The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: new ring trick (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Michael_MacDonald
View Profile
1964 - 2016
Washington
2034 Posts

Profile of Michael_MacDonald
I have just finished a prototype of a gaffed ring.
What happens is I show my ring on my hand, and the ring just vanishes right before the audience.
Both hands are clean. The ring is then found in a little box the spectators had from the beginning of the routine.

I am still working on the presentation, and would like to have any input or ideas on how I can make this a cleaner effect, i.e. patter, or any comments on how you would make it better.

Michael MacDonald
Allan
View Profile
Elite user
405 Posts

Profile of Allan
You have not given enough information for anyone to help you. You said, "Show my ring." I suspect that the ring in the box is a duplicate. Are you able to show the box empty prior to giving it to the spectator? Please elaborate if you want suggestions.
tla
View Profile
New user
Texas
65 Posts

Profile of tla
The effect thus far described sounds somewhat like Tommy Wonder's effect where he vanishes a watch and it appears in a bag/box at the other end of the room. You can find this effect in the Book of Wonder vol. 2.

In Wonder's effect, he borrows a watch. The effect is so strong, however, that it's beyond the audience's imagination: they can not piece it together, because the magician does not even come near the box/bag. This is called the "Too Perfect" problem. Tommy Wonder said that even the person who volunteered their watch does not believe that it's their original watch at the end of the effect.
Mister Hyde
View Profile
New user
New York City
87 Posts

Profile of Mister Hyde
Talon,

The effect you descrbed sounds amazing. Is that book still in print and can the mentioned effect be performed without too much preparation/confederates?
tla
View Profile
New user
Texas
65 Posts

Profile of tla
Mister Hyde,
As I said, the effect is described in Tommy Wonder's Book of Wonder vol 2. I just checked H&R Books and they have it listed in their used section for $36. This effect requires preparation but no confederates.
MxJoKeR
View Profile
Regular user
Nowhere, Oklahoma
173 Posts

Profile of MxJoKeR
I think that tricks that use confeds are just a bit lazy. What about you?
Do or Do-Not, There is no try--Yoda
ixnay66
View Profile
Inner circle
Denver
1525 Posts

Profile of ixnay66
It's about the effect in the spectator's mind. Confederates can create an INCREDIBLY strong effect. A lot of people think shells are lazy. With a shell you can create miracles and the same can be said about confederates.
johne
View Profile
Special user
960 Posts

Profile of johne
Personally, I think the idea is a good one, but needs to be done with a borrowed ring. Immediate suspicion will be "duplicate." Even if there is no duplicate used, if that is the impression it leaves, then the strength of the effect is not what it could be. Rather than risk damaging someone's ring though, you could switch it out, then back into play. You will have to be selective when you choose the person with the ring...make sure it is similar to the gaff you have designed.

John Eddington
Alan Wheeler
View Profile
Inner circle
Posting since 2002 with
2038 Posts

Profile of Alan Wheeler
As far as presentation and patter, I could suggest a story about how much your ring means to you (for example, if it is a wedding ring) or how you came about getting it. Hopefully, your spectators would have a chance to handle the ring or box or both during your introduction.

If you lost the ring or told about losing the ring, it might create some suspense, and finding it in the box would be a good resolution. Good thing you are a magician!

Because you want to use your own ring, why not make a big deal of the ring and how special it is and hide your secret right out in the open?

Just some thoughts from...

alleycat Smile
The views and comments expressed on this post may be mere speculation and are not necessarily the opinions, values, or beliefs of Alan Wheeler.
A BLENDED PATH
Christian Reflections on Tarot
Word Crimes
Technology and Faith........Bad Religion
Michael_MacDonald
View Profile
1964 - 2016
Washington
2034 Posts

Profile of Michael_MacDonald
alleycat, actually that is a good thought, thanks bunches.

As to the box, I am working on a load that will let me show the box empty then I will place it in the hands of the spec, or on a table.

With a little routining, the ring can be handed out to the specs.

Michael MacDonald