The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Hindu/Gypsy Thread thread? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
mvmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Has written
1322 Posts

Profile of mvmagic
No, there is no typo in the subject...

I have ran out of the thread I used on the effect. It was yellowish cotton thread, about as thick as the wire paper clips are made from. It was very easy to break (using flame doesn't fit my routine) and thick enough to make the prep easy.

I have searched every possible shop here and have not found a thread that is easy to break. Does anyone have a good source for thread? I'd like to get it in a large spool. Thanks.
Sent from my Typewriter
Jonathan P.
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1484 Posts

Profile of Jonathan P.
Where do you live, I bought an enormous spool of yellow thread that breaks as a charme. In french, this thread is called "fil a batir" and in knitting/sewing shops, it is know as a thread which is used to "pre-sew" cotton pieces. Once they are "pre-sewn", you use regular thread to put the definitive work on it.
I hope this will help...
Jonathan.
mvmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Has written
1322 Posts

Profile of mvmagic
I live in Finland, so we're almost neighbours Smile I looked for the thread you suggested in all shops in my home town and they hadn't even heard of it. If the spools aren't insanely large, I could PayPal you the money for thread and shipping, if you could get me a spool.
Sent from my Typewriter
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
You need to go into a sewing shop and buy "basting thread" it is soft and breaks very easily.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
This is Basting Thread is very hard to find. In the USA our basting thread is very thin, but it works. It seems basting thread in Europe is heavier or thicker. I suppose that is why the thread is supplied with the trick most of the time.

If all else fails go to a Tailor's shop that make custom suits, see if they will sell you some.

Basting thread is usually white only. If you had something of a dirrerent color, maybe you had mending yarn. This breaks easily and is used to repair or attach parts of knitted clothing, such as a sweater.
Brian Tanner
View Profile
Loyal user
Ohio
297 Posts

Profile of Brian Tanner
I concur with Mr. Biro and Wmhegbli. Basting thread is the best choice for this effect. If you still are unable to procure some, you may want to try embroidery thread.It's available in many different colors. It is also the thread supplied with Mike Wong's Dragon Thread.
mvmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Has written
1322 Posts

Profile of mvmagic
Thanks so much, everyone. In all honesty, I never thought finding a suitable thread was this hard Smile I have found much more uncommon things way easier-and faster. Quite interesting, really.
Sent from my Typewriter
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Mike Wong's "dragon thread" is DIFFERENT... with his you can repeat the trick over and over with the same thread. It is awesome but harder to do.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
mvmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Has written
1322 Posts

Profile of mvmagic
Thank you everyone for your input. Pete, someday I'll check "Dragon Thread" out. Especially great thanks to Jonathan, who was kind enough to send me a HUGE spool of "fil a batir", which works like a charm. I am set for life now, thread-wise Smile
Sent from my Typewriter
Vraagaard
View Profile
Inner circle
Copenhagen, Denmark
1489 Posts

Profile of Vraagaard
Hi Mvmagic,

Go visit a taylor shop where the sew suits and dresses - they will definately have the thread because they use to pre-sew with it all the time.

Good luck
mvmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Has written
1322 Posts

Profile of mvmagic
Hi Vraagaard

Thanks for the tip. I try to remember it in the future...but I have so much thread now that I propably don't as I will be way too old... Smile
Sent from my Typewriter
Allan
View Profile
Elite user
405 Posts

Profile of Allan
Try & find an all cotton thread (no polyester). I think it might be suitable for your use as it breaks easily.