The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Pen Thru Anything...? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
the_hidey
View Profile
New user
Chris
63 Posts

Profile of the_hidey
How would you all rate the perfect pen thru anything? Are there any downsides?
Thanks
Chris
yoey2000
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of yoey2000
Well I have a pen that can go through anything, but I don't know if it's the same one.Bbut mine can't be examined. But there may be tons of them out there.
Andrew E. Miller
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1428 Posts

Profile of Andrew E. Miller
The Perfect Pen is great! It works really well! And when you "tear" it out of the bill it makes the LOUDEST tearing noise! It is a real convincer. What is then nice about it is, you don't have to take away anything at the end, like most other pens, and yet it can still be thoroughly examined. Some people complain that it looks so fancy spectators automatically think it is a magic prop. If you are dressed appropriately that will not occur. That includes a dinner suit/tuxedo or fancy attire. Fancy dress=Fancy pen, your good! The $45 price is well worth it.

P.S. Oh, and it works real well if you have them sign their bill with the Perfect Pen. It writes better than most other pen through anything pens.
:bigsmile:
If you get bored go to www.a-miller.idz.net and watch some magic.

-Andrew
BenSchwartz
View Profile
Elite user
Southern California
499 Posts

Profile of BenSchwartz
I agree with RegalFan (AKA Andrew). Most people always think that it looks too nice to use it. But if you are dressed in a suit, aren't you supposed to be carrying around nice stuff and not a cheesy bic pen? Just a thought.
"The experience of astonishment is the experience of a clear, primal state of mind that they associate with a child's state of mind." ---- Paul Harris
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Perfect Pen is great. But I like Pen Thru Anything better. After the pen switch, the spectator can examine the pen. It will be 100% safe. They are made with metal.
Andrew E. Miller
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1428 Posts

With the Perfect Pen, Chris, you won't have to switch or ditch anything, let alone a whole pen! And it is still thoroughly examinable! There is nothing to hide! Forget switching!

-Andrew
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I had the Perfect Pen before. The cap became too loose. The same thing happened with a friend of mine's. And they run out of ink a lot faster. The switch makes it harder, but I still feel more comfortable.
Andrew E. Miller
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1428 Posts

Just to let you know, Chris, I have had no problem with mine and all my friends have not had any either. The quality making of the pen does not get much better. Enjoy!! Happy Holidays!

-Andrew
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17429 Posts

Profile of joseph
$45? Does it come with the tux? (Just kidding.) My favorite is Doug Edwards' Wonder Pen-tration. The pen is examinable after the effect, and it is great. Smile
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
2001 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
This topic has been discussed before under Perfect Wonder Pens.

I have used Doug Edwards Wonder Pen-a-tration to great effect. I think it is superior to any other pen for a couple of reasons.

First, it doesn't look like a prop, it looks like an ordinary, regular, everyday pen.

Second, it refills quite easily.

Thirdly, with just a bit of work, the pen is totally examinable at the end. I don't trust the Perfect Pen gimmick. It was demo'ed to me very early on in my magic career and I found the gimmick in about three seconds. Most times handing out the pen isn't even an issue but I have had a couple people literally take my wonder pen apart (which is possible). The perfect pen will not undergo such scrutiny. It is very nice to know that the pen can withstand even the sharpest of skeptics.

Last and most importantly, the handling that is possible with the wonder pen is superior to the handling possible with any other pen. You cannot do the routine I do with the perfect pen (you can with the vodoo pen or others similar to the wonder pen).

In my opinion, the Wonder Pen-a-tration is the best of bunch.
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
Andrew E. Miller
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1428 Posts

That is just the thing Kallix, you don't want an ordinary everday pen being used if you are performing at an event anything more than casual. Maybe you might for a casual dress thing. It looks better to have a nice looking pen to go with your nice attire rather than a cheesy pen like a Bic or a Papermate! It looks wrong! It all depends on what you wear when you perform, Chris.

-Andrew
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
2001 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
Regalfan,
What pen you use is clearly a matter of personal preference. I don't think that using a standard Bic pen while wearing a tie and jacket is cheesy. Magicians use Sharpie markers in suits and no one blinks. I grant you that using a stylish pen when dressed up certainly doesn't look out of the ordinary. It seems appropriate. But using a standard doesn't seem wrong.

For me, the other factors that make the wonder pen so much better than the perfect pen, far outweigh the "classy looking pen" advantage. I'd rather do a fantastic routine.

To each their own...
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
Andrew E. Miller
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1428 Posts

It just looks more natural if you have the pen that matches your attire. I am not forcing this on anybody! Stop yelling at me! Sorry....

-Andrew
the_hidey
View Profile
New user
Chris
63 Posts

Profile of the_hidey
Yeah, well I'm more of a street magician, nothing serious, just something to entertain friends. Also considering my background, we don't have many posh pens, still using the feathers & ink here. So I'll just go for some Papermate/Bic type. Thanks for all your advice.
Chris
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
2001 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
RegalFan,
Dude, I'm not yelling at anyone, least of all you. Just posting my opinion. You are free to disagree with it if you choose.

Don't be so sensitive...it's all good Smile
~Daniel J. Boorstin
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Chris, I'm glad you've made your decision. I hope it works best for you. Remember, you do what you do to please yourself, not anyone else. Merry Christmas

Kaliix, I like your advice. I agree with what you said. I can tell you are a good magician.
Andrew E. Miller
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1428 Posts

I was just kidding Kallix. Good for you Chris. Go with the pen that fits you! Merry Christmas!

-Andrew
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5965 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I've never had a problem with the one that I use. The audience thinks that there is something funny about the bill.

By the way, the one I use is Magic Pen Penetration, made by Empire. The handling is easy!
Andy G
View Profile
Regular user
Terra Australis
180 Posts

Profile of Andy G
I make my own from regular papermate pens, and no one has ever asked to see the pen. If they wanted to they could examine it, however. As Alan says they always look at the bill first.
Andrew E. Miller
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1428 Posts

The handling is all the same for all the pens Alan! LOL!

-Andrew