The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Hang em High (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
MAGICofSeth
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of MAGICofSeth
I just recieved Bob Sheet's Hang em High. Does anybody have a problem with the gimmick being totally obvious as a bulge in the center of the rope? Maybe I have a defective version. This package came with a bundle of rope, already totally assembled with gimmick and ready to go, and Mr. Sheet's directions wrapped around it. When I uncoiled the rope and began to practice, everything worked fine. When I taped myself doing the effect- the gimmick buldges out of the rope in the critical spot. My wife, who loves to watch magic and is not trying to "burn" my props for gimmicks, watched me do the routine- and immediatly asked as I casually displayed the rope, "what's with the bulge in the center?"

The gimmick is not visible. The rope simply has a one inch bulge in center. Like a snake ate a thimble and now you can see it in its body.

Any ideas?
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5454 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
There should be no visible bulge. It sounds poorly made. You may have to send it back or disassemble it and make sure that it is properly cored. It could be that too much core was pulled and the rope diameter “shrunk” accordingly.

I have an early version of Hang em High purchased from Al Cohen over 20 years ago. There is no bulge in the rope. I also have one I purchased just 4 years ago (can you tell I like the trick?) from Denny Haney (Denny and Lee) and it has no bulge.

Both are well made. The gimmicks are the right size for the diameter of rope.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Eric Leclerc
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa Ontario
1185 Posts

Profile of Eric Leclerc
This happened to me recently and was easily fixable. Because the rope is new and was packaged for a long time it has compressed itself a little.. Just stroke the rope in both directions and work it "open" to make it bigger. It worked for me, hope it helps you.. What a great trick, this is the trick the parents talk about after my kids show.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I just went to the lecture. The gimmick was visible on the stage but not unless you knew what to look for and where.

If you're not looking, from a couple feet away it's quite invisible.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Jim Wilder
View Profile
Special user
Birmingham, AL
954 Posts

Profile of Jim Wilder
I agree with Harry.

I have been using the same piece for around 4 years. It is not visible even when you know what you are looking for. You should be able to fix it, or get a replacement.

Send me a PM if you want to see a video of me performing with mine- you won't see the gimmick.
Jimmy Joza
View Profile
Special user
New York City
760 Posts

Profile of Jimmy Joza
Tannen's also has a version with nice rope and the g*****k is not visible at all.

Jimmy
"Those who simply walk in others' tracks leave no footprints."
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
The DVD has a lot of usable stuff. Nice bits o' bus. etc.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Another option is to have Pavel make you one - he does custom work, and suprisingly, is quite reasonable for the masterful work he does. Pavel can also suggest a color of rope that's best for camouflaging the critical area (I believe he makes suggestions on his website).

Anyway, if you have Pavel make you one, it will be perfect and undectectable from a few feet away. If I ever do Hang 'em High, that's what I plan on doing. BTW...his website is http://www.pavelmagic.com

Ron
Brian Tanner
View Profile
Loyal user
Ohio
297 Posts

Profile of Brian Tanner
I recently installed the gimmick myself in white rope. This was my first attempt, and I must say it looks pretty darn good !

I think the secret is to let the glue dry completely , and don't trim too much.

I've been practicing since I've stopped patting myself on the back. I can't wait to perform this for real people once I get my routined polished up .