The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Derivation of CMH effect (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Can anyone help with this issue. On Dan Harlan's "Rubberban Magic", Volume 1, Dan mentions that the CMH (of Michael Ammar's) is also known as the "Penetrating Bands" by Arthur Sutterington (sp?). I'm not certain if I spelled this name (Sutterington) correctly and I could find nothing doing a Goggle or a Café search under "Arthur Sutterington" or "Sutterington", etc. Does any one know the correct spelling for this magician's name and any source material listing this effect. I assume that "Penetrating Bands" came before Ammar's "CMH"--but I'm not even certain of that fact.

If anyone has any info on these matters, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
There was a rough description of this trick in one of the Tarbell volumes. You might check there.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Quote:
On 2005-12-04 04:06, Dave VanVranken wrote:
There was a rough description of this trick in one of the Tarbell volumes. You might check there.

Thanks, Dave.

Unfortunately, the only volume of Tarbesll's I own is volume 1 and I could not find it in there. Would anyone who has Tarbell's know where this might be and/or be able to find this quickly and without any major time or effort being expended on my behalf? If so, thanks in advance for the assistance.

Mike

Eschew obfuscation.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Turk
You are close Arthur's last name is Setterington, Google that spelling and you will hit pay dirt. I don't know what you can learn from Setterington after it has been improved on by Ammar.
Al
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10972 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
I have a booklet by Slydini's penetrating bands that I believe was in print earlier then the above mentioned
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Quote:
On 2005-12-04 08:41, juggleral wrote:
Turk
You are close Arthur's last name is Setterington, Google that spelling and you will hit pay dirt. I don't know what you can learn from Setterington after it has been improved on by Ammar.
Al

Thanks, Al. The only thing I'm really trying to learn is the origin of this "CMH-type" effect. I agree that Ammar's CMH is excellent. I'm just trying to establish in my own mind the first time this appeared in print. Thanks again.

Mike

Quote:
On 2005-12-04 11:21, vinsmagic wrote:
I have a booklet by Slydini's penetrating bands that I believe was in print earlier then the above mentioned
vinny

Vinny,

I'd be obliged if you would look and see if the Slydini routine "came first" and if (and how) it might have differed from Setterington's "Penetrating Bands". Dan Harlan stated that the Setterington "Penetrating Bands" was the first in this genre of rubberband magic. When I first heard that on Dan's tape, I had never heard of Arthur Setterington and now Dan (and you) have got me curious. Thanks for the help.

Mike

P.S. I know that you just recently moved. Hope the Slydini material is readily available. If not, this'll give you incentive to finally and fully unpack and get settled in in your new digs. (grin)

Eschew obfuscation.
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hi Mike:

I'm having to dig deep into my memory, but I believe the penetrating bands effect is in Tarbell, Volume 7. It seems as though it was contributed/described by Harry Lorraine, and contained at least one critical error in the description, making it difficult to learn.

My facts may be off; I'm sure someone will be able to set things straight, if that's the case. Anyway, I hope this helps in your quest to find the origin.

Ron
Sam Tabar
View Profile
Inner circle
Austin, Texas
1050 Posts

Profile of Sam Tabar
I have Michael Ammar's book in front of me and he pretty much set the record straight for the Crazy Man's Handcuffs historical credit. Here's an excerpt from his book.

"Arthur Setterington, from England, apparently invented the effect itself. Herb Zarrow (of Zarrow Shuffle fame) realized its potential and cleaned up the handling enough to fool those who might have seen this little known effect before. Mr. Zarrow showed it to Lou Tannen, who then pushed it for its inclusion in Tarbell Seven. Harry Lorayne, one of magic's greatest authors, wrote the seventh volume in the Tarbell series, but since Mr. Zarrow didn't personally walk Harry through the handling, it was innacurately written up. In the meantime, Dennis Marks (a member of New York's "Inner Circle) moved to Los Angeles, California. Dennis was able to perform the illusion beautifully, so before long, it became a pet secret of the L.A. "magical underground". Finally, Dennis showed it to Bob Jardine, who became the resident magician at the Magic Castle for awhile. Few have ever performed this as well as Bob, so it soon became his trademark effect. It is fairly safe to say that anyone else in the country who does this effect, and that includes myself and David Copperfield, does it because they saw one of these three people doing it."

I hope that helps. And oh by the way, Ammar credits Daryl for the title, "The Crazy Man's Handcuffs".
"Knowledge comes from finding the answers, but understanding what the answers mean is what brings wisdom." - Anonymous
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Brian and Ron,

Thanks Guys. I really appreciate the information. That seems clears up the mystery.

Now if only Vinny would provide the info on Slydini that he alluded to....However, based upon the quote of Michael Ammar's provided by Bob (see above post), it is likely that Slydini's version came after Setterington's.

The guys of the Macic Café are collectively just such a great magic resource. What a treasured resource is the Café. Thanks again to all who have help me in this quest.

Mike

Eschew obfuscation.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Turk
If I may add to the history of this trick. I have seen Harlan, Sankey, Reindfleisch, Vinny Marini, and from England Peter Roberts all take a fresh look at this trick since Copperfield introduced it to most of us, so if you want to research the history remember it is still evolving.
Al
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
rmorrell
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of rmorrell
Hi Mike,

Not a lot to add to what has already been said, just that Arthur Setterington happens to be a long time friend and my mentor and teacher... and a clever guy to boot! He has just passed his 1000 trick in print and still going strong inventing and writing.

His 'Penetrating Bands' as far as I know first saw print in Peter Warlocks Pentegram Magazine and was originally titled 'Get Away' and as already stated Herb Zarrow refined the handling to what we know and use today. I believe this was published around the mid 70's ... I too would be interested to note the date of the Slydini publication and how this differs to the CMH handling we all know and love.

I use CMH all the time, and it is my go to trick which I have done in all my travels for everyone I meet, not just as a nod to Arthur but because it is a fantastic effect that never fails to get gasps, I do a simple routine about a close-up version of the linking rings, that starts backwards with them unlinking, and I do the basic CMH routine finishing where the spectator holds one band between their fingers and I have the other behind and it penetrates through. I then say that some people ask if I can actually link the bands, and then I go into Dan Harlan's linking band routine, I'm currently learning Joe Rindfleisch's refined Jo-Dan link from his new DVD (or it is in Elastrix vol2). Then if they still want more I will give them a mock explanation saying I can break the band and put it back together, and do a broken and restored band.

I know I will be doing this routine for the rest of my magical life, please treat it well, and it will give you back so much in the reactions of your audience.
Rich Morrell
---
The Magician Blog
Jon Allen
View Profile
V.I.P.
England
1771 Posts

Profile of Jon Allen
I can add something here. A few years ago, I lectured up in Hull and was honoured to see Arthur sitting in the front row. I have some touches on CMH in my lecture and was nervous with the inventor sitting there. I asked him how he came to invent the trick. He told me that he based it on the old AMtchstick penetration effect where two matchsticks are eahc pressed agaisnt the pad of the index finger and thumb. He wantesd to do it differently and came up with a way of doing it with rubber bands. So it came to be that millions of rubber bands instead of matchsticks are used by magicians each year.

Just a little more insight for you.
Creator of iconic magic that you will want to perform.
The Silent Treatment, The Pain Game, Paragon 3D, Double Back, Destination Box and more.
Available at www.onlinemagicshop.co.uk
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Quote:
On 2005-12-04 19:19, rmorrell wrote:
Hi Mike,

Not a lot to add to what has already been said, just that Arthur Setterington happens to be a long time friend and my mentor and teacher... and a clever guy to boot! He has just passed his 1000 trick in print and still going strong inventing and writing.

WOW!! 1000 tricks in print. Have many of these been compiled into a book(s) of Setterington effects?

Eschew obfuscation.
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10972 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
ILL DO SOME UNPACKING AND FIND THE Slydini BOOK .....for date published and so forth,,
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Quote:
On 2005-12-05 11:15, vinsmagic wrote:
ILL DO SOME UNPACKING AND FIND THE Slydini BOOK .....for date published and so forth,,
vinny

Thanks, Vinny. Just pulling your chain.

Really, I can't believe that you are the only Café member who owns a copy of this Slydini material. I had half expected some other member to have already posted on this issue. But, then again,....you might just own an original single copy of some Slydini material. (grin)

Mike

Eschew obfuscation.