The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Tommy Wonders Ring, Watch, and Wallet (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Simon Bakker
View Profile
Special user
the Netherlands
587 Posts

Profile of Simon Bakker
Hello,

Four years after first experiencing this beautiful piece of magic, I've decided to work on it myself. Since the props involved are complicated (also the very reason that true magic is created in my opinion) I was wondering if there are people here on the Café that actually perform Tommy's routine?

If so, what kind of pull are you using? I've heard that the cobrapull from Hottrix is a good alternative?

I would love to hear from people who used this effect!

Regards,
Simon
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
I saw a clip of some one do there version which seemed more practical. I too have always wanted to do this routine but certain requirements were not to my liking. This kid did it with a watch ring and a Ipod or some thing like that I think the watch was substituted. I saw it on here but not sure how long ago.
korttihai_82
View Profile
Inner circle
Finland
1882 Posts

Profile of korttihai_82
I open all my stand up acts with this for way over 2 years by now. Before that I used to do it Alan Saxon way with devils hank, but really, making the pull made it at least three times better.

At the moment I use hottrix medium strenght python pull. However it is not locking so I had do made small adjustment for the gimmick so it isn't pulling all the time but it has worked like charm otherwise. The best thing about it is the strenght. It doesn't have any problems pulling even heavy gimmick. I have read a lot of praise about petrick and mia reel and it is locking, but I am scared to invest 100$ for reel if it doesn't have enough strenght.

J-M
Jonathan P.
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1484 Posts

Profile of Jonathan P.
I saw someone decided to market the exact props needed to perform the routine (I read that here some months ago). If I remember correctily, it was still a project... If you do a search, you should find the thread quite easily.
See you!
Jonathan.
korttihai_82
View Profile
Inner circle
Finland
1882 Posts

Profile of korttihai_82
All manufacturing rights were reserved by Tommy Wonder. Unless someone bought the rights from him before his early departure I don't think anyone is allowed to make and marked this. Wonder himself sold his gimmicks for this trick for 1000euros

J-M
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4770 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
If you're interested in doing a similar routine without a pull or any bodywork check out 21st Century Coin Mechanics Ch. 24, The Watch, Wallet, and Ring. I've used this for years including the exact script taught in the book. It uses some sleight of hand that is easy to do. This approach to the vanishes is truly thinking out of the box. No apparatus is used to achieve the vanishes, just the watch, wallet, ring and a pay envelope. Check out the book at the link below by my signature.
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2181 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
I have been hunting for the perfect pull too, for this masterpiece.

M:C
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3362 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
I love to watch this routine - but never got around to do all the preparation required to perform it myself.
Cards never lie
korttihai_82
View Profile
Inner circle
Finland
1882 Posts

Profile of korttihai_82
Its a pain trying to find watchmaker who can to the dirty thing for you unless you have very good equipment or clock worker skills yourself. I made mine myself but I think it took me allmost a year or 2 to find even suitable materials and watches but I think it was worth it.

J-M
sleightofand
View Profile
Regular user
London, UK
188 Posts

Profile of sleightofand
I think the market effect is called mugged. it comes with a mask etc. I saw ali cook do this in new york to a policeman and thought I was wonderful and had no idea how it was done, great stuff!!
korttihai_82
View Profile
Inner circle
Finland
1882 Posts

Profile of korttihai_82
Orginal Saxon routine also uses pure devils hank. For killer version replace it with Patrick Page hank. I did it that way as well for a year or so, but nothing beats the clean vanish of wonder version.
Mr.Crebar
View Profile
Loyal user
231 Posts

Profile of Mr.Crebar
Can this effect be found online (youtube, metacafe, etc)
GeorgeG
View Profile
Special user
Thousand Oaks, CA
979 Posts

Profile of GeorgeG
Nathan Alexander
View Profile
Inner circle
2054 Posts

Profile of Nathan Alexander
Thanks for link George!
GeorgeG
View Profile
Special user
Thousand Oaks, CA
979 Posts

Profile of GeorgeG
Metacafe wouldn't play at my work's computer - must be the firewalls - but YouTube did run...so here is an alternative and some more Wonder videos.
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
I never liked the Devil's hank version of this. It looks to.....what's the word here.....crappy. Mugged is an exception. The real beauty of Tommy's routine is that each thing is made to vanish in a slightly different way. He was a true genius.
oldi
View Profile
New user
switzerland
92 Posts

Profile of oldi
Why don`t use the topit instead of the pull?
mydogripper
View Profile
Regular user
Atlanta, GA
182 Posts

Profile of mydogripper
If anyone needs assistance with the Ring the Watch and the Wallet contact member KenW here in the Café. He has extensive experience with building and performing this effect.
http://www.MerrittAmbrose.com
2011 Greater Atlanta Magician of the Year
Nathan Alexander
View Profile
Inner circle
2054 Posts

Profile of Nathan Alexander
So I went back, read the effect (I only have the one volume, but it was the one!) and remembered why I didn't investigate further. Then I saw the clip of Tommy Wonder himself performing it posted on youtube.

I was floored. It looked amazing. There are no reasons anymore for me not to do this. It's beautiful! And it's worth the work. So many of us routinely do this? Do I have to buy a duplicate watch? Mine is not cheap (not expensive, just not cheap).

Anyway, I would love to work this.
korttihai_82
View Profile
Inner circle
Finland
1882 Posts

Profile of korttihai_82
I don't think I expose anything that isn't commonly known by saying that you need another watch and you have to pretty much break it apart as well for the trick. Before dreaming of performing the effect as Wonder I can also state that you really have to be sort of MacGyver to even make the gimmick. Its not something that can be bought from any shop and it really is quite (Some might even say extremely) complicated to make. But its worth it in the end. Wonder used to sell his gimmick for 1000$ according to some people in the Café.

J-M