The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Le Clair hook up question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Brillus
View Profile
New user
Italy
73 Posts

Profile of Brillus
Which kind of puttywax do you use with this particular hook up?
I tried with "ammr flesh colored putty" but it sticks too much on cards
and on me!
Hard kind of wax seems work better but is too visible (if you know this hook up
you know what I mean).
So... let me know.
KenW
View Profile
Elite user
439 Posts

Profile of KenW
Try using Mounting Putty from Staples. I don't color it myself but that is up to you.
Good luck
KW
Brillus
View Profile
New user
Italy
73 Posts

Profile of Brillus
Thank you Ken, I think is a bit difficult finding this kind of putty here in Italy... I'll try.
Richard Lucas
View Profile
Special user
TX fornow- MemberMagicCastle'65-'88
737 Posts

Profile of Richard Lucas
"Blue Tack" used to hang posters, cards, etc. on walls is very good. You can add acrylic paint of any color to adjust to your needs. If you can't find it there let me know (PM)and I'll mail some that I have made.

All the best,

Dick Lucas
"The only difference between a Card Cheat and a Magician is that the Magician shows off.".......... Jay Ose 1965

Dicklucas
Mediocre the Great
View Profile
Inner circle
Rich Hurley
1062 Posts

Profile of Mediocre the Great
I use Jon LeClair's putty. Sometimes it gets a little too gooey, so I knead in a little powdered plaster until I get the desired consistency.
Mediocrity is greatly under rated!
--------------------------------------------

Rich Hurley aka Mediocre The Great!
www.RichHurleyMagic.com
Flo
View Profile
New user
Paris
50 Posts

Profile of Flo
I use hard clear wax (it looks like my nail). It works very well.
Sooty
View Profile
Regular user
London, England
140 Posts

Profile of Sooty
I use the putty supplied with the Le Clair book.

I've also used hard white magicians wax with no problems.
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
Quote:
On 2005-10-26 13:53, Sooty wrote:
I use the putty supplied with the Le Clair book.

I've also used hard white magicians wax with no problems.

That the route I go but if you have to, go to staples or home depot you should find them there.
Richard Lucas
View Profile
Special user
TX fornow- MemberMagicCastle'65-'88
737 Posts

Profile of Richard Lucas
Jose:

I need a zip code.

Dick Lucas
"The only difference between a Card Cheat and a Magician is that the Magician shows off.".......... Jay Ose 1965

Dicklucas
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
The secret to using this stuff, is: Use a VERY small amount!

Just enough to fit UNDER the nail...not on top! The "other location" needs a little more, but you can place it where it cannot be seen, just a little dab can be strategically placed "out of the line of sight", making sure your audience is positioned somewhat in front of you.

This is the hookup I use in broad daylight, turning so I cast a shadow on the "work" area. A busy-patterned shirt helps a lot too.

Doug
DonB
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of DonB
You can buy white poster tac at any art supply store. While you are there you can buy pigment to match your skin tone and use it to dye the poster tac. Give the pigment a little time to set and you're set.
magicdoctor
View Profile
Veteran user
Wi.
377 Posts

Profile of magicdoctor
I use Le Clair's putty on my finger nail,and then I use a small piece of surgical tape for a hookup behind my ear.works great and I have'nt been busted yet.
Michael Von Schroeder [url]www.vonmagic.com[/url]
elbruno
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of elbruno
Scotch tape, particularly the non-shiny kind, works fine behind the ear also. While I use hard wax under my nail, most putties that you can pick up at most office supply stores work well.

There have been suggestions for coloring the putty on other threads. Experiment with flesh colored makeup (like a powder). Some works well, others cause the putty to break down.