The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Which reel would you recommend? (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
oombob
View Profile
Special user
Canada
850 Posts

Profile of oombob
I am looking to do "Silk through Mike Stand"...any product recommendations as to what would be best for this effect? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
Richard Doyle
View Profile
Regular user
Maryland
125 Posts

Profile of Richard Doyle
The Stealth Retractor would be your best choice.

Richard
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Paul Diamond's reel seems to be the best made. He's not running Diamond Magic anymore, but I think they're still available.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3885 Posts

Profile of Julie
If you can find a Kirkendal(sp?) reel> it's almost as easy to fix as the Paul Diamond version and as fast as a P&L.
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hi:

I don't know if you're familiar or not with the utility device, so sorry if I'm telling you what you already know. You need a hand-held reel to accomplish the effect of a silk penetrating a mic stand (you can do many other effects with a reel, BTW).

The models that Julie and Dave mentioned are good, but like they said, may be hard to find. Another option is the Owen reel. I have one and it's very smooth and quiet - I like Kirkendal a bit better, but George Kirkdendal has died and his reels aren't made anymore.
I believe the Owen reel is about $75.00. Quite expensive, but worth it. You don't want to use any of the IT reels as they're designed for another purpose.

Again, sorry if you know all of this already!

Ron
oombob
View Profile
Special user
Canada
850 Posts

Profile of oombob
Richard, Dave, Julie, Ron,

Well thank you all for your thoughtful advice and recommendations! Precisely the input I was looking for. Everyone sells ITR's these days and I had no clue where to start in choosing a "traditional" reel. (These are the purchases that are often difficult to justify to my wife ($100?....for a KirkenDaal?.....and it does whaaat?....)

Thanks again all!
Vibono Magic
View Profile
Special user
Växjö,Sweden
647 Posts

Profile of Vibono Magic
Try El Ducos "Swedish reel".
Vibono Mirage
Magic entertainer and Balloon artist
Paul Chosse
View Profile
V.I.P.
1955 - 2010
2389 Posts

Profile of Paul Chosse
If you are buying the reel for this one effect, there is no need. You can do the effect without a reel...

Best, PSC
"You can't steal a gift..." Dizzy Gillespie
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
You're right again, Paul...been doing it that way since my Kirkendall's spring broke! I still love the reel, though...wish I could replace it! Smile

Doug
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
For that effect you can do it sans reel, but the reel is best. A cheap reel will work fine, but ITR types are totally useless. You can check eBay from time to time, too. I think Fantasio sells a nice plastic one that is reasonably cheap.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
threeofclubs
View Profile
New user
25 Posts

Profile of threeofclubs
I have the PM Magic Reel, and it works great!
magicmafia22
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of magicmafia22
I like my Thread Boss 2000-$18

Does anyone know if Mark Allen's Underground TM is good (better than the thread boss?)
joanmonse
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of joanmonse
Hi, I'm using it every day with total success in all kind of lighting, even in direct sunlight!

I recommend it for its size, perfect for close up and stage too. Also for its design, for the really near to invisibility fiber-thread that is incredible hard (I never broke it!).

Well, I'm not brother or cousin of Mark, hahahah, but I'm still using several Sorcery Manufacturing ITR's (depending effect...) but my really favourite ITR is the Mark Allen's TM2.

Good luck!

Joan Monse
gerard1973
View Profile
Special user
Michigan, U.S.A.
688 Posts

Profile of gerard1973
Magicmafia22 and joanmonse:

You are getting ITRs (Invisible Thread Reels) and Traditional Reels mixed up. They are different utility items used for different purposes. ITRs are used for levitation effects and Traditional Reels are used for the retraction of an item.
"Confusion is not magic."
Dai Vernon
Starromeo
View Profile
Regular user
134 Posts

Profile of Starromeo
I saw Todd Lassen released the utility reel recently. Can anyone told me where I can find materials (books or DVD) regarding the use of the utility reel?
GeorgeG
View Profile
Special user
Thousand Oaks, CA
979 Posts

Profile of GeorgeG
Since the Lassen Utility Reel is essentially a "traditional" reel, any material relating to this type of reel would be appropriate and welcomed.
John Star
View Profile
New user
47 Posts

Profile of John Star
El Duco's have a great reel.

John
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Sadly, El Duco just died, and I don't know if the business will continue.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
magic4545
View Profile
Inner circle
Jimmy Fingers
1160 Posts

Profile of magic4545
Quote:
On 2005-06-02 22:51, Pete Biro wrote:
For that effect you can do it sans reel, but the reel is best. A cheap reel will work fine, but ITR types are totally useless. You can check eBay from time to time, too. I think Fantasio sells a nice plastic one that is reasonably cheap.

What always worked best for me was the Fantasio Candle Pull. White disc shape, about the size of a half dollar, about as thick as a stack of about 3 half dollars. It has NEVER broken in about 20 years.

However, now I do a gimmickless silk through mic stand. No, not just reel-less... completely gimmickless.

JF
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
I recall that Paul DImond had a video on this effect and his presentation with standard reel was very effective.
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations