The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Fearsons Floating Cigarette (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Frozen Toast
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of Frozen Toast
Hey Gang,

I have had this illusion for a while now and after hours of practicing can now perform it properly with several variations on the routine described. I am confident that once I can get the cigarette into my hand or mouth for the start of the routine I'm away - the problem I have is setting the gimmick up at home to take out and set up to go when I want to perform it. I have tried a few different ways , one being wrapping round the cigarette and storing it in a box until I want to take it out, but this can get messed up when unravelling - I also tried setting it up on me and waiting for the right moment, but moving can cause problems and the effect has gone *broken" before I got to perform it. I use it in pubs n clubs n general events as an impromtu - I love it but wondered if any of you guys have any better ways of handling the setup ???

Thanks for your help !!
BobbyJ
View Profile
New user
Tucson, Az
48 Posts

Profile of BobbyJ
I always keep mine set up by wrapping the IT around the cig. and putting it back in the pack. don't wrap it all in one place though. With it tied in the center I
hold the IT along the side to one end then wrap it from one end to other. Usually I start at the tip and end at the filter then stick the end with wax to the end of the filter. This way I can also tell which cigs in the box are rigged. Just look for the wax. Hope this helps. BobbyJ
Frozen Toast
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of Frozen Toast
Wicked - thanks !!

I wrap mine the other way round and it always get tangled.......... will try your way and see how I get on !
BobbyJ
View Profile
New user
Tucson, Az
48 Posts

Profile of BobbyJ
Hope it works for you, if not let me know. We'll come up with something else.
Comet
View Profile
Loyal user
235 Posts

Profile of Comet
I was working on this problem when this first came out. A friend and I were working on this for a few days while I was living in Germany. We came up with a gimmick that fit into a box of cig (BOX) we have two set ready to go and I think 6 more that only need to be moved into the "ready" spot. If I can find it after I move I'll take a pic of it for you. the nice thing about this is you can get the darn thing ready to float BEFORE you even open the cig box. We even called Fearson up from Germany to see if he was interested in us sending him one and he wasn't. I'll let you know if I find it when I get moved. right now everything is packed.
enjoy!!
Joe Comet
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3836 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
Quote:
On 2005-08-17 18:45, Comet wrote:
I was working on this problem when this first came out. A friend and I were working on this for a few days while I was living in Germany. We came up with a gimmick that fit into a box of cig (BOX) we have two set ready to go and I think 6 more that only need to be moved into the "ready" spot. If I can find it after I move I'll take a pic of it for you. the nice thing about this is you can get the darn thing ready to float BEFORE you even open the cig box. We even called Fearson up from Germany to see if he was interested in us sending him one and he wasn't. I'll let you know if I find it when I get moved. right now everything is packed.
enjoy!!
Joe Comet

I would also like to see that Joe.
"Til Death us do part!" - Weepin Willie
View Profile
Loyal user
222 Posts

Profile of 12345
Yes its a great and powerful magic trick, its just the set up that might give you problems, but I still love this trick after years and years of playing around with it, its still one of my favourits tricks to watch and perform
Pavel
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of Pavel
Joe, I also like the effect and have trouble with the set up, can you help me with this too. And also I found it difficult to get rid of the gimmick after I finish, I can't think of something more practisal than just break the gimmick, if anyone have ideas, please post it or PM me. I need help.
"Truth without Magic does not exist" J.Faulz
View Profile
Loyal user
222 Posts

Profile of 12345
Just burn it like Fearson says and its gone, and slowly move your hand that its attach to away from your body so the I.T. slides of your head
troller
View Profile
Loyal user
276 Posts

Profile of troller
I found an easy way to hook it up, but it is close up distance prone. I wrap my IT around a credit card. Each end has a bit of wax on it and I fasten the wax to the credit card on one end only. I place this into a business card holder. I place a piece of paper between the holder and the side that has the wax on it to prevent messyness.

When ready, hook it up as usualy around the you know what, and then place the one end of wax onto the cig. The wax can be easily flattened quickly and then stick it to the mid of the cig. It hold pretty good and cannot be seen from a distance. If up close however, it is seen and will be suspect. The way around this would be to flatten out the wax as much as possible to the point where it is almost transparent. It wraps around quite nicely or just stick it to one side. It hold amazingly and if anyone come in to examine it, it is easily taken off and hand the spectator the cig for examination.

Careful when handling your wax. Clean hands and fingers are a must. Any dirt will darken the wax and ruin a good effect. White wax looks pretty good on the cig since it is the same color as the cig. I use a wax called Magician's Wax, Robbins E-Z Magic. Very sticky and very white. CLearer if flattened.

No more tying and fussing about. Since the IT is around a credit card with both ends waxed, it is simply a method of unsticking one end of the ball of wax and let it hang. Continue to spool it out until it is hanging from the other end of wax that is still sticking to the credit card. (Credit Card that is old an no longer used. The card is stiff and provides for the perfect wrap.) Unloosen the last end and stick it to your floatable item. Since the other end has the ball of wax on it already, it is easily seen by you and you can proceed as the trick is suppose to be done.
JosephKerr
View Profile
Elite user
Los Angeles
423 Posts

Profile of JosephKerr
Yeah- Wrapping it around a playing card works well for me but I always walk with some IT in my bag so that I can strip extra lengths when needed. If I am going to do a parlor set I will prepare an extra Cig. and leave it attatched to a wall where it can be ready to go in two seconds if the first should fail before I go on stage.
"Challenge Your Reality"
BobbyJ
View Profile
New user
Tucson, Az
48 Posts

Profile of BobbyJ
Hey Joe, I, too, would like to see the gimmick you came up with. Let us know when you get a pic. BobbyJ
spatlind
View Profile
Special user
still moving
863 Posts

Profile of spatlind
Me too Joe, look forward to seeing it. Scott
Actions lie louder than words - Carolyn Wells

I believe in God, only I spell it Nature - Frank Lloyd Wright.
Comet
View Profile
Loyal user
235 Posts

Profile of Comet
Hey everyone. I tried to email the pictures to you of the gimmick that I had told you about for the Fearson's floating cig. I hope some of you were able to receive it and use it. hope it helped
enjoy!
Joe
Bairefoot
View Profile
Inner circle
1097 Posts

Profile of Bairefoot
Hello everyone. Just an idea I have been doing a floating soda can for the past couple of years. I did it as opener at 4F this year. Same hook up but with a soda can. I have the spinning card and moves along with the soda can floating and hook up with IT on DVD. Super strong IT. If you want one pm me.
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
Quote:
On 2005-11-27 23:36, Comet wrote:
Hey everyone. I tried to email the pictures to you of the gimmick that I had told you about for the Fearson's floating cig. I hope some of you were able to receive it and use it. hope it helped
enjoy!
Joe

At all possible to include an e-mail for me? What would you need as proof of knowing the method?
RickThibau
View Profile
Loyal user
Brazil
255 Posts

Profile of RickThibau
Just a tip.. Smile

I do like 40 ou 50 every time I make then and then I keep a stock.
The best way to carry then around (inside the case or something) in my opinion is not inside the cigarette box.

There are small tubes of M&M´s just about the size of a cigarette, you can keep 3 or 4 FT´s inside. I carry then like this because sometimes you have problems with wax falling out from the mouth of the cig. Then before the gig I put one of the FT´s inside of a cigarette box, just one gimmicked in there.

I don't smoke by the way. have here funny photos of me making 50 floating cigarettes!!! Smile
Comet
View Profile
Loyal user
235 Posts

Profile of Comet
Just to clear up some questions I've been getting. the emial I've sent to some of the people on the magic Café are not a method for floating but rather a holder to hold 2 cigs ready to float and 7 backups. the reason I made this was two fold. One was to hold the cigs in a normal cig box and the second was so that I could hookup right in front of the audience before I open the cig box to remove the cig. all of this can be covered by simply picking up the cig box drawing no attention to it. hooking up and running your fingers through your hair (if you're lucky enough to have hair lol) THEN you would open the box as normal and remove a cig. It also gives me the ability to do this impromptu or at any time during the show.
a friend of mine and I came up with this while I was stationed in Germany and we've both been using this in our shows for over 15 years now.
hope this clears up any misunderstanding. sorry for the confusion
ENJOY
Joe Comet