The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Floating a napkin rose (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
reuben
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of reuben
I'm looking for a good method of floating a napkin rose. I like Kevin James's floating rose and am thinking to buy the DVD however if anyone has another suggestions I'm all ears. Also I have thread but don't yet have a reel, do I need a reel for Kevin's floating rose or not?

Cheers

Reuben
Reuben King Magician

http://www.reubenking.co.nz/
luizpardal
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of luizpardal
hctlam
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of hctlam
Reel is not used for Kevin James' floating rose.
Eirik
View Profile
Special user
Oslo
879 Posts

Profile of Eirik
And don't hesitate to get the KJ Floating Rose DVD, it will teach you one of the finest floating routines to date. (be sure to order flash sheats at the same time).

-e-
...As long as i`m not a world-champion at anything, the great reactions of doin` magic will do just fine.....
reuben
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of reuben
Thanks for the info
Reuben King Magician

http://www.reubenking.co.nz/
takeachance
View Profile
Inner circle
3791 Posts

Profile of takeachance
I put Kevin James Floating Rose down as one of the best and graceful levitation routines I've seen, just love it!
echomagic
View Profile
Veteran user
344 Posts

Profile of echomagic
An easier way to float a napkin rose would be to use a l**p. In a restaurant setting, it would be for a short float before giving it to restaurant patron.

I have the K. J. video. It is an elegant 5 minute routine. It depends on whether you want to do this "impromptu" or as stage act.
Bendy
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
518 Posts

Profile of Bendy
I just use one of Yigal Mesika's L**ps.
Lawrens Godon
View Profile
Inner circle
France
1108 Posts

Profile of Lawrens Godon
K. James Floating Rose is a hit every time for me...may I perform it in front of children or adults, everyone seems to enjoy this beautiful levitation effect...
Last time I performed it was in a little cabaret setting...with the front row at less than a meter from me...The lighting was so good it was fun to see some people trying to see from even closer!!! Smile
The nice touch about this technique is that it allows you to input your own ideas and effect...
Have fun !
Charlie Justice
View Profile
Inner circle
Mount Dora, Florida
1142 Posts

Profile of Charlie Justice
A nice impromptu, subtle and very magical looking presentation at the end of making a napkin rose is to pretend to attempt to balance the rose on your open palm once or twice and not quite finding the right spot. On the 2nd or 3rd attempt, cup your hand/fingers in a bit and stick the stem between your middle and ring finger, clipping it, now balancing the rose vertically as you extend it to the spectator for the giveaway. It looks as if the rose is just balancing on your palm at your command as you present it to your spectator.

It's not a 'magic' effect but looks very magical. It's sorta like an impromptu semi-floating rose without making it look as if you're trying to deceive them about it. It's just a very classy and neat way to offer the rose at the end of floating one or instead of floating one if you don't have the means.

peace, charlie
BCaldwell
View Profile
Special user
is really regretting his
524 Posts

Profile of BCaldwell
I perform the Floating Rose using a reel, but it is certainly not required.
"...that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller Smile

~Bob~
sethbek
View Profile
Regular user
New York
161 Posts

Profile of sethbek
*poof*
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1831 Posts

Profile of wally
Has anyone used elastic thread with f.. rose.
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
No, too... "bouncy." Same reason for not using a reel.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
Kevin James Floating Rose is one of the most beautiful pieces of magic ever devised in my opinion. So definitely pick that up.

When you don't want to use flash paper here's the routine I do.

I first make a napkin rose out of a plain white napkin.

I give it a little magical gesture and I tell them it's now an enchanted rose.

I make it stand up on the palm of my hand then make it float (Like KJ floating rose).

After that I have them smell the napkin rose and to their surprise it actually smells like a real rose.

Then I turn it into a colored napkin rose (found at http://www.napkinrose.com) using a method I have in my BAR TAB E-book.

For the floating I just use my ITR. I agree with Dave that the ITR isn't the best method for the floating rose. But with lots of practice it can be done and you can control the "bounce".

It's a very fun routine and it seems impromptu. Not as great as KJ's routine but good for those situation where flash paper isn't ideal and the colored rose makes a great give away.

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.