The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Wedding ring effect - suggestion? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Roland78
View Profile
Special user
Torino, Italy
567 Posts

Profile of Roland78
I have to perform some effects to a wedding of a couple of friends, the next month. I'd like to add an effect with the wedding ring of the bride, but I have never done this before.
Do you have any suggestions on what should work, based on your experience?

Dave
nicd
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
164 Posts

Profile of nicd
What kind of effect are you looking for?
Gregory Wilson has a nice ring on string routine called "Ring Leader" for example.
I've been using a comedy-type ring routine lately, if you're interested pm me or let's discuss it in the secret sessions.
Roland78
View Profile
Special user
Torino, Italy
567 Posts

Profile of Roland78
I don't know what I'm looking for, I'm open to all suggestions until I find something that tickles my brain and gives me a smile Smile
Anyway, I'll PM you about your routine!

Dave
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
While I don't feel it's a good idea to have a new bride remove her ring on her wedding day, I will suggest a couple of possibilities.

-Thimble moves.
-Sankey's "Stirring Silver" (ring & spoon).
-The old ring on a ribbon routine that's done under a hanky (cloth napkin in this case)and on the table.

I suggest these because they're somewhat safer than some others.
Whatever you decide, be careful.

Also keep in mind that some wedding rings nest with the engagement ring, some are jeweled and some simple bands.
Having a loose diamond become missing can be a problem.

Best,
Phil Thomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Newark, Ohio
1117 Posts

Profile of Phil Thomas
A nice linking ring effect would be nice. You could throw in some patter about how the rings are now one as are now the bride and groom or whatever romantic wedding drivel you can come up with.
"If we lose the sense of the mysterious, life is no more than a snuffed out candle."

Albert Einstein
magicstudent
View Profile
Elite user
489 Posts

Profile of magicstudent
Try Fireflight ( http://themagicwarehouse.com/cgi-bin/findit.pl?x_item=LP6867 ), check the demo. It uses a really simple and effective method. Good luck.

Jeff
I'll Be Back!
-Schwarzenegger-
Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1732 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
How about Chance Wolf's Ring Grinder.... J/K
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
Ring in Nest of Boxes
Lippincott Box
Ring & String
Ring & Wand
Wedded Bliss
Gaeton Bloom's Ring Flight (no r**l)
Richard Sanders' Interlace
Etc.

I would stay away from anything with reels, anything where the ring is apparently destroyed, or anything where the ring could be dropped or scratched.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Roland78
View Profile
Special user
Torino, Italy
567 Posts

Profile of Roland78
Thanks for all the suggestions!

Dave
erodoeht
View Profile
New user
Adelaide, South Australia
45 Posts

Profile of erodoeht
You could do a switch after taking the ring, so as not to lose their precious gift on such a sacred day, THEN perform Ring Leader!
Or you may want to bring your own and add in a few De'Ring effects.
graywolf
View Profile
Special user
South carolina
631 Posts

Profile of graywolf
Bad idea to mess with her ring..Howard
Dan Paulus
View Profile
Veteran user
Utah is isolated from the real world by
343 Posts

Profile of Dan Paulus
HIS ring may not have any stones, if so you could do a ring flight with his instead of hers.

Vanish a ring/ then ring in envelope/wallet.

Ask to borrow the rings from the bride or grooms parents. If you know them well you could slip them a Himber and link them. Talk about how they have survived X number of years and are linked together by love. (awwwwe) and how you wish the same for the new couple.

From one of the Kurtz videos: Place both rings on a wand or pencil and have them hold the ends. The husbands ring slowly moves towards the wife’s, showing who will yield the most power in their relationship.
There is no great genius without a mixture of madness. - Aristotle
Aristotle

www.danscomedymagic.com
Angelo the Magician
View Profile
Loyal user
Vienna(Austria/Europe)
217 Posts

Profile of Angelo the Magician
After reading your lines I had the following idea!

Congratulate the husband to the beautiful bride, then show a golden coloured curtain ring "Here is the ring of my first girlfriend - you can imagine how much her weight was - it is the ring from her little finger!"

Then show a ring and rope effect - you know enough yourself!

But don't use the wedding ring of the bride, it is new, it is a kind of "holy" thing (I hope you understand my English) for her - it is not funny, not for her nor for her friends (guests) who realize, that she doesn't feel well!

Good luck!

Angelo
Roland78
View Profile
Special user
Torino, Italy
567 Posts

Profile of Roland78
Quote:
Talk about how they have survived X number of years and are linked together by love. (awwwwe) and how you wish the same for the new couple.

I could drown in honey and have some puke attacks with such a sweet line Smile

Dave
Scott Fridinger
View Profile
Special user
Gloucester Pt, VA
893 Posts

Profile of Scott Fridinger
I would agree not to use her ring, not only is it "dangerous", but it is tacky. She just got it, it is that special day, leave it on.

If you want to use a wedding band ring, buy a cheap one, get it dirty, and talk about your Grandparents, and how this is your grandmother's ring. This will remain within the theme. People will snicker, or worse, if you ask for her ring that day.

And if it drops on the ground.......
www.JustGreatMagic.com
Sleight of Hand, Sleight of Mind
Dan Paulus
View Profile
Veteran user
Utah is isolated from the real world by
343 Posts

Profile of Dan Paulus
Quote:
On 2007-06-08 05:22, Roland78 wrote:
Quote:
Talk about how they have survived X number of years and are linked together by love. (awwwwe) and how you wish the same for the new couple.

I could drown in honey and have some puke attacks with such a sweet line Smile

Dave

Just the kind of sap that gets said at a wedding. The bride will love it, and the old couple gets a round of applause. Smile
There is no great genius without a mixture of madness. - Aristotle
Aristotle

www.danscomedymagic.com
cviolette
View Profile
New user
Washington
73 Posts

Profile of cviolette
I wouldn't recommend doing magic with someone's wedding ring, really bad idea. Instead you could do the Anniversary Waltz routine; it's safe and leaves the bride and groom with something to keep.
Bob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Philadelphia, PA
1251 Posts

Profile of Bob Johnston
Quote:
On 2007-06-07 10:16, graywolf wrote:

Very, Very bad idea indeed.

Bob
HeyLockwood
View Profile
Regular user
Arlington, VA (D.C. suburbs)
128 Posts

Profile of HeyLockwood
Quote:
On 2007-06-17 22:00, Wellington wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-06-07 10:16, graywolf wrote:

Very, Very bad idea indeed.

Bob

Yep, I wouldn't mess with a new bride's ring on her wedding day. Not even on a bet.

Honestly, I think you should just do a good show, make the newlyweds the stars of the show, and leave her ring alone. She's been waiting her whole life to get that ring; she doesn't want to give it to the magician on her wedding day. Trust me on this one.

-Mike
Why doesn't it tickle when I tickle myself, but it still hurts when I stick a fork in my eye?
matt.magicman
View Profile
Inner circle
Mars
1527 Posts

Profile of matt.magicman
Baaaaaaad idea!
I'd go for matthew j downden's walk around waltz any day