The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Torn and Restored Newspaper (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
fcchief
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of fcchief
Hope this is in the right forum, if not please move to proper one. I have a question, I have the video Torn & Restored Newspaper by Gene Anderson from the Greater Magic Series. Problem is not sure of the dimensions of one item he shows how to make. I don't think this is exposure, but if anyone could help me it would be greatly appreciated. In the video it is covered in tape. He mentions a size, but I am not sure if that is the total length or each side of the device. Thanks
trainspotter
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of trainspotter
Just try what seems intuitively reasonable.. experiment with different sizes.
jezza
View Profile
Elite user
469 Posts

Profile of jezza
I have just purchased the no tear torn and restored newspaper and it is instantly resetable and is very practical (its one of the few effects ive bought recently that hasnt ended up on the magic garbage pile)
fcchief
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of fcchief
Thanks all, I have No Tear also, but want to do the Anderson version due to some patter and situation I will be in. I emailed Gene Anderson off his website and he responded back within 2 hours, and that was at 10pm at night!!! Great guy and very helpful!! Now that is what I call customer support!
Mike Squires
View Profile
New user
Dallas
56 Posts

Profile of Mike Squires
I saw Mr. Anderson do the paper tear in a show last Sunday evening. It was fantastic. I love that it uses multiple sheets and is displayed so openly.

I believe Johnny Brown had a version of Gene Anderson's that was repeatable.

Mike Squires
My New User status suggests that I've generally known when to keep my mouth shut.
Dusty the magic clown
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of Dusty the magic clown
I am not sure which of these rountines to buy is there a big difference in them?it in the presentation or how it is done? (Without revealing specifics of course,) I don't know and I cant afford to buy all of them, I want to know if there is one method over another you would recommend for beginners?
Bobby Forbes
View Profile
Inner circle
virginia beach, VA.
1571 Posts

Profile of Bobby Forbes
Have any of you guys seen Osterlinds newspaper tear? It's fantastic.
cosermann
View Profile
Regular user
Indiana
144 Posts

Profile of cosermann
I have Anderson's BOOK in addition to the video. Both are worth having IMO. The book will help clear up your questions and if I recall, has more material NOT included on the video. Diamonds Magic and Hank Lee have it for about $18.

Hank Lee also has a photo illustrated manuscript of JUST the newspaper tear for $10, but I have not seen it. The book has other material and I think is a better buy.
Regards,
Eric
Steve Haffner
View Profile
Regular user
Kentucky
108 Posts

Profile of Steve Haffner
Another version worth looking into is on Alex Elmsley's Tahoe Sessions Volume 4 video. The restore looks more "natural" then some versions because the torn edges don't suddenly disappear at one time.

I don't know if it would fit your situation, but I think it's a good one.

- Steve
cosermann
View Profile
Regular user
Indiana
144 Posts

Profile of cosermann
Mercury,

Are you referring to the No Tear? In the Anderson version the torn edges are visible right up to the flash restoration at the end.
Regards,
Eric
Steve Haffner
View Profile
Regular user
Kentucky
108 Posts

Profile of Steve Haffner
I haven't seen the No Tear, so I don't know if it's similar. Elmsley doesn't call it that, so I'm thinking it's a different method. He tears the paper into 16ths, and then starts to "unfold" it. As he does you can still see a torn edge through about half the restore (from what I recall).

I'm not sure what flash restoration refers to since I haven't seen No Tear.

- Steve
cosermann
View Profile
Regular user
Indiana
144 Posts

Profile of cosermann
The flash restoration is part of the Anderson method as I do it. The paper is ripped, the move is made (torn edges still facing audience), then poof! the paper is flipped open whole. I don't unfold anything. The paper is flipped open in its entirety in 1 move.
Regards,
Eric
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4758 Posts

Profile of emyers99
I have them all: Anderson, No-tear, Elmsley, Osterlind, Slydini, Shaxon, Abbotts torn and restored drink in newspaper, Joel Bauer and probably a few more that I forgot. There is no comparison in my book. Anderson's is the best by far. You can't beat the fairness of the tear and the quickness of the restoration. No-tear is fine but I think you lose a lot by not tearing it in front of them.

Kevin James does a version of the Anderson tear that involves a flash restoration (literally) in that it uses fire. I haven't seen him do it but it's on his lecture dvd I believe.
Vraagaard
View Profile
Inner circle
Copenhagen, Denmark
1485 Posts

Profile of Vraagaard
Quote:
On 2005-09-14 18:17, daddyof2 wrote:
Have any of you guys seen Osterlinds newspaper tear? It's fantastic.

I second that, absolutely a stunner. The spectator chooses the page in a newspaper and sign the page. Then it is torn and restored - just marvellous - and easy.

Osterlind has created yet another ingenious effect.
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10972 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Joel Bauers three second torn and restored newspaper video is hard to beat .
Although Bauer did not create this effect his finesses complements the flash restoration ,,,,and the gimmick can be made in a couple of minutes....
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Ever see Goldfinger (Jack Vaughan) do the Anderson tear to the music "The Stripper" man that is so coooooooooooooool... and will foooooooooooooool Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
MagikDavid
View Profile
Loyal user
Cincinnati, OH
297 Posts

Profile of MagikDavid
Anderson's gets my vote. The first time I saw it performed was by Doug Henning. The flash restoration at the end is hard to beat. (IMHO)

Dave
One good thing about being wrong...
Is the pleasure it brings to others.
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Quote:
On 2005-09-20 22:13, Pete Biro wrote:
Ever see Goldfinger (Jack Vaughan) do the Anderson tear to the music "The Stripper" man that is so coooooooooooooool... and will foooooooooooooool Smile

I agree, Pete. Where did you see this? I saw it on a video; it was part of a show called "A Bare Touch of Magic". Is Goldfinger's performance of this effect on any other video?

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10972 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Yes Pete I have seen godfingers performance and the effect is good but noas good as bauers.
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of dpe666
When doing multiple shows such as at a trade show or school assemblies, etc Joel Bauer's is by far the most practical. Smile