The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: IT reel question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Sammy the Kid
View Profile
Veteran user
Southern Illinois
314 Posts

Profile of Sammy the Kid
Can someone PLEASE help me to quit breaking the IT in my reel while trying to set up for a float? I have an Indian thread reel and a reel wand and I keep breaking the IT just by pulling it out. I never have this problem when using IT in the Fearson setup. Is it just the thread or am I doing it wrong?

Thanks in advance,
Sammy the Kid
Vibono Magic
View Profile
Special user
Växjö,Sweden
647 Posts

Profile of Vibono Magic
I, too, had that problem with the Indian ITR. Get the original or even better the UFC or the spider pen.
Vibono Mirage
Magic entertainer and Balloon artist
Gary Barnard
View Profile
Regular user
Tennessee
145 Posts

Profile of Gary Barnard
I would also recommend getting the Spider Pen. It is a very good ITR.

Gary
Gary

"It's in the very trickery that it pleases me. But show me how
the trick is done, and I have lost my interest therein."
- Seneca the Younger, In his 45th Epistle to Lucilius
(4 B.C.-A.D. 65)
Sammy the Kid
View Profile
Veteran user
Southern Illinois
314 Posts

Profile of Sammy the Kid
I changed the thread for some stuff I pulled from some wooly nylon and eased the tension on the elastic. It works great now. I am still looking at that spider pen though.

Sammy the Kid
zhuanan
View Profile
Veteran user
383 Posts

Profile of zhuanan
I also recommend Spider Pen...It was sold out several times at a lot of sites
SteveTheMagician
View Profile
New user
98 Posts

Profile of SteveTheMagician
I think that you just need to get used to the reel, thread is very very annoying to use in the "real world" so I avoid it when possible unless at a contest or something.

Is you elastic to tight in the reel? it could have become that way after many breaks.

-Steve! good luck
threadz
View Profile
New user
TN.
37 Posts

Profile of threadz
Sometimes the little rubber bands inside get real tight(twisted tight) and makes a lot more tensions on thread.Take and let bands out(let it untwist some to let off the tension) then reset and it should be ready to go.
www.xtrememagicshop.com

where the magic is limited only by your Imagination!
Terrell
View Profile
New user
bladerunner35@yahoo.com
65 Posts

Profile of Terrell
I just got a Micro ITR last week. The thread broke in seconds after I tried to pull it out. I fixed it finally but it kept snapping. I finally gave up and bought a Super Micro ITR which arrived yesterday. I am walking on eggshells, hoping the stupid thread won't break. I am sure it's a great tool for leviations and such, but I sure hope the thread doesn't keep breaking. I can't afford to keep buying new ones.
Terrell
Conus
View Profile
Special user
657 Posts

Profile of Conus
To be honest with you, I never saw the advantage of using a reel.

Call me slow, but I think free-range thread is the best way to go. You have much more control over the thread - plus you are able to sense its breaking point because you are "directly involved."
gerard1973
View Profile
Special user
Michigan, U.S.A.
688 Posts

Profile of gerard1973
What do you expect for five dollars? Indian reels are garbage. Don't buy them.

Indian ITRs are a cheap inferior knock-off of Sorcery Manufacturing’s Invisible Thread Reels. The problem with Indian ITRs is that they are cheap and not made correctly. The thread either hangs up when coming out of the ITR hole or the thread is torn or cut by the edge of the ITR hole.

ITRs are great but you should buy a good one from Sorcery Manufacturing or one of their dealers (like Penguin Magic for example). The prices of ITRs have come down and now are more reasonable. Also all of Sorcery Manufacturing Invisible Thread Reels come with a lifetime guarantee and you can always send them in for a no questions asked repair. They ship their ITRs with Kevlar Invisible Thread. How can you go wrong?

Gerard
"Confusion is not magic."
Dai Vernon
Jeremy L.
View Profile
Special user
800 Posts

Profile of Jeremy L.
Quote:
On 2005-04-09 02:00, Sammy the Kid wrote:
I have an Indian thread reel and a reel wand and I keep breaking the IT just by pulling it out.

There's your problem. I never did get the point of ITR's. Maybe I should but ETMTM and see how it's correectly done (I probably don't have enough IT backround to understand).
Jeremy L.
Do you buy ethically?
Magic Fakes
gerard1973
View Profile
Special user
Michigan, U.S.A.
688 Posts

Profile of gerard1973
Everybody, please don’t buy cheap, garbage Indian reels. You are just causing yourself problems down the road.

I get troubled when I hear about all the people having problems with their ITRs. I never have any problems with my ITR. I broke my thread once but I did it myself by accident. ITRs are the best way to levitate because everything is contained. ITR's are fast and easy to use. You need to play around a little with the ITR itself and practice a little to get the effect down pat.

I use the ITR 2000 Micro by Sorcery Manufacturing. It is 2” longer than the ITR 2000 Super Micro but it’s easier to use and work on. It also retracts slower (which is what you want) and the thread can be levitated further out from the ITR. I think 15 feet and that’s more than enough for me.

I don’t even want to use an ITR pen because of all of the problems people are having with them. I think that I would also stay away from any electric ITRs or electric ITR pens like the Spider Pen. Stick with a basic ITR model and buy a good one from the inventor of ITRs, Sorcery Manufacturing or one of Sorcery’s authorized dealers.

Gerard
"Confusion is not magic."
Dai Vernon
magicmafia22
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of magicmafia22
What's the best type of ITR to get for close-up levitations? Do you recommend to get an ITR or pay $45 for a spider pen and do you think the spider pen is worth the money?
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Gerard1973 already said it. Sorcery Manufacturing. Buy the original. It's the one people are trying (and failing) to copy. The Spider Pen is a good product, but it just adds one more level of complexity to something that should be fairly simple. Now you have to worry about batteries running down as well as thread breakage.

I have one, but never bothered to do anything with it.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
magicmafia22
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of magicmafia22
Which do you think is better a thread boss 2000 ITR or the original thread boss ITR (their both by Sorcery)
And does anyone know where I could get James George's ITR videos from, I tried his web site but cant find them there, If anyone has a link to them please let me know)
Thanks, Dan
Apprentice
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of Apprentice
I have a spider pen and it's just so much fun to use.

Of course sticking to the original is also a good idea.

If you're having problems with the $5 Indian ITR's then get a good quality Reel whichever one you decide upon.
David Gardener
View Profile
New user
Hamilton, New Zealand
53 Posts

Profile of David Gardener
ITRs are great but you should buy a good one from Sorcery Manufacturing or one of their dealers (like Penguin Magic for example). The prices of ITRs have come down and now are more reasonable. Also all of Sorcery Manufacturing Invisible Thread Reels come with a lifetime guarantee and you can always send them in for a no questions asked repair. They ship their ITRs with Kevlar Invisible Thread. How can you go wrong?

I have a 2000 ITR which has served me really well, but the centre plastic lug has broken away from the inner reel body, is there an address (or weblink) to send this to for repair, I was not aware of the lifetime guarantee.
If not has this happened to anybody else and have you been successful repairing it.
thanks for that.
David
Bill Beach
View Profile
Veteran user
Nashville, TN
304 Posts

Profile of Bill Beach
Here's the link:

http://sorcery.safeshopper.com/about.htm?388

The same thing happened to one on my ITR's a couple of years go, I returned it for repair, and it was promptly taken care of. James George, the inventor of the ITR and head of the company posts here from time to time. You should call or e-mail them for instructions on how they handle the return. As I recall, there is a minimum charge to cover return shipping costs.
Joey Stalin
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1072 Posts

Profile of Joey Stalin
Yeah you might want to try and loosen the elastics in the reel.
-A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.
-It is easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them.
-The secret impresses no one. The trick you use it for is everything.

See you space cowboy...
PennyMagic4U
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of PennyMagic4U
Thanks a million - I have one of the orginal ITR's and it is broke - I am sending it in for repair. I forgot how much I enjoyed when it was working - I am looking forward to getting it back in the routine.

JCPENNY
Simply Magic
PennyMagic4U by Jerry Penny