The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Once again I need advice, This time for a Friend... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
Well this is for my buddy in Jersey and although he does have an account here he tells me that he doesn't know what to ask.

Her goes Magicray80(ALSO KNOWN AS RAYMOND(AND YEAH EVERYONE LOVES HIM))is either Opening or Closing his first Stage show. He is used to just MCing the show and doing his little bits in between acts. Well he wants to do a few Classics in the Art ala Linking Rings and T&R Newspaper. Well I do niether of the two so I cant really give much info. From what he told me, his T&R Newspaper is "No Tear" Which from what I understand is the downfall is that the effect begins with the Paper already Torn. He is looking for ideas on how to bring the paper into play with it having to be torn already. I turn to you guys because you guys have helped me hundreds of times. Any help would be great. Thanks in Advance.
graywolf
View Profile
Special user
South carolina
631 Posts

Profile of graywolf
It is like the dog ate my homework.Tell the audience tha you were going to read them something from the paper but it got ripped up.Hey your a magician you can try to restore it.In my school shows I tell them that my pet dragon ripped it.Cordially,Howard
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
2001 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
"So how did you guys like (insert act name here)? Let's give'em a big hand. So I ran across something interesting the other day while reading the newspaper..."

Just off the top of my head...
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5488 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
Mark Mason does a great bit where he introduces the individual pieces of newspaper as a collection of funny and/or ironic headlines, which he reads through, one by one, before actually restoring the paper.
mrsmiles
View Profile
Elite user
443 Posts

Profile of mrsmiles
The Mason approach is very good - it's by no means original to him. I pretend there are all sorts of weird or funny things on the newspaper. You can take the concept in all sorts of directions. I weave in an old joke thus: I pretend one of the pages has the racing results on them, a race I bet in. I tell them the name of the horse that I bet it at 10-1 ... and that it came in half past three. Old gag, but it never fails to get a laugh.
mrsmiles
(UK)
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Have the paper in the hands of a trusted friend in the front row. Make the comment "I gave a newspaper to someone to inspect and hold for me earlier and I want it back now...." get the paper and notice it is torn, look like you can't believe that occured (bad acting doesn't help here) and say "well, I guess I don't have to tear it now...geez..." then go into the restoration.
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
Nice ideas fellas.
Magicray80
View Profile
New user
New Jersey
69 Posts

Profile of Magicray80
Thanks guys

Paisa I owe you one
"And What Not!!!" paisa23 you know what i mean.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
You mean you REALLY exist???
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
LOL that's funny. You thought I was joking? There he is.
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
I'd probably complain about how the paperboy always throws the newspaper in the middle of my yard, and the last time I mowed my lawn I ran right over it. But that's okay, here's the last tip that I gave him (show a torn up $5 bill). Next, I'd read funny headlines as I looked at each piece before restoring the paper (old idea), and then say that I'll only use my powers for good as I do a flash restoration of the $5 bill.

Best, Larry
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I can't hold back any longer! Forget that version and learn Andersons and your problem is solved! Larry, you are doing the Vulcan greeting wrong.
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
I agree with MagicSanta. At the end of the day, I don't prefer the no-tear version.

paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
Well there you go Ray. What else can you ask for? You have Larry himself lending a hand.