The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Magnet Question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Bande
View Profile
Elite user
436 Posts

Profile of Bande
I am new here, so apologize in advance if this is well trod territory, but I did not find much in my search.

While I know there are differences and prefernces between M5, Big Bertha, PK rings etc., at some level magnets are magnets. What I am looking for are some really good DVDs, books etc. that tell you great things to do with them. Is there a "PK Ring Effects" DVD for example?

Thanks
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
"Prohibition" is one effect you may want to look into.

The only magic booklet I have is Bob McAllister's "Dot's Magic". This dealt with effects you can do with small neodymium magnets. Unfortunately the booklet is very hard to find.

Magnets have been used with steel coins, in cards, rope, TTs, for impromptu chop cups and many other objects to hold out, ditch, adhere, link, etc.
M5, Big Bertha, PK rings, Raven, The Bat, Subterfuge and other commercial items usually come with a few routines.

Good luck,
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
I think the makers of the Wizard PK ring now has a DVD on it's use.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Bande
View Profile
Elite user
436 Posts

Profile of Bande
Jaz, 100% agree with you on Prohibition -- actually that's what got me started on this thread. Smile That effect is so amazing, was wondering what else I could do with my new toy. I bought a Black's ring, so no access to Wizards forum alas -- been searching for a DVD like Dave describes but no luck yet.
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
One tip - you don't have to actually be wearing the ring to use it. I've done a couple of effects where I ditch the ring, use it to good effect, then slip it back on. People don't seem to notice that you're wearing a ring, then you're not, then you are. Smile
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Even if they do notice, you can work it into your routine. Whit Haydn openly removes his ring when he does his coins across routine, and slips it back on when he's done. Of course, in that trick the ring is part of it, but it doesn't have to be. Just take it off and pocket it, along with removing your watch, rolling up your sleeves, whatever. Out of Sight, Out of Mind, and you're ready to go! Great thinking!
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Randwill
View Profile
Inner circle
1914 Posts

Profile of Randwill
This will be another another "Amazing Disappearing Magic Café Thread." There seems to be a Café-wide ban on any mention of PK rings and "Prohibition" in the same thread. Wouldn't want THAT to get out. Ha!
close-up
View Profile
Loyal user
260 Posts

Profile of close-up
Another effect worth looking into is "Enigma" by Nicholas Night. It is somewhat similar to Prohibition as to its working. A really great effect in the right hands of course.