"Magicians, stop what you're doing right now and pick this up!" - John Guastaferro

"Caleb Wiles is the real deal!" - David Williamson

"...my very highest recommendation." - John Carey
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Can anyone tell me if this routine is substantially different from Mike Close's version of this trick? In his "You Axed for It" lady #1 reads from a list of "instructions" as well. Of course, in Close's version there are a couple of funny props that don't seem to be in the Lovick routine. But there are some great gags.

And just in case anyone doesn't know, both of these are versions of a trick John Cornelius taught in one of his early lectures, called "M'lady's Ring".
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
Scott Fridinger
View Profile
Special user
Gloucester Pt, VA
893 Posts

Curtis,

I just read Closes' right-up in Workers 3, and I have seen Lovick perform this at a Lecture. The main differences seem to really be the props. Lovick doesn't use the Lippincot Boxes, just good old Ring Boxes, and there is no tiny plant. It has been so long since I read Workers, that I really couldn't believe how close they seemed to be, particularly some of the patter.

I am not saying there was any stealing, etc. done here; so please let's not start that. Lovick's routine, written for a magazine, using props that are easily accessible, plenty of room to make it your own. Close's routine is very much Michael, his props, his style, imitation would be bad.

I just pulled out the lecture notes that Lovick wrote in 2008. He mentions he first learned this from Close's Workers. He also gives credit to Cornelius as the originator. He says his version is the middle ground he developed between the Cornelius and Close routines.

Scott Fridinger
www.JustGreatMagic.com
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Thanks, Scott, I've been wondering, since I've heard so much about John Lovick's routine lately. John Cornelius' idea is very tempting, but IMHO, the jury's still out on whether his approach has more impact, or is more memorable, than a well-structured straighforward ring-in-impossible-locartion effect.

Frankly for me, the best argument for Mike Close's routine is the line that can't be repeated in polite company. It's funny, and it provides what the effect needs most--clarity.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
Scott Fridinger
View Profile
Special user
Gloucester Pt, VA
893 Posts

From what I have read from Lovick and Close, they both wanted a routine that was more streamlined then Cornelius's original. I like the routine as well, but I believe that a person who does not do it properly will cause confusion.

Lovick has a line that isn't very nice either. When he "realizes" the other women had the ring on her finger he says, "You B..." Maybe this routine just lends itself to saying not-so-nice stuff.
www.JustGreatMagic.com
Scott Fridinger
View Profile
Special user
Gloucester Pt, VA
893 Posts

You know Curits, Close's effect isn't on any of his videos, so I bet most people (like me actually) didn't know about or forgot about the routine in Workers. And since Lovick's has shown up in several places the last few years, it is the one getting the attention.
www.JustGreatMagic.com