The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Ring on Shoelace (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
krantis
View Profile
Regular user
AUSTRALIA
106 Posts

Profile of krantis
Hello all. Does anyone know where I can get the proper ring on shoelace that coperfield performed.? Also is the one up for grabs on the Hocus Pocus site the real thing.?
Cheers
Mike
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
What Copperfield did was Chris Kenner's and is not for grabs. I don't think anyone should do the EFFECT... regardless of who makes and sells it. Unless Kenner puts it on the market.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Quote:
On 2005-09-22 01:50, Pete Biro wrote:
What Copperfield did was Chris Kenner's and is not for grabs. I don't think anyone should do the EFFECT... regardless of who makes and sells it. Unless Kenner puts it on the market.

Pete are you suggesting that the item Hocus-Pocus is selling is an unauthorized verison (or rip-off) of the Cris Kenner effect or that the Hocus-Pocus item is totally different from Chris Kenner's version? Thanks for the info.

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
Jeff007
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of Jeff007
I am very familiar with both versions, effects and methods. However, the main difference between the two is the "hook-up" and the destination of the ring. In Kenner's, the "hook-up" is MUCH more natural and deceptive and the ring seemingly reappears within the knot. For the item featured on hocus-pocus, the effect comes with very terribly written instructions even when you know what it is supposed to do, is very difficult to hide the "hook-up", and the ring seemingly reappears on a loop of one of the laces.

As a further note, Kenner's version looks just as it should, like a little shoe with shoe laces. I got a chance to see the match to the original pair of shoes that he used to design the effect in the first place. The end result looks just like the one that has had nothing done to it (except being for the opposite foot obviously Smile). The one on hocus-pocus does not look as it should, and falls short if your audience is sitting very close to you.

If you were to ask my opinion, I would vote for saving your money. If you have any misdirection skill, the effect called "On Foot" is a better version in my opinion, and is much more powerful than both in my opinion. Sometimes a simple way to do something can be much better in the long run. However, if I had to pick the little shoe offered by hocus-pocus, or "On Foot", I would choose neither. However, I did choose both, and was not satisfied with either.

Kenner's version would be quite easy to make and even manufacture, I will just pray that he releases it someday.
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3619 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
Quote:
On 2005-09-22 01:50, Pete Biro wrote:

Oh, I don't think Mr. Kenner would mind.
RevJohn
View Profile
Inner circle
Oregon City Oregon, Oregon
2473 Posts

Profile of RevJohn
Doesn't sound like Pete was giving any opinion but his own. Kenner might not mind, but Pete has the right to (and I think it is of the right mindset).

But then again, you may have been joking (grin).

John
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I will be in touch with Kenner soon and find out WHAT HE REALLY FEELS ABOUT THIS.
boboshempy
View Profile
Veteran user
Jersey
373 Posts

Profile of boboshempy
Any news on this Pete?
clusters
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of clusters
Isn't Kenner's version in one of his booklets? It's called 'the right stuff' if I'm not mistaken?
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
I believe Mike Close has a great effect on this in his Signature DVD.
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Not heard from Kenner, he's on the road with Copperfield.
Dr Marvin
View Profile
New user
Florida
91 Posts

Profile of Dr Marvin
Quote:
On 2006-04-18 05:43, clusters wrote:
Isn't Kenner's version in one of his booklets? It's called 'the right stuff' if I'm not mistaken?

Nope, it does not appear in the book. A version of ring on string appears in there, which is not even close to the Copperfield routine.

Dr Marvin
April 18,2006