The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Best Linking Rings close-up routine (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Metius
View Profile
Regular user
Italy
175 Posts

Profile of Metius
What is in your opinion the best close-up linking rings routine (with pattern) ? I decided to move onto the linking rings world as I think they could be a tremendous effect for lay people during a close-up act. Any other suggestion on how to move into this are appreciated. Smile

Thanks
Metius
Eppure una volta avetti sette in latino...(G.Marziano)
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
I currently like the McAbee Rings. I'm not sure if you meant "with pattern" or "with patter" so I can't comment on that yet.

The McAbee's have a nice look, involves spectators at least twice during the routine, and if you stop at the three ring unlink, it has a beautifully visual finish. If you choose to go on from there, you then have the option to have each ring examined when you're done.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Shoot's routine is excellent... however, as I always "preach" the best routine will be one you come up with that fits you and your style. Get the rings and just start playing with them. Work on ideas, think outside the ring! Be creative and at the same time learn the basic classic moves.

Learn to handle them like an expert. This may take a year, but in the end it will be worth it.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I use a no-table variant of the Ninja Rings routine constantly.

I am aiming for a large rings routine soon, however.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Metius
View Profile
Regular user
Italy
175 Posts

Profile of Metius
Quote:
On 2005-04-18 20:53, Dave VanVranken wrote:
I currently like the McAbee Rings. I'm not sure if you meant "with pattern" or "with patter" so I can't comment on that yet.

It was "patter". Smile Sorry for that, but was about 2AM here in Italy and my translation ability was a little down. Smile

Metius
Eppure una volta avetti sette in latino...(G.Marziano)
rikbrooks
View Profile
Inner circle
Olive Branch, Mississippi
1317 Posts

Profile of rikbrooks
Ahhh, Italy. Buon Giorno, Metius - e benvenuto.

There are so many things that you can do with the rings. First, how close up is close up? If you are going to be standing within reaching distance then we are talking about 5 inch rings. The Ninja routine is good for that, but you can use the Royal Magic 5" rings, you get a complete set, then you can do almost any kind of routine that you want.

If you are a little farter away then you can use 8" rings and use traditional routines.

As for patter. There are some really good ones. Of course one shouldn't ignore Symphony of the Rings but personally I do mine silently, to music.
chris mayhew
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto ON, Canada
179 Posts

Profile of chris mayhew
I didn't like linking rings until I saw Murry Hatfield perform them. He has a really good routine in synch to music.
Mr. Muggle
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Mr. Muggle
I like El Duco's close up ring's. You get many moves that you can build into a routine of your own.

MM
"Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it because you're not really looking. You don't really want to know the secret... You want to be fooled." - The Prestige (2006)
zhuanan
View Profile
Veteran user
383 Posts

Profile of zhuanan
For linking Ring, I have always heard positive comments on Ninja Ring from Shoot Ogawa. What do you guys think?
the74rock
View Profile
Loyal user
261 Posts

Profile of the74rock
I do Ninja Rings and they are great fun to practice and perform.
richgerb86
View Profile
Loyal user
Reading, Pa.
204 Posts

Profile of richgerb86
Chris Capehart's routine is great. It is done close up, but you you still use large rings. His routine is out on DVD, it is well worth checking out.
Also Dan Fleshman has a good table hoping routine for the Ninja Rings On vol 3 of his restaurant magic DVD's.
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10972 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
I'm shocked that no one has mentioned Café's own Whit Haydan.

His four ring comedy routine ranks up their with the best of them this can be found on VHs not sure if it is out on DVD.

the godfather
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
Thanks, Vinny. My routine, "Whit Haydn's Comedy Four Ring Routine," is on DVD, but it is ten minutes long and is best as a standup and stage routine.

I would prefer Shoot's Ninja Rings for close-up and walk-around, though personally I never carry anything bigger than a deck of cards for walk-around.
sbroomheadsr
View Profile
New user
Retired, so I only have
59 Posts

Profile of sbroomheadsr
I just puchased Ninja rings after selling my 10" rings. I never felt comfortable with the 10'' rings. Just me probably, but the Ninja rings feel better. It may just be that I like the feel of control I have with the smaller size.

I am not sure how the Ninja rings can be used in a larger setting as some posts have mentioned but I don't think I'll be playing the Palace any time soon. I'm just learning the moves and looking for ways to "personalize" it all.
S Broomhead
ryay
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of ryay
I myself like Sankey's three ring circus. It's done with key rings, which are examinable, and make for a much less suspicious routine.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Cellini's 2 ring routine should also be mentioned. It's beautiful. Done to music, it's hard to beat. A tear-jerker.

I personally didn't like Sankey's routine at all.

Believe me, there's nothing suspicious about a "crash link" when someone is holding onto one of the rings.

Just check out the reaction Whit gets on his DVD with the spectator holding one of them.

There are few better moments in magic than the crash link. Especially the blocked crash link, right before your eyes.

Solid thru solid baby!
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Elliott Hodges
View Profile
Veteran user
England
324 Posts

Profile of Elliott Hodges
Jay Sankey's 3 ring circus is great!
the74rock
View Profile
Loyal user
261 Posts

Profile of the74rock
Shoot Ogawa's ninja rings is great.
JT Kordesich
View Profile
Regular user
Pittsburgh
118 Posts

Profile of JT Kordesich
I'm another vote for Shoot and the Ninja Rings
Illusion: Reality in the mind of the audience.
n3cromanc3r
View Profile
Loyal user
248 Posts

Profile of n3cromanc3r
Chris Capehart gets my vote. Great routine no matter what situation your in.