The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Pencil color divination (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
quickhands
View Profile
Regular user
132 Posts

Profile of quickhands
Dear People,

I am new in the Café and I am very happy. I think that this is a good resource for all magicians and magician wannabies, thanks for having it!!!

Growing up, my father, who was a pro magician, had a little number where he showed a matchbox containing 2 color pencils (one red and one blue) wrapped in paper tissue. He would ask a spectator to choose one and put it in the box while keeping the other one hidden. Then, he would tell the person the color of the pencil inside the box.

I made my own set of pencils then but unfortunately, they are many miles away. They were cooler than my dad's because you could read the brand of color pencils that everybody used on them. I was wondering if anybody could tell me the name of that trick and possibly a source. I suppose I could remake my own set but I no longer have easy access to damaged color pencils and I think that it would be easier to buy it.

Thanks,

QH.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27316 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Saw it in Tannen's a long time ago. Two small pencils, a matchbox and some tissue. They probably still have it there. Smile
...to all the coins I've dropped here
David Nelson
View Profile
Elite user
San Mateo, CA
404 Posts

Profile of David Nelson
I believe that this was Howie Schwarzman's brain child. He showed it off to me at the recent World Magic Seminar and fooled a lot of people. Then he disappointed a lot of folks that wanted to get it in the dealer's room by stating that it was no longer being manufactured.

Dave
Bob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Philadelphia, PA
1251 Posts

Profile of Bob Johnston
Quote:
On 2006-04-06 12:50, quickhands wrote:
I suppose I could remake my own set but I no longer have easy access to damaged color pencils and I think that it would be easier to buy it.

Thanks,

QH.

Why would you need "Damaged" pencils?

Bob
graywolf
View Profile
Special user
South carolina
631 Posts

Profile of graywolf
It is not being manufactured any more due to what makes it work is banned in some places and is dangerous.Cordially,Howard
quickhands
View Profile
Regular user
132 Posts

Profile of quickhands
Well, you do not need damaged pencils but I makes the job easier. In fact, after I realized that it is no longer in production, I made my won yesterday and it looks and works great!

QH.
Allan
View Profile
Elite user
405 Posts

Profile of Allan
The name of the trick is "pencil mental". As far as I know it is no longer being made. I have been searching for one for quite a while. If you or anyone else finds a source I would appreciate the information.
quickhands
View Profile
Regular user
132 Posts

Profile of quickhands
Allan,

You could make your own like I did, it would take a maximum of 2 hours depending on your ability to use tools.

Thanks,

QH.