The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Parlor and stage routines with more effects (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Angelo the Magician
View Profile
Loyal user
Vienna(Austria/Europe)
217 Posts

Profile of Angelo the Magician
There are not many stage routines, which consist of more than one effect. Most of them have only one effect as e.g. the hand-chopper (Nice patter but short magic effect). Well work rope-routines, torn and restored Newspaper with water, Linking rings, Malini egg -bag. What are your favorite not - close up - routines with more than one effect?
Angelo the Magician
View Profile
Loyal user
Vienna(Austria/Europe)
217 Posts

Profile of Angelo the Magician
Hello again, I was informed, that the correct term is: "multiphase routine" (with patter). By the way, my favorite is Ring and Rope from David Williamson.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
It could be becuase people have short attention spans.
what is sometimes done is that "call backs" are used which tie things together and create comedic moments.

I don't expect hold people's attention in a larger show as easily as I would in a living room show.

a quicker pace is what seems necessary.

I'm sure others will chime in.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
When you suggest that an effect such as Hand Chopper has nice patter but is a short effect, I get a little concerned. When I read that comment, I envision someone simply pulling up a volunteer, chopping their hand and sending them back to the audience. Although that is the bare bones effect, a lot more has to go into it in order to make it a truly entertaining piece of magic. Once you factor in all of the "extras" that make this effect a success, it can become a fairly lengthy routine.

Now, mult-phase routines do exist, but they don't necessarily add to the entertainment value of the show. More isn't always better. It really depends on how well the routine is presented. A classic stage effect with multiphase sequences built into it is the Asrah. It combines a levitation with a vanish and a reappearance. When performed well, the routine is an absolute killer illusion.

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Harry Anderson's "finger chopper" from "wise guy". a great routine.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
RickyD
View Profile
New user
South Carolina
91 Posts

Profile of RickyD
Don't know if this is exactly what you're looking for, but here are the two that came to my mind:

The Strat-O-Spheres. It's really more of "variation on a theme", but it involves transpositions of colored balls within a tube, a vanish, and a reappearance. (Actually, the way I perform it, it involves two separate vanishes and two separate productions. But I'd rather not give away my whole routine ... Smile )

Also, rope routines (which you alluded to earlier.) You can use a single piece of rope to go from C&R Rope to Professor's Nightmare back to a restoration of all three ropes into a single rope again. (I'll have to find the source for that. Don't recall off the top of my head ...)

I'm sure there are others ...
"The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ be with your spirit. Amen."
-- Philippians 4:23
Michael J. Douglas
View Profile
Inner circle
WV, USA
1645 Posts

Profile of Michael J. Douglas
Quote:
Also, rope routines (which you alluded to earlier.) You can use a single piece of rope to go from C&R Rope to Professor's Nightmare back to a restoration of all three ropes into a single rope again. (I'll have to find the source for that. Don't recall off the top of my head ...)

Sounds like Whit Haydn's "Mongolian Pop-Knot."
Michael J.
�Believe then, if you please, that I can do strange things.� --from Shakespeare�s �As You Like It�