The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Jay Marshall (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
magus
View Profile
Special user
Huntington Beach, Ca
669 Posts

Profile of magus
I saw Jay Marshall do a routine using a sheet of newspaper, where he folded it into several different hats. But I haven't seen this in years.
Does anyone know if this was published anywhere?
Please PM me if you know anything about this routine-
thanks,
Pat
crappy deium-

what a lousy day to be seized

thaumometer-

a device for measuring a magical field
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3883 Posts

Profile of Julie
Hello Pat> I believe you're remembering his Juan Escadero routine. I don't recall if it's in print, but would suggest you contact Magic INC. in Chicago.

Julie
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17424 Posts

Profile of joseph
Either that, or Troublewit ...
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5447 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Marshall may also have simply been performing Gene Anderson's act.

Anderson takes a sheet (double page) of newspaper and makes several hats, one leading into another. It can be found in his book (co authored with Francis Marshall) "In the News".

That book also has dozens of newspaper based tricks and routines including Anderson's "Torn and Flash Restored Newspaper." It is a best buy for books and is still in print and still sold by Magic, Inc. (Jay's shop) in Chicago.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
magus
View Profile
Special user
Huntington Beach, Ca
669 Posts

Profile of magus
Julie, I sent an e-mail to Magic Inc. Joseph, good idea, but not quite what I was looking for, but like I said, good idea, and Harry, thank you, I read the this years ago, but at the time I was interested in the newpaper tear and completely missed the "hat trick" in there. Thank you all for taking the time to help out.
Pat
crappy deium-

thaumometer-

Richard Evans
View Profile
Inner circle
1379 Posts

Profile of Richard Evans
Sounds like Juan Escadero to me!

Jay Marshall's 'Table Crap' video/DVD from Stevens Magic features the brilliant Juan Escadero routine.
I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I only lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three. Elayne Boosler
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3883 Posts

Profile of Julie
No, Jays newspaper bit was neither Gene Anderson's routine nor Troublewit...it was Jay's!

His vanishing cane follow-up was near perfection,too.

Julie Smile
adramindmagic
View Profile
Regular user
East St. Louis
106 Posts

Profile of adramindmagic
I remember visiting Jay's shop and one of his big sellers was his hat tears. I guess you could start by checking his shop.
I love magic!
mrmystic
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago
200 Posts

Profile of mrmystic
Jay did both Juan Escadero and Trouble-wit the folds for the hat for Juan Escadero are in Gene Andersons book and as Richard said, a video of it is on Jays Table Crap.
magus
View Profile
Special user
Huntington Beach, Ca
669 Posts

Profile of magus
Mrmystic- Thanks for clearing that up.
I've ordered table crap and I'll check it out.
Pat
crappy deium-

thaumometer-

DrVG
View Profile
Loyal user
273 Posts

Profile of DrVG
Excellent pointers, thanks gentlemen
VG
DrVG
View Profile
Loyal user
273 Posts

Profile of DrVG
Quote:
On Mar 4, 2007, Harry Murphy wrote:
Marshall may also have simply been performing Gene Anderson's act.

Anderson takes a sheet (double page) of newspaper and makes several hats, one leading into another. It can be found in his book (co authored with Francis Marshall) "In the News".

That book also has dozens of newspaper based tricks and routines including Anderson's "Torn and Flash Restored Newspaper." It is a best buy for books and is still in print and still sold by Magic, Inc. (Jay's shop) in Chicago.

is it the same as NEWSPAPER MAGIC by GENE ANDERSON and FRANCES ?

thanks
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5447 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Yes "Newspaper Magic" was authored by Gene Anderson and Frances Marshall.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!