The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Napkin Rose (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
TOM WIESE
View Profile
Regular user
103 Posts

Profile of TOM WIESE
Need input on "Napkin Rose". I think this might be something nice to give away for special someones or on special occassions. Twisting a napkin into a rose.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Hi Tom
The napkin rose has been covered very extensively. Do a search
Al Angello
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2250 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
I think it was Michael Mode who put out a DVD on the subject. A quick Google search should pull up several dealers who carry it.

Kevin
Kevin Reylek
Nicholas
View Profile
Special user
I predict that I now have
900 Posts

Profile of Nicholas
Although it's been covered before, go to napkinrose.com and you will see the instructions on making the rose. There is also ordering info there for the napkins.
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3716 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Hi Tom,

I like the napkin rose. It is simple to make and people really love them. Although you can get the colored napkins that make it look more like an actual flower, they work out just as well by using regular, all white, bar napkins found everywhere for free.

As mentioned before, you can go to napkinrose.com, look on the left side of the home page, and click to learn the basic rose. After 2 or 3 attempts, you'll figure it out. I find that if using a "2-ply" napkin, it helps to peel off one of the layers and use it that way. For that matter, with one napkin, you can make two roses!

Once you learn it, it's kind of like riding a bicycle...you'll never forget. They are lots of fun, people love them, they make great giveaways no matter where you are and the supplies are free. For the price, you can give them away all day to your mother, girlfriend, wife, neighbor, the lady at church, the waitress at the restaurant...well, you get the picture.

Have fun with them. I sure do. Smile
Fort worth Magic
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of Fort worth Magic
Be warned if you are using this in a show, I made one at a walk around show for someone and as soon as others saw it I spent the rest of the time just making Napkin roses, the "Magic" part of the show was over. wiat till the end to do this.
Andre Hagen
View Profile
Inner circle
1432 Posts

Profile of Andre Hagen
I learned to make the Napkin Rose from a booklet I purchased from Doc Eason at a lecture many years ago. Whenever eating out and I'm served by a waitress rather than a waiter,I always leave one on top of the tip or hand it to her and it is always appreciated.

I never did anything else with it until someone...I don't know who...suggested I end my birthday shows by bringing up the birthday child and asking him or her if their Mom planned the party, and invariably they answer "Yes."

While I'm talking I make the rose and when It's finished I give it to the child and say "Give this to Mom and thank her for the nice party." It's a nice touch and the mother (who pays for the show) definitely appreciates it.

I guess the printed napkins are a nice touch, but somehow for me it takes away from the impromptu nature of the gesture.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein
sfmiraj
View Profile
New user
san fransicko, CA
45 Posts

Profile of sfmiraj
A great routine by Ron Jaxon in his e-notes on the Napkin Rose is fantastic. Create a napkin rose from a white paper napkin - and it changes to a colored rose.
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4758 Posts

Profile of emyers99
I've been using this for over 10 years. Made literally hundreds of these. I always made the standard "rose" until I read Michael's article in MAGIC a few months back. His new method for making the petals look more like real rose petals is fantastic and makes the flower look 100% better. Definitely learn the new handling.
magicmode
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of magicmode
I'm glad you like the new way of making the Napkin Rose.

I just came out with two brand new colors for the roses - purple and white! They look great.
You can see them at http://www.napkinrose.com

Michael Mode
David Bilan
View Profile
Special user
Clarksville, TN
714 Posts

Profile of David Bilan
Mike,

The petals really add to the appearance. Very nice touch!.

David
Yes, I am a magician. No I did not make my hare (hair) disappear... it just took early retirement.
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4758 Posts

Profile of emyers99
The napkins are a little pricey but very nice.
BrucUK
View Profile
Regular user
UK
163 Posts

Profile of BrucUK
<The napkins are a little pricey but very nice.>
For ease of use, Michael's pre-made napkins are the way to go, however, I too thought they were a bit pricey, and limited, and have been trying to find alternatives, as there are some fantastic napkin designs out there.
It is perfectly possible to make **any** coloured rose using two napkins.
It's not quite as good, the stem is a little thicker, and the flower eventually detaches, however, it's perfectly accaptable:
1> The "flower" napkin gets folded into half, and rolled under the stem in exactly the normal way. The flower is much, much fuller.
2> It required a lot more practice to get the hang of it, and I'm still working on the principle, however, I've made all kinds of perfectly acceptable colour/head combinations over the last couple of months.
Not sure it's one for workers, but as an intellectual exercise it worked for me, I'm sure the idea can be developed.
Bruce
Charlie Justice
View Profile
Inner circle
Mount Dora, Florida
1142 Posts

Profile of Charlie Justice
A nice subtle and very magical looking presentation at the end is to pretend to attempt to balance the rose on your open palm once or twice and not quite finding the right spot. On the 2nd or 3rd attempt, cup your hand/fingers in a bit and stick the stem between your middle and ring finger, clipping it, now balancing the rose vertically as you extend it to the spectator for the giveaway. Again, it's not a 'magic' effect but looks very nice. It's sorta like an impromptu semi-floating rose without making it look as if you're trying to deceive them about it. It's just a very classy and neat way to offer the rose at the end.
Nicodemus
View Profile
Special user
646 Posts

Profile of Nicodemus
Could someone tell me which specific month the Rose was in Magic magazine? The one witht he new petals...

Thanks, - Nicodemus
" Res Non Verba "

" Deeds Not Words "
magicmode
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of magicmode
Nicodemus,

The new version of the Napkin Rose was published as a special insert in the February 2006 issue of MAGIC Magazine. It's printed on a thick Valentine's Day card with three Napkin Rose Napkins attached. Stan Allen really did a great job with the project and didn't cut corners when it came to production value. You should be able to purchase the issue from http://www.magicmagazine.com

Michael Mode
Nicodemus
View Profile
Special user
646 Posts

Profile of Nicodemus
Most excellent Michael, thanks for the info... I have just ordered it. Look forward to learning this improvement to the petals, these roses always get a warm response.

- Nicodemus
" Res Non Verba "

" Deeds Not Words "
magicmind
View Profile
Inner circle
My fence has 20,
3292 Posts

Profile of magicmind
Michael....Fianlly...NEW colors...and just the right ones!! Have the DVD, but the Magic magazine insert, WOW! loved the tear method.....EVERYONE likes these much better!!!

Thank you for making something so eas and so beautiful for the specs!!
magicsoup
View Profile
Elite user
461 Posts

Profile of magicsoup
I love the npkin rose. For mothers day I did and torn and restored napkin (Jim Pace) and made a rose out of the restoreed napkin. Went over great!
jdbach
View Profile
Regular user
United States
174 Posts

Profile of jdbach
This is great! I like making these roses to give and it is such a simple, gracious gift. Mike Close's Rabbit from a napkin is another option. See Workers Series by Close.