The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Help with the Classic Razor Blades Effect (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
DerekMerdinyan
View Profile
Inner circle
1030 Posts

Profile of DerekMerdinyan
A couple of problems I am having:

1. How do you keep the packet together? The one I do is just thread wrapped between each layer. that's fine, but sometimes the ends get in the way.

2. How do you find the end easily?
- I was thinking of putting a little tape on the end but sometimes the ends still get tangled.

Thanks!

Derek Merdinyan
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5454 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Without seeing how you set-up your packet I really don’t know how it is going wrong for you.

I don’t use “standard” blades (the kind with the slit down the center). I found, years ago that they become tangled easily (two many edges and protrusions). I use a blade that has three holes instead. If you are stuck with the center slot type of blade then cover that slot from both sides with clear plastic tape. Punch a small hole to thread the blade into position.

I have a very small bead on the end that I grasp to start pulling. I have a large knot (knotted on itself about six times) to tell me that the end is right there (and it can’t chip the teeth when it is pulled against them).

I use a strong quilting thread. I have a gimmick that is explained in one of John Booth’s books for setting up the blades and thread. I use his method of set-up.

I’ve been using the same set of blades for almost 22 years now. I had them nickel-plated to shine under the light. I cannot remember a time when this set-up became tangled.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
DerekMerdinyan
View Profile
Inner circle
1030 Posts

The tape doesn't sound like a bad idea! I'll give that a try. The blades I am using have the center slit. The way I set up the blades is to have two needles or toothpicks sticking out of a foam block. I stick the 1st blade on the two needles and then wrap the thread around the 2 needles. Then when it gets to it, I slide the next blade over the wound thread and then continue wrapping and covering each level. At the end I don't know what to do with the end...

Derek Merdinyan
DerekMerdinyan
View Profile
Inner circle
1030 Posts

Ok... I tried the tape and it works but then I have to keep doing it again each time as the saliva gets the tape to come off. It works but it is time consuming.

Ok so say I do that and it works, how do you keep the packet together for loading and what do you do with the ends?

Derek Merdinyan
Michael J. Douglas
View Profile
Inner circle
WV, USA
1645 Posts

Profile of Michael J. Douglas
Derek,

You should have enough thread at the "pulling" end to wrap around the blades a few times. That should keep them together.
As for the tape coming off, I don't know what to tell you about that. You could try laminating the blades. That stuff is much better than tape.

Good luck.
Michael J.
�Believe then, if you please, that I can do strange things.� --from Shakespeare�s �As You Like It�
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Instead of plain tape, try the plastic used to seal cards with. This is a stronger laminating set. But I would think 3M clear plastic tape would work if you place the tape on all the metal, so no saliva would enter the sealed tape to the blade metal.

Don't use plain scotch tape.
DerekMerdinyan
View Profile
Inner circle
1030 Posts

All that helped alot!

I couldn't find the laminating stuff, used to have a bunch of it... I just used some wide clear tape and did pretty much the same thing.

Wrapping the bundle helps a lot I just need to practice unwinding it in my mouth.

Derek Merdinyan
Michael J. Douglas
View Profile
Inner circle
WV, USA
1645 Posts

Profile of Michael J. Douglas
It's just trial and error from here! Clear packing tape is basically the same as laminating sheets. It's a bit thinner, though.
As for the unwinding, the blades shouldn't be flipping around in your mouth. The thread should be set up so that it unwinds as you pull the end. I hope you get what I mean.
Michael J.
�Believe then, if you please, that I can do strange things.� --from Shakespeare�s �As You Like It�
DerekMerdinyan
View Profile
Inner circle
1030 Posts

That makes sense. I can easily modify the wrap to get that. I wish the source I learned this effect from had all this info on it!

Derek Merdinyan
WayneNZ
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1014 Posts

Profile of WayneNZ
Buy the Tim Ellis DVD, Your problems will be over.
DerekMerdinyan
View Profile
Inner circle
1030 Posts

In my research on this site ive noticed that that seems to be the best DVD...

Unfortunately I will be performing this on Wednesday and don't have time to order it. Yes I know I should have more time to practice this... Its gonna be a stressful few days but I have already improved it by leaps and bounds after the help I have already received.

Derek Merdinyan